Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cub Cadet Trimmers and attachments: Any reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cub Cadet Trimmers and attachments: Any reviews?

So with the boys mowing yards, I am in the market for a trimmer "multi tool". A trimmer with a big engine, and switchable attachments. All the name brand boys make them now. When it comes to tools and equipment, I like to own the best. That said, I have bought some used "cheap" tools before with really good luck. Example: I owned and ran FOR YEARS a Weed Eater brand trimmer that we got at a garage sale for $1 because the starter rope was broke. It was nearly new when I got it. As I recall, I just bought another better trimmer (bigger and straight shaft) and quit using it. It's on the list to get running again for the boys as it's small and gutless.... great to teach kids to use a trimmer with. I also have a Weed Eater brand hedge trimmer. Also bought used and have had good luck with. A Poulan Wal-Mart chain saw... so I know the durability of the cheap stuff when properly cared for. I also own Stihl, Homelite (the OLD Homelite), McCulloch, Echo and Shindaiwa. All "big names" in power tools.

​​​So, back to my question.... I'm more than willing to buy used equipment, especially if I get a Stihl, Echo or Shindaiwa tool. But I see for about half the price (of the big name boys, Stihl, Echo and Shindaiwa) Cub Cadet sells a multi attachment power trimmer. It appears to be the same (and have interchangeable attachments with) any of the tools advertising as "trimmer plus" attachments. So, Cub Cadet, Craftsman, Ryobi and maybe others. They also offer in both 2 and 4 stroke. All the brands seem to run their powerhouse in about the same CC engine size, between 25cc and 30cc. Except Stihl, who offers a 36cc. Now, I have an old Shindaiwa brush cutter with ether a 30cc, or 35cc engine and I've never ran anything with more power, and I like power!!

So... anyone own a Cub Cadet "trimmer plus" trimmer? How about any of the other brands of these multi tools? How about the 2 vs 4 stroke in terms of power? I've ran a 4 stroke trimmer, but wasn't overly impressed. May have been the brand, and it was 15 years ago. Give me some feedback....
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Oh, so just so you guys don't have to go looking.... a Stihl, Echo or Shindaiwa power head runs right about $300 for the engine only. I can pick up a Cub Cadet with a string trimmer and brush cutter attachments with the engine at TSC (maybe Cub Cadet directly) for $180. So, engine with two tools for half just a motor with the other guys. Cub Cadet lists this tool with a "125 hour rating"..... not all that impressive.

I'm going to keep shopping, but give me some feedback guys.

​​​​
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I bought the Stihl kombi system a couple years ago when we bought our bigger property. I bought the 94r powerhead, which I believe is their largest 2 cycle. I have the trimmer, brush cutter, pole saw, edger, and picked up the adjustable hedge trimmer this spring. Been happy with it but it is expensive, at times I wish it had more power though. I replaced a 15yr old Homelite trimmer that my brother uses now.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

We got the Echo. It's a 2 stroke, came with the line trimmer. Added, the head with a saw blade for brush, then came the pole pruner, mini chainsaw. Then came the sweeper. That thing got a lot of use for getting the gravel stones off the lawn after plowing season. Ain't used so much after we blacktopped the driveway, but it works great.
        In the last year, Nancy picked up the edger, and "leaf" blower. It's a good unit, not the cheapest, but we wanted something with quality that was going to last a while.,
        The biggest selling point for us, was something Nancy could start easily, and that it does. NO regrets on this unit.
        If you want pictures of anything on it Jon, ask, and I'll get them.
        Before this Echo, we had just plain string trimmers. Your run of the mill makes, and would get at best a couple years out of them, cause something would wore out. Lot of plastic in em'.
        I can attest, watching her use it, the unit works great, and I "think" we're on it's 6th or 7th year. Starts every time, three pulls or less.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Here's a question I have to both you.... do the Stihl and Echo have a clutch drive, or does the tool run all the time?

So, I got to try out a Craftsman version of this last night. They had two of them at the farm they hadn't used in a while, so I borrowed it to try out. (Same as the Cub Cadet version.) This one was a 4 stroke, and didn't have a clutch. Not a big fan of either. When I trim, I only run the engine fast enough to cut what I'm in. Not one of those guys who runs them WOT all the time. At idle, while it was spinning it would kill the motor. If I revved it up so it wouldn't die, it was running faster than I wanted. I definitely want a clutched version. On a pole saw, I want the saw to stop unless I'm on the throttle. I might get used to the 4 stoke, but I prefer a 2 stroke.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Just a quick update on the info I just gave. Steve asked how I liked the trimmer and I told him I didn't care for it. Mostly due to it not having a clutch. Well, come to find out, the shaft had come loose at the engine for some reason. He took it apart to fix it, and either damaged the clutch spring, or it was already damaged. He bent it and put it back in. It does have a clutch, it's just too tight so it won't shut off. I'm going to take it apart and fix it and give it another try.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yeah, the Echo has a clutch. Nothing moves on the "head" once it's warmed up, and idling.
              They can't all be turn key.
              Make the best of each and every day.
              Todd
              Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

You’re going to be mad for me posting this.. but I just picked this up off my neighbors curb. Has some issue with the clutch and isn’t getting fuel. But I’ll chime in with my feedback once it’s going.
                Tanner
                Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Stihl is the same. Nothing spins while it's idling.
                  Seems like there are Stihl dealers everywhere here, and I needed a lot of tools for this larger yard. I do recall looking into Cadet trimmers at the time but I don't recall if they had as many attachments available. I really needed a pole saw, and a brush cutter, as well as the trimmer head.
                  I would have looked into Echo but I'm not familiar with any of the dealers around here.
                  Brian - Spring Grove, IL
                  IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
                  CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
                  Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
                  Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Working...
                  X