Rebuilding the H-42 blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding the H-42 blower

I'm finally getting to rebuilding the rest of the drive line on the H-42, I did the first half of the drive shaft, new u-joints, a few years ago and bought the parts for the other half so have that figured out.

That leaves the chain and both sprockets, Messick's site says to call, which I suppose I will but I'm not holding out much hope, the small sprocket is welded to a short shaft that has 2 bearings, replacing those too, then the big sprocket is bolted to the end of the auger and holds a bearing.

I just can't seem to find any good info, I took the parts to Tractor Supply and it seems the chain is a #40, they had the small gear, 18 teeth, but had a 2" dia. hole. Looking on Mcmaster Carr I think I'm looking for Ansi #40 chain sprockets? The hole dia. on the small sprocket is 5/8" need 3/4" suppose I could drill it out and have it welded onto the shaft in place of the old one?

The larger sprocket is 45 teeth and has a 23/32" hole, would my machine shop guy be able to cut that hole to 2", a bearing fits in it, and bore the 6 holes needed to bolt it to the end of the auger?

Chain #30, Large sprocket #29

Large sprocket.jpg IMG_0312.JPG

Small sprocket #33, bearings #31, I think I have a specialty bearing place I can get those, auto parts store couldn't cross them.
    small sprocket.jpg IMG_0310.JPG

Any hints or advise is greatly appreciated, Notice I am doing this in the summer, I'm learning...
    Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Vic
    Beulah, Michigan

Hey Vic! Nice to see you on another project!

If it were me, I'd build a new input sprocket with the shaft. Instead of cutting off the old sprocket and welding on new, I'd just have the whole thing made. You can source that locally, or with Jeff on this site. I'm confident Jeff can make it with ease. As far as the large sprocket, yes buy one with proper tooth count and have it machined to work. Should be easy.

Auto part stores seldom are good at finding bearings. The ones on that blower should be a common bearing. If you have trouble finding them, get me a number off of them.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks Jon,
      I'm pretty sure I can find the bearings, and I'll contact Jeff about that sprocket and shaft, I know what I'm going to get with him.

So just to be sure the chain is a #40 size?

Vic
      Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Vic, the parts book doesn't specify, but I'm am very sure it is a #40 chain. That's what it looks like on my end of the screen, and also what my mind recalls it being from past work. The old chain should have the number 40 on the links if that is what it is. Wipe off a link with a rag and see if it has a number. #40 chain is super common and easy to get.

~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Jon, it sure matches up to a #40 at tractor supply, thanks for confirming, I have a mail in to Jeff to see about the other parts.
          Thanks,
          Vic
          Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Working...
          X