Attaching wheel weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching wheel weights

I need to mount a set of the plastic weights filled with sand/lead/whatever on my 1864. On my 1641 I just used carriage bolts. Is there a better or easier way? I dont want to smash my fingers again.
    Jeff
    62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

Use allthread nutted on front and back of rim. Then just slide the weight on the rods. Makes it way easier

Comment

I was trying to come up with a sleeve that went over the carriage bolt so i could run a nut down and hold it tight, since its not threaded all the way to the head. But I like the all thread idea, especially since I can borrow some from work. Thanks Trent!
      Jeff

Comment

Trent's idea works well!

Personally, I weld two nuts to the rim at the weight hole, opposite each other. Then I made several threaded rods for different size tires, and welded a nut to the end to make a bolt. Just hold the weight up to the rim, and thread in the "bolt". One wrench operation that way.

But I understand not wanting to weld on a rim.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I don't know if it's the same for the plastic weights, but the installation instructions for the metal IH weights calls for all-thread rod. I have the instructions I need to scan in for the tech section. This is why I always laugh at the people who want the IH carriage bolts for the weights.....that's not what the directions call for.
          Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Another way to do it other than welding a nut to the wheel would be to pre fit the weights with the wheel off the tractor.. Run a piece of all thread through the weight and wheel to determine the length needed. Then take the weight off the wheel, attach the all thread in the holes using a jam nut to secure it. Reinstall the wheel, slide the weight over the all thread and run nuts on to hold the weight in place

Comment

Originally posted by Rumblefish View Post
              I like the all thread idea, especially since I can borrow some from work.
              Borrow 😂
              Tanner
              Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Got some threaded rod. Unfortunately the "hardware store" was out of 1/2-13 and I had to buy some. They had plenty of nuts and washers though. Got them mounted and I must say it was 8376 times easier than carriage bolts.
                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X