IH 295 Planter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IH 295 Planter

Last winter/early spring I FINALLY found an IH 295 row unit. (Actually, I found two. So I got one, and my friend Chris got one.) I had been looking for one for quite some time. I had a Brinly/Cole planter that I had used in my garden, but I wasn't happy with it. I grew up farming, and still do.... so I wanted a "real" planter. Using a push planter wasn't fun, and I didn't get the stand I wanted. The Brinly planter didn't have the enough control to suit me. Seed depth wasn't uniform, and it had a lot of skips and doubles. So.... I moved up to an IH planter.

I brought it home and looked it over. That big seed hopper had to go! I mean, I'm planting a garden, not a field. No need to put a pound of seed in a bushel and a half hopper. I took some trim coil and made a small hopper. Painted it IH white and added a decal, but it needed a lid. Don't want the seed getting dirt in it! I hunted for something to use. One day, I was like why not a lid for a cooking pot? So, I got on amazon and hunted. Finally found a stainless lid with a metal handle. Bought it and painted it black. The metal lid is heavy enough to stay in place and not fall off.

The planter was on a cart, but I plan to make it mounted. Didn't have time this spring, so I used it as it was. Did a great job! VERY happy! Over the winter, I hope to get my 982 up and running, and make the planter 3pt mounted and use it on the 9. Maybe paint it all back up, and ad markers. The rod guide on front works great, but seriously, I like to play.... and I want it to look like a "real" planter, lol.

Here's pics from the process, and it in action!
    image_246.jpg
    175.jpg176.jpg177.jpg181.jpg369.jpg372.jpg399.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

That thing will be awesome once you get it setup for 3 point!
    Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Indiana, PA
    Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

I think so! If no other reason than that hand crank lift sucks!
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Find 3 more row units and make it lift hydraulically. Your 1050 has the guts!

Comment

Oh, there is no doubt the 1050 would pull it. I mean, it's a planter. Problem is, planting would be over too fast and I wouldn't get to play as long. It goes pretty fast as is!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Been looking for one of those for a while now. It would work wonders in our food plots. How much for that one?😁😁
            Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstripewideframe View Post
              Been looking for one of those for a while now. It would work wonders in our food plots. How much for that one?😁😁
              Ok... so without making you or Zippy mad.... The food plot guys kind of frustrate me. They put a huge demand on the market for a small planter, so farmers and welding shops starting buying up old self drive units like the 295, and building small 1 and 2 row planters out of them. They get stupid money for them. Understand, these are obsolete on today's farm. They were being scrapped. So, they were being bought for penny's on the pound, and sold for tens of dollars on the pound. Single rows bring around $500-$700 and two rows around $900 to $1100. Silly money for what they are.

So.... I got creative. I put up an ad on an IH Facebook page and asked if anyone had any of these units lying around. Super nice guy in Indiana about 2.5 hours from me PM'd me and said he had a couple. We talked and he agreed to sell them both, with the cart the one was mounted to and the Gandy insecticide/fertilizer boxes.... ALL.... for $200. D.E.A.L!!! My friend and I went right up and brought them home.

As a note, IH had a couple models of self driven units. Deere had one, and so did Allis Chalmers. I don't care for the AC unit, but I would have taken the Deere unit. Honestly, the Deere and IH unit look very similar. You could probably paint a green one red and most would never know. Deere eventually sold the rights to the unit to an AG manufacturing company (some of you may be familiar with) called Yetter. You can still buy that unit brand new. Don't know the cost.... but they still make them.
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Prices on those things are very stupid crazy hence me not having one. My buddy has white or oliver planter that hasn't been used in years. Could I make one from that?
                Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

I think White/Oliver did have a self drive unit.... You really need a self drive unit to make a garden planter. If it isn't self drive, you have to build a drive, and that can be pretty complicated to get the gearing correct.
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Had to laugh when I saw this thread. Remembered back to that time you posted about the "food plotters". It's all water under the bridge now.
                    They can't all be turn key.
                    Make the best of each and every day.
                    Todd
                    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                      I think White/Oliver did have a self drive unit.... You really need a self drive unit to make a garden planter. If it isn't self drive, you have to build a drive, and that can be pretty complicated to get the gearing correct.
                      Thanks for the info, I would not have thought of that. Thanks
                      Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstripewideframe View Post

Thanks for the info, I would not have thought of that. Thanks

That's why we are here!!
                        ~Jonathan
                        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

here is my planter i bought this spring it was froze up worked vary good

Comment

Nice rig you have there. I'm hoping to find one before next season
                            Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by foghorn View Post
                              here is my planter i bought this spring it was froze up worked vary good
                              Looks like a model 184 or 186 row unit. Nice score!

Do you garden with it? What did you pull it with?

Tell us more!!!
                              ~Jonathan
                              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X