Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats an awsome planter, J-Mech

Comment

Thanks Keith. I think I will like it better when it's mounted.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

This is what an AC unit looks like.

Comment

Thanks Terry!
          It's funny.... all of the self drive row units all look very similar. But, that said, all the planter units from that era were pretty similar really.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

All I see down here are the JD 71 planters. Are they any good?

Look what i just found but too far.
            https://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd...755841378.html

Comment

Originally posted by Oak View Post
              All I see down here are the JD 71 planters. Are they any good?

Look what i just found but too far.
              https://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd...755841378.html
              Hey Todd!
              Yes, the JD 71 unit is a great unit. Still in production today matter of fact! Only it's sold now by Yetter. Deere sold Yetter the rights to the 71 unit.

That's not a bad price at all for that planter. Nearly half the going rate for them here. If you have the cash, and want one, I'd grab it fast!

How's that building coming??
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Nice looking planter Jon! It looks to be in really good condition. I really appreciate your knowledge of the small implements that can be used with our beloved Cubs. I'm a "city boy" and still learning about all the equipment.

Comment

Jon, I'm still working and using a lot of fowl language on the new shop. I haven't posted anywhere in a long time but I will start a new thread here this week.

Comment

Have any of you mounted a fertilizer box to one of these? I don't remember the model of the planters that we had on the farm, just the pair of 140's that were stored in the greenhouse. My boss's father liked to plant and fertilize with a belly mounted cultivator that had a self driven fertilizer hopper and a special sweep. He fertilized with 10 10 10 when he planted and high nitrogen once more with the cultivators.

I don't remember the machines much, but it was one of my first jobs on the farm to go put fertilizer bags on the hood of the 140 for him one day while I put stakes up near a blueberry patch. He was 92 years old and I was 16. He finished the last row, said he was done, and about a week later he passed away peacefully. We didn't use the 140's much after that, as they had bigger equipment, and we did all of our specialty planting with belly mounted seeders under an Allis Chalmers G and a John Blue rear engine tractor.

I'd love to have one of the John Blue seed boxes. They did great with cole crops and had plates like a walk behind. That and a fertilizer spreader would be the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesedawg82 View Post
                      Have any of you mounted a fertilizer box to one of these?
                      I have two Gandy boxes that are for the IH planter unit in this thread. I haven't mounted either of them as of yet. Not for any other reason than time. I'd like to get one on. Matter of fact, just Saturday I was cleaning out my yard barn and found the fertilizer box I got off a member of one of the sites. Can't recall which one right now...... anyway, I had forgot I even had it. What I really want to do though, is mount a "saddle" tank to the front of the tractor and use it to put on liquid 28% (nitrogen) for planting my corn. Right now, I just go out after planting and do it by hand. But I have a pretty big garden, and it takes a lot of time to do it. Plus, I want to be able to side-dress the corn again when it gets bigger. If I have a tank, I can do it while I cultivate. I can probably find some pics for you of the 295 planter unit with fertilizer boxes if you want. Also, just throwing this out there...... I have a Brinly/Cole planter that I bought for gardening, but wasn't happy with it. That's why I bought this 295. If you are interested in the Brinly/Cole, PM me. I had been toying with selling it, as it's just sitting and I don't plan to use it now that I have this one. I'd let it go if someone wanted it and was going to use it.
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

How does the brinly planter work with tiny seeds?

My garden is pretty small, I've been looking really hard at adapting an earth way seeder with the Fert-A-Ply accessory (or the cheapo row planter on Amazon) to a sleeve hitch.

I plant about 10 total 40 foot rows from seed at present, and my current seeder is homemade from 2 pieces of tubing and a funnel. (Poke a hole, drop the seed manually) I want one to teach the kids about farming with more than anything.

Comment

I don't know how it would work with small seeds. I've only used it to plant sweetcorn and green beans. For the small, small seeds like radishes and carrots, I use an Earthway. I am sure you could probably get plates to do the small crops. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Brinly/Cole. Seed plates are cast iron, and silly expensive. Like $40 if I remember. Not terrible I suppose, but my IH planter can take CI or plastic plates. Plastic ones are cheap, and I have a lot of them. Other issue I had was it didn't really like soft soil left by a tiller. I had to lightly pack it prior to planting so it would work. I didn't have a garden size cultimulcher, so I used a lawn roller lightly loaded. Then it worked fine! The seed placement and spacing was wonderful!
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

This one really intrigues me, but I don't need 2 rows, I don't see how the fertilizer spreader is driven, making me question the consistency, and I prefer to put fertilizer to the uphill side of the row to avoid burning various seedlings when they pop up, not directly on the rows as such.

https://youtu.be/b7ugrzdCMsA

Now that you made the lawn roller comment, and knowing that I really want a potato hiller, I'm thinking maybe something like this could be attached to a toolbar following a disc hipper and some kind of heavy pipe on an axle to flatten the top of the bed.

I'd still be wishing I had enough space to justify owning a planter like the one that's started the thread, though, that's one tough unit. I need one that plants Cole crops and onions for sure, along with corn, sunflowers, and maybe some cut flowers too. We're trying pretty hard to squeeze every inch out of our space and teach the kids as much as we can.

To get totally crazy and way off topic, I'm experimenting sister planting my corn rows like the indians would have done if they had tractors. The sisters are corn, beans, and squash. - Inoculated bean seeds grow bean plants that actually fix nitrogen into the soil, and provide nitrogen as they grow. Corn needs a lot of nitrogen fertilizer to do really well. Pole beans grow up the cornstalks. Squash grows low and doesn't do particularly well, but it grows great big leaves faster than the weeds can come up, takes too much space elsewhere in the garden. A lot of winter squashes stay on the vine very a long time and store very well, so I put them in the middle of the corn patch. I did zucchini along the outside edge so I could get to them. If there's a way to do all this in one pass, sign me up. At least the beans and corn, I could easily do the vining stuff by hand, as I think I'm gonna try zucchini, butternut squash, Halloween pumpkins, sugar pumpkins, watermelon, and cantaloupes in the corn field this year. Not only will it only be a few seeds of each variety (4 40' rows ain't that big) and that last cultivation/side dress pass might be easier if I started those in the greenhouse and moved them to the garden the next day anyway.

Comment

Jon, with planting the corn and beans together do you get succotash at harvest?(city boy question ha ha)

Comment

My chickens do! I run all the greens and waste from this garden through an 8hp roto hoe shredder and make silage to supplement their feed through the winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X