Broken spring lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken spring lever

Hello everybody. I have a self propelled Cub Cadet 12a-18m7010 (CC550SP) The spring lever, height adjustment, is broken. I thought it was going to be an easy enough fix, but I can't get the drive gear off to get to it. It has a single T25 torx screw in it, but I can't see any way to hold it while I loosen it. Has anyone else had this experience? I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Well, if I am understanding correctly, you are attempting to take off the drive gear pinion that drives the wheels. I am assuming so that you can remove the dust cover and get to the spring lever? Is this correct?

See the picture below and tell me if we are talking about the same part. I circled the drive gear and torx bolt in red.

push mower.png

If we are indeed talking the same parts, then you need to hold the shaft (number 71 in the diagram) with something like channel locks or vice grips to keep it from turning. If you cannot see said shaft, you need to remove the plastic cover that hides it. Number 67 in picture. Push mowers are a PITA to work on!!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for responding J-Mech. Yes, drive gear, but on opposite side of machine from your circle. Spring lever is part number 49 in this diagram. The drive shaft has a sleeve on it, doesn't appear to be a split sleeve to remove. I didn't want to ruin something by using vice grips, but if it's necessary.... I've got some. Ha! And I agree, push mowers are definitely more difficult. Sorry for the dual post. I wasn't sure the introductory page was the right spot. I'll post my results when done. Thanks again!

Comment

Well, I got the shaft held with vice grips. Then succeeded in rounding out the torx head. I guess my next step is to grind off the head of the bolt, remove the gear and then use a pipe wrench to remove the bolt. I still haven't found a tutorial on removing the spring lever. I still think I must be missing a trick somewhere. I'll chalk it up to experience and post more results later....

Comment

That sucks.... I wish I could be more help. I have a newer Cub Cadet push mower, bit I haven't had to ever work on one like yours. Doesn't look too difficult from the parts pick. Post a picture of what you are seeing and maybe I can help more. I have pretty vast mechanical experience, lol.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Here are some pictures I took today. You can see the broken height adjust lever in the picture as well as the stripped out drive gear. This is on the left rear. (The side not shown in the diagram. Ha.)Thanks for trying to help.

Comment

Rauf Any luck getting the gear off?

~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yes. I cut the head off of the bolt. The gear came off, but apparently the bearing behind it is attached to another bearing on the other side of the frame. Hard to explain. I had to walk away from it. It's a project mower. I don't have much invested in it. (Which is a good thing) I have a riding mower that I can use. I have bad knees but I like to get exercise when I can, so I thought a walk behind would help do that. I will figure it out though! There's always tomorrow....

Comment

Originally posted by Rauf View Post
                  The gear came off, but apparently the bearing behind it is attached to another bearing on the other side of the frame.
                  In the parts pic, it appears the bearing is held on with a snap ring....
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yes, I found the clip, drove the bearing out and got the broken part off a couple days ago. Next order of business is to attempt to remove the bolt from the shaft. I looked up the replacement trying to find out if it was possibly a left hand thread, cause it's really stuck. It says it's a 1/4x20. Looks like it comes with blue lock tight on the threads. I'll try an easy-out first. We shall see....
                    Thanks for your help. I'll be updating when I get back to it. Old riding mower got the job done yesterday before the storm came. It's spring time and I've got too many irons in the fire. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                    X