451 Lift Rod Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

451 Lift Rod Repair

We finally got snow last night so I was able to use my 451 for the first time. There was a slight kink in the rod when I got it from the previous owner and it failed today when trying to lift the snowblower when it was caked full of heavy wet snow.

How do I go about repairing this? Tools are somewhat limited. I don’t have the means to reproduce the whole rod but I do have a decent welder.

My thoughts are to grind the threaded rod part of it flat and then weld a bolt to the end of it. So I could still adjust as needed. Of course this is assuming I can get the threaded part out of the end. I think there are enough threads to grab it.

Any other thoughts?
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Yeah.... cut off what's left and weld some all thread to it. I suggest making it at least 1" longer than it was. Mine is a bit too short.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks Jon, I didn’t think about all thread. Did exactly as you suggested and I just got in from finishing the driveway. It worked great. It’s been raining since this morning so it’s all slush. Heavy stuff, I’m impressed with the blower.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Tanner
      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Looks great!
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

That should work for a while.
          Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Working...
          X