Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deck preferences?

which style do you like better and why?
    44/50a, 44/50c, (almost but not quite the same, I know) or triangle?
    I am asking because I have each available either here, or not far away on CL// and I have my 129, next in line to hit the garage for its turn at getting TLC// and it's the beginning of winter, best time to build up a deck or 2.... in my case, a derelict 1650 will be donating all of its hyd lift goodies to said 129.

what are the pros and cons of each? (other than center pulley or mule drive swapping, to make one deck fit a different series of tractor)

I like the triangle for "looks," but I am talking in terms of functionality-- suction/ vacuum, quality of cut in equal conditions, ability to "clear itself"/ less likely to clog/ throws clippings furthest clear of chute, etc.
    For my purposes, I am interested in "mow and blow" no mulching or bagging.
    but I post this for everyone's benefit clearly not just my own.
    Aside from the fact that the 44/50 series decks seem to be easier to get blades for (and various levels of "lift") than the triangle decks (duh.. the 44/50 aren't as old yet) my thinking at the moment is it would be a "coin flip" decision if both were available same condition, same price, etc... what are your thoughts? bearings, spindle parts, pulleys and other deck hardware seems to be about as easy to get for one style, as the other....

what are you guys' preferences? and why? different variety of grasses play in? different terrain? or whatever else goes into your preference?
    Don
    Kankakee IL

Actually the triangle 38" decks were offered for as long as the 44/50 decks were if I'm not mistaken. The 44's by design will fan the grass better in damper situations than the 38's will, but I have always thought they mow pretty decent if your expectations are realistic. The 38 will contour the ground better just because of its width, but it just depends on your terrain. About any deck will build up with shit if you mow when its wet, but if you wash them while the build up is still fresh, no problem.

My all time favorite is still the GT54.

Comment

• J-Mech
      J-Mech commented
      Editing a comment
      Just as a note, that is correct. The 38" triangle deck was offered well into the CCC line up. You could get it still in the 10/11 series. (1050, 1710,1811, ect)
      I also agree that although it wasn't on Don't list, the GT decks were the better of any.

That's a hard one to answer Don... There are pros and cons to all of them.. Dad bought a new 38 triangle deck for his 100 in the early 70's.. we still have it.. I have used that deck under at least 5 different tractors.. It cuts beautiful. The triangle decks also seem less easy to warp or bend if you happen to hit something.. they don't seem to purge damp grass as well as the newer rounded decks.. I have the most hours on a 44a that we added the C style wheels to many years ago.. the metal is heavier on the IH built 44/50's than the CCC built decks.. found that out by picking them up and noticing a huge difference in weight.. the later CCC decks have the better spindles with the replaceable tapered bearings.. The C style wheels on the front really help out with the scalping and unlevel cutting.. I also have a 50C on a 982 that cuts really nice but the extra 6 inches of cut is only really an advantage on more level ground.. it doesn't float and conform to the ground as well as the 44's. The best grass purging and throwing deck I have is a 374 Haban under a 1782.. it has kind of spoiled me. but you didn't ask about that so that may be a bit off subject..

My favorite deck for all around purposes would probably be a hybrid... IH built 44 shell with the 44C style wheels added, the newer CCC bearing housings and spindles with tapered replaceable bearings, and if you can find one the step up drive pulley.. smaller than the std 44 pulley so it overdrives the blades slightly..

I have heard alot of good things about the newer GT style decks.. I know some people that swear by the GT 54, but I have yet to find one down this way to try out.. nor do I know exactly what it takes to put one under an older IH tractor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.. they are all pretty good decks in my opinion!

Comment

Had a 44c and a 50c on a 782. Don’t think a 129 would pull a 50.
      I liked the 44 better. Should note the 782 was a repower with a CH 20 so I can’t say how they would do with
      10 less hp.
      Like you said the blade choices are better for the c.

​​​​​​​
      I agree with Jay that a Haban will spoil you.
      The 48in shaft drive deck on my 3225 mows excellent. 22hp on a 48in deck can mow grass in a hurry.

Comment

• J-Mech
        J-Mech commented
        Editing a comment
        I have run a 50C on my 1050, and it's a weak 10hp motor. The 129 will run a 50". You just can't mow full speed. It will do fine being a hydro.

I have a 50c under a 1200, have had it under a 1250 and it pulls it fine. Same 12hp engine.
      wasn't thinking haban because I didn't think it could be made to work under a 129, which is what I am currently working on.
      I have 2 triangle decks, one of which has lots of new parts on top from a PO, ran that one on the 1200 and it's the loudest mower deck that I have ever run, got a bad spindle on it among the bunch.
      I have I think 2, 44s and a shell of a 50, with I believe enough parts to build it up.
      I have another 44 from (I think) a 1720 that is a very solid shell(no rust) but is twisted, need to figure that how to straighten it out. I have converted another (I forget the deck model number) just like the one from the 1720 that I cut off the extra parts and put together like a 44c. I have my eye on a 48 triangle that is complete but apart, freshly bead blasted and ready for paint and been on CL for over a year and just now finally getting into a price range that makes it interesting. May build up one as a backup/ spare and then may start thinking the herd come spring.
      Don
      Kankakee IL

Comment

Originally posted by jaynjeep View Post
        That's a hard one to answer Don... There are pros and cons to all of them.. Dad bought a new 38 triangle deck for his 100 in the early 70's.. we still have it.. I have used that deck under at least 5 different tractors.. It cuts beautiful. The triangle decks also seem less easy to warp or bend if you happen to hit something.. they don't seem to purge damp grass as well as the newer rounded decks.. I have the most hours on a 44a that we added the C style wheels to many years ago.. the metal is heavier on the IH built 44/50's than the CCC built decks.. found that out by picking them up and noticing a huge difference in weight.. the later CCC decks have the better spindles with the replaceable tapered bearings.. The C style wheels on the front really help out with the scalping and unlevel cutting.. I also have a 50C on a 982 that cuts really nice but the extra 6 inches of cut is only really an advantage on more level ground.. it doesn't float and conform to the ground as well as the 44's. The best grass purging and throwing deck I have is a 374 Haban under a 1782.. it has kind of spoiled me. but you didn't ask about that so that may be a bit off subject..

My favorite deck for all around purposes would probably be a hybrid... IH built 44 shell with the 44C style wheels added, the newer CCC bearing housings and spindles with tapered replaceable bearings, and if you can find one the step up drive pulley.. smaller than the std 44 pulley so it overdrives the blades slightly..

I have heard alot of good things about the newer GT style decks.. I know some people that swear by the GT 54, but I have yet to find one down this way to try out.. nor do I know exactly what it takes to put one under an older IH tractor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.. they are all pretty good decks in my opinion!
        Couldn't have said it better, or agree more with everything you wrote/typed Jay.
        As I said once before, over there, I can cut all year with the 44 or 50, A or C decks, and get no more than a coffee can of shit out at the end of the year. Cutting on high ground to damp/wet grass around the pond...
        And not that the Haban would ever work on that tractor Don, but it's also my favorite.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

No, you can't put a Haban under anything but a SGT. Won't fit.

I don't know. I've ran all the decks, and I still think the GT deck is the better. I think you could put one under a 129, but likely have to change the front axle.

As far as the others, just depends on what you want. I like the C decks the best, but you really can't beat the cut of the old triangle decks. They did a really nice job. I just prefer the later decks as the blades are all the same size, they have (or can be added) wheels on all four corners, and the spindle bearings can be changed to the cup/cone style. That's probably what I would go with.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
            No, you can't put a Haban under anything but a SGT. Won't fit.

I don't know. I've ran all the decks, and I still think the GT deck is the better. I think you could put one under a 129, but likely have to change the front axle.

As far as the others, just depends on what you want. I like the C decks the best, but you really can't beat the cut of the old triangle decks. They did a really nice job. I just prefer the later decks as the blades are all the same size, they have (or can be added) wheels on all four corners, and the spindle bearings can be changed to the cup/cone style. That's probably what I would go with.
            I remember you and I had this discussion over there about this. I've had nothing but plugging issues with the GT decks. Being deeper, and henss, high vacuum, this "grass" around here sticks to the underside. I would get, and not exaggerating, close to a five gallon bucket of shit every time I cut.
            Much of our "grass" is alfalfa, clover with grass mixed in. Living surrounded by fields, we get a little windblown seed from all around. So, what works best for one, sure don't for the other.
            That's why this place (ECC) is so beneficial, to all walks of life. So we can feed off each others experiences...
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Well, I will say, I've just used the GT decks, I don't own one. I run all C series at current. But along the same discussion, I don't have the luck you do with not needing cleaned. In the spring, I have to take the deck off almost every mowing and it's caked with grass. We too have a lot of clover in the yard, and that wet crap just sticks. That's probably my biggest complaint about the deck is how bad it builds up. BUT.... I will say I think it matters the condition of the underside of the deck. All mine are old and "well used". I am hoping to build up a newer 50C for this next year and start out with the underside painted up. Mine are so old and rough that I think it makes the grass stick worse. I am willing to bet a deck is like any other piece of equipment. The smoother it is, the less issues you have. Just like dirt sticks to a rusty plow moldboard, and snow sticks to a rusty blade, and a rusty snowblower won't throw snow..... grass sticks to a rough sided deck.
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• sir_lancealot
                sir_lancealot commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a NOS 50” deck I’ll sell you.

• J-Mech
                J-Mech commented
                Editing a comment
                You be quiet.....

• dodge trucker
                dodge trucker commented
                Editing a comment
                Naaah, I have enough remnants here to put a few good decks together along with a wife complaining about what all I do have (and that's w/o even her knowing what all I really do have-- if she only knew, I'd hear even more about it) I have to go thru that which I do have, and basically I started this thread as another way of saying "where do I start"? in going thru what I have...… I had a fairly decent (not what I would have called "great") 50" deck shell once, Jon has it now.

I have a 50C and a 44C converted to A’s with speed up pulleys on them. I run them on the 1250. I think the 50 mows better but it’s down for some sheet metal repairs. I clean the deck after every mowing. It never really dries out here in the Cuyahoga valley. I pull a 5 gallon bucket of crap out every time.

Comment

well since I stumbled across a really nice 42" triangle I'm gonna try that one out. I also have a 38" triangle pin on, and all the makings of a really nice solid, not rusty or beat up, 44 here too.. the shell is an A deck, but I have enough spindles to go rebuildable, or water pump style. .. have thinned out a bit this spring, punted the worst of what I had around.
                Don
                Kankakee IL

Comment

I have to say I like the C decks the best. Mainly due to the high clover dust content of my yard. The GT decks plug too quickly and covers me with clippings and makes too much dust in the thinner areas. Yesterday I finally put a C deck on the 1864.

I had to use the longer lift links from the GT hanger. Used a B89 belt (same as the GT deck). I still need to adjust the front to back level, but it did a pretty good job as it was last night.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                  X