Tiller gearbox/ aluminum diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiller gearbox/ aluminum diff?

So, saw this listed on Craigslist, with a 1711 and 1811. This looks like an aluminum rear diff to me. How is this tiller gearbox attached? 17111811gearbox.jpg
    Attached Files
    Brian - Spring Grove, IL
    IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
    CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
    Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
    Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Well, there would be at least 2 bolts that line up without drilling. Maybe 3. You can drill 2 more, but there are 2 that land on a bracket support.
    Judging by the rachet strap, I'm guessing it's barely bolted on.....
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I just wondered how it was attached. When I had my tiller on my 782, it was pretty violent on hard ground. I just can't see an aluminum diff holding up to the beating. I just wondered if there was an adapter of some sort that CCC offered on the alum diff tractors that attached to the frame to reduce the stress on the diff.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Yes. Kind of.....
        All the tractors made with the aluminum were no longer offered with the "IH 3pt hitch" better known as a sleeve hitch. They were offered with the Cat 0 3pt. The 2B tiller was the only one that was made to be used with the Cat 0. Yes, there was an adapter. It was made to attach the tiller gearbox to the back plate of the 3pt assembly. It was great really, as it made the tiller a "quick mount".

I..... am cheap and resourceful. I put sleeve hitches on my Al rear end tractors and made my own rear plate and adapter. My tiller is also a quick mount, and can be installed in just minutes. I've though a lot about offering them for sale. Even started to make some up a while back, but I just can't seem to settle into a "shop" of my own. For one reason or another, I get a place to work, but it doesn't work out. I recently rented a garage in town and moved a lot of my stuff to there to store, hoping to set up a shop in my garage at home. I've avoided this because my garage basically needs torn down. Not much of a structure really.... but enough about my problems, lol.

So, here's some pics of what I did to circumvent the expensive 3pt option.
        If I were to produce them, I would do some things differently. After building one thing, you always think of a better way it could be done, lol.

IMG_20130414_225111.jpgIMG_20130414_225200.jpgIMG_20130414_225213.jpgIMG_20130414_225253.jpg

~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Working...
        X