Brinly plow point- other sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brinly plow point- other sources?

I'd like to change the point on my Brinly plow, but they show it listed at $68 before tax or shipping. Sears parts direct was even more (Craftsman rebranded the plow). I've tried locating a cross with John Deere and no luck. Any of you guys have any other sources or outlets? Seems kind of steep for what it is. Thanks.
    Brian - Spring Grove, IL
    IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
    CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
    Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
    Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

The "point" on a plow is called a "share".

What is wrong with yours that it needs replaced? Unless you hit a rock and break the point off, they seldom wear out on these little plows. They can be sharpened, and a new point welded on.

As far as I know, there are no replacement shares available other than OEM. But just about everyone made a 12" plow. Could probably find a replacement that will work.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

It is pretty worn down. I got the plow used sight unseen from a friend of mine. I was just wondering if anyone had a more affordable parts source. I'll try to get a pic up later.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL

Comment

Yeah, post some pictures. You might be able to save it. Dale Merkel has welded new points on them for people. I'm sure he would do it for you. But, let's have a look at it first.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Ok i got a new phone and trying to attach pics-

Actually looking at it now it doesn't look as bad as i remembered it. Thoughts?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Brian - Spring Grove, IL

Comment

It's fine Brian.

Does the moldboard have paint on it? Cutter too?
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yeah thats how i got it. I just wasn't able to get it to suck down and roll the dirt over. I was in sod, running 2nd gear on the 1050 or comparably on the 782. I only had a pin in the (sleeve) hitch so it could track as it wanted, but seemed like it nosed in more like a chisel plow point. I tried cranking it either direction & didn't seem to make a difference.
              This fall will be rolling over the existing garden so it should be easier pulling. I'd like to get some chopped up leaves & grass clippings in there & plowed under to get some more organic material in the soil. Then hit it with the tiller in spring as the weather permits.
              Brian - Spring Grove, IL

Comment

Take a flap disc on a grinder and take the paint off the moldboard and shine it up. That will help more than you know.

Sometimes sod is a real bear to get it to roll over. Sod plows best in the spring. Ground may have just been too hard also. Sounds like you had a combination of things working against you.

I had to use weight on my plow until I got it shined up. Once I got it all scoured, it sucks itself right in. Ground was really hard too, and that didn't help. After a couple seasons of plowing, snd a nice scoured plow..... yeah. Plows nice now.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                X