54" hydraulic angle blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

54" hydraulic angle blade

I purchased a 54" blade for my 1864 about 3 years ago and have only used it once. One of the two springs for the trip portion broke, assuming due to old age. Since cub wants almost 50 bucks each, I'm going a different route. They are similar in size to down pressure springs on a cycloair planter, and we have tons of those, so that's the route I'm going. 14.50 each from Shoup.

In addition to the springs along with modifying the lift for increased up/down travel, I'm going to add hydraulic angle to the blade.

I purchased an 8 x 1.5 cylinder from Amazon for a total of 65.00 shipped, and the hydraulic hoses, tips, and transition els came from surplus center for 50.00 shipped. The brackets will need to be custom built, but all together I'm figuring about 125.00 total material cost for the hydraulic part.

Hoping to start this week.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Looks like a fun project. If everything works out fine after you're done, you could build and sell kits. I'm sure people will buy them as it's cheaper than used Cub Cadet kits go for.
    Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Nice!
      ​​​​​​
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Well, I missed church, so I decided to start on cub stuff. I threaded the hoses and fittings together, then started trying to figure out a Cam extension. I basically copied XMW version for the older cubs, and made it fit this situation. This is the second edition built today, but need to build a few more just to cover all the 1864s I have. It turned out ok look wise, need to get a shorter bolt and locking jam nut but it effectively doubles the cam travel which is what i was after!

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1613&d=1542568759&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=1614&d=1542568789&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=1616&d=1542568822&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=1617&d=1542568884&type=thumb
          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1712&d=1542597151&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=1713&d=1542597181&type=thumb

In the paint booth. Tim wouldn't approve
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Looks like it will work!

Way better than me painting. Did you see my cab in the 1811 thread? Welded on that thing all over and didn't even put primer on it yet. Just rust spots. I don't mind painting... in a controlled or semi controlled environment. But I HATE painting out in the open. I'd rather just leave it bare, lol.
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=3109&d=1544497689&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3110&d=1544497733&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3111&d=1544497786&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=3112&d=1544497861&type=thumb Here's a few pix of my cam extension and lift rod for a cyclops blade lift. Works good in the shop, time will tell in action. The pictures show interference between the lift rod and frame, but actually there is better than a half inch at its closest point. The rub mark is actually from the OEM lift rod.
                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Work for me. Looks good from here.
                  They can't all be turn key.
                  Make the best of each and every day.
                  Todd
                  Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Looks good Trent!
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Nice fabrication skills Trent. I can understand the lift rod is shaped for clearance, but the fact you also followed the body lines makes it look very clean.

Comment

I guess if that’s the best you can do....

Seriously though that looks very nice
                        Doc is right about the lift rod following the body lines, it looks professional.

Comment

Thanks Doc and Terry!

You're right Doc, I actually used a bevel and mirrored the side shield, but chickened out and made the angle a little more obtuse for fear of interference. Along with aesthetics, the rod doesn't interfere with anything! The two angled parts of the rod do run parallel to 1 another. I'm going to shoot for a better match on the next 1. I havent actually measured vertical travel of the blade yet, but it's a little better than OEM Terry!

Comment

Looks good, but I'd wait and use it a bit before I make another. While it likely lifts really good, it may bend when the plow get pushed up from below, like unlevel concrete, or ice buildup, or whatever. Be interesting to see if it bends the rod.
                            ~Jonathan
                            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                              Looks good, but I'd wait and use it a bit before I make another. While it likely lifts really good, it may bend when the plow get pushed up from below, like unlevel concrete, or ice buildup, or whatever. Be interesting to see if it bends the rod.
                              No, it wont bend the rod, ilke I said, the cam extension has a knee action. The blade floats!!! Infact, the blade has the ability to hit the front cowl...

Comment

Working...
                              X