Puny 38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puny 38

I just picked up a 38" triangle deck with cast iron ends last weekend, not a QA design, looks like a pin on. I have a 421 triangle deck that I just put on to my 129, the 48 that it came with and a competing brand tractor that is also a 48" cut, are too big and unwieldy for my yard. I usually push mow,and it barely takes an hour.

I basically got the 38 because a) it was so cheap and b) my son has a 73 that I didn't think had a deck on it but it does/ looks like the same as this newest buy is.

It's in great shape except for the baffles, which I can fix easily.

If I don't try it on my 129 it might be trade bait.
    Don
    Kankakee IL

Got any pictures Don? Sounds like a good score!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I want a 38” triangle deck to add to my collection 😊
      Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

that could be a possibility, I gotta check out the one on the kid's tractor and see what shape it's in, if that one's workable, then at that point I'd let this 38 go.... maybe a relay via your brother, sort of thing
        Don
        Kankakee IL

Comment

Mowed with the 42 triangle today, 1st time with THIS tractor paired with THIS deck, did some of my neighbors back yard, house is foreclosed on, so grass is a bit tall. Went right thru it, nice cut. I gotta figure out why the deck is hanging nose down so much. Adjusters on front hangers is all taken up. Just now getting the bugs out of this machine.
          Don
          Kankakee IL

Comment

• sir_lancealot
            sir_lancealot commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have the correct sub frame for that deck? That could be why it’s not sitting correctly.

I didn't get one with this deck, I have one here marked with a sharpie, "wide frame/ triangle deck" which is what I used. I think that it's the subframe that came with the tractor when I got it, when it had the noisey 48" triangle deck on it which hung fine. I ran that same 48" deck on a 1250 (how I found out that it's so loud) with this deck hanger. Would the 42 take a different hanger than a 48?
          Don
          Kankakee IL

Comment

Originally posted by dodge trucker View Post
            Would the 42 take a different hanger than a 48?
            Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. I have a picture on the PC at home with the different subframes, but pretty sure the 48" too it's own subframe.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. I have a picture on the PC at home with the different subframes, but pretty sure the 48" too it's own subframe.
              Yep, went through this when I sold my 149 to that guy over on OCC. Can't remember his name, but if I remember correctly, they were different.
              They can't all be turn key.
              Make the best of each and every day.
              Todd
              Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post

Yep, went through this when I sold my 149 to that guy over on OCC. Can't remember his name, but if I remember correctly, they were different.

Yes..... I remember now! I thought it was here I solved it, but it was over there. I found the picture, but it was one I pulled from the internet. Yes, the 42 and 48 have different subframes. Thanks for jogging my memory Todd!!
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Are you sure? Is that just a wide frame thing? All my triangle decks have the same sub frame.
                  Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by sir_lancealot View Post
                    Are you sure? Is that just a wide frame thing? All my triangle decks have the same sub frame.
                    I *think* it was a wide frame thing. I'll have to check.....
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I measured it out, at outer blade (a short one). The front is 3/4" lower than the back. And that's with 1/2" taller than stock tires on the front. This thing has 16.5/6.50-8 on front instead of 16/6.50-8 like usual
                      With the stock spec tires it would be an inch difference front to back. If I could reach in far enough to measure at the center blade with it pointing front to back, I'm sure it would be a greater difference, because of the longer blade, measurement points being farther away from each other than measuring at the ends of the short blades.
                      Don
                      Kankakee IL

Comment

Well I have had this puny 38 listed here in the classified section haven't heard a peep yet. Come and get it guys
                        Don
                        Kankakee IL

Comment

Working...
                        X