Irrigation line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irrigation line

I wanted to pick your guys/gals’ brains. I am starting to think about the garden this year and would like to burry a hose/irrigation line out to the garden. It’s about a 100 foot run or so.

Options
    1- use my 10 inch bottom plow, flip over sod, lay pipe and flip sod back over and drive over it to tamp it down. (Rips 10 inch trench in sod)

2- create a pipe layer like so, basically a ground ripper and lay the pipe as I go. (Rips 2 inch trench in sod)
    6D8EFAE0-52BB-46D8-B3F4-50568FB51B7A.jpeg
    3- cable plow/pipe puller/vibratory plow. This I think would be ideal, basically burrow a tunnel underground with a bullet and only create a slit in the sod. And pull the pipe from the start hole. I’ve used a ditch witch like this in the past but i think the big difference is the vibration, I cannot duplicate this. Traction will be the main concern with this approach. (Rips 1/2inch slit in sod)
    image_1999.jpg
    What do you think, would the 1450 be able to pull a 2 inch bullet/cone underground?
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Tanner.... buddy you live in Minnesota. Any water carrying line has to be 30" (min) deep or it will freeze and bust. That or you have to blow it all out and winterize it each year. I'd go rent a trencher and lay a water line and install a hydrant near the garden.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Ahh c’mon there’s no fun in that. 😂 The line would be shut off and blown out/drained in the fall. Luckily there is a slight slope so I think I could get by just by using gravity and opening valves. The last couple years I have been dragging a hose across the yard when watering the garden, I just thought it would be better if the hose/tube was buried 10 or so inches, so I don’t have crank it in and out or have to worry about dead spots in the grass. Irrigation tube is cheap, I think most of the tool could be made with scrap around the garage.

I’ll try a couple different blades/contraptions and see if I can get something to work.

Could also possibly work for installing underground fencing for dogs.

Nonetheless thanks for providing a forum to share my hair brained ideas. The wife doesn’t listen any more. 😉

also, I never have to rotate my phone for photos—- huge win!
      Tanner
      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Well Tanner, I'm glad you like it here!
        What you are proposing will work. I mean, you are just making a mini tile plow. You should be able to pull it unless you have a lot of rock or roots to go through. Whatever you want to build, I'm more than willing to help! Interested to watch too.

But I still think you should just bury a water line and put a hydrant out by your garden.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

^^^^ Especially if your garden will be in the same location for awhile. Put it deep, it's always better buried deep.
          They can't all be turn key.
          Make the best of each and every day.
          Todd
          Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Working...
          X