Cub Cadet 268 Snowblower: Back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cub Cadet 268 Snowblower: Back to life

A little over a year ago I met up with Olds and picked up a model 268 snowblower from him. This last spring, I got it out and starting going through it. It had been used pretty hard, but I don't think very much. Looks like it had had a lot of pea gravel ran through it. My goal was complete restoration..... that has since changed to "good working order". I still would like to "restore" it, but I ran into a lot of issues with the decals, and I had always planned to use it. Now.... I need to use it.

Here's a shot of it when I got it out for the first time.

1.jpg

I quickly found out that the cutting edge was pretty shot, and the impeller was very bent up. Also, the blower housing was cracked at the mounts. It needed welded up. Like I said.... looked like it had ate a lot of gravel, and I'm going to say ice chunks.

035.jpg9.jpg4.jpg5.jpg image_322.jpg

I went to a local welding shop that is owned by a family I've known for a very long time. This is the second welding shop that they have started. Built one from the ground up, and sold it off. Worked for the new company for several years, then quit and now the son of that guy is starting a new one. Dad is right there helping out. Anyway..... they have a water jet. Had him cut out a new cutting edge and a new weld in piece for the lower half of the housing. Check out the slotted and square cut holes!! All done on the water jet!

027.jpg024-2.jpg023.jpg

I moved on to welding up the housing, and straightening the impeller. Got the impeller straightened.... then ran out of argon/co2, and that's where I stopped on it for the spring. I put it away in the shed, but after I get done getting the 1811 ready for snow (see this thread) then the 268 is coming back out to get finished, and ready.

image_317.jpg

List of what needs done:
    Fix or swap out flat tire(s)
    New belts
    Get engine running. (I think the points are bad.)
    Needs a fuel tank
    Finish welding the housing/ get new edge on
    Any other service work it needs

So.... another project yet to finish by me! I've got a million of them!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Trying to decide between switching to lug tires, or adding chains for the tires..... or both. Any opinions?
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
      Trying to decide between switching to lug tires, or adding chains for the tires..... or both. Any opinions?
      Never followed one around, so no help on what would be better. BUT, I would think like anything else, wouldn't chains bring you better traction? Or, being what it is, I suppose you could manually maneuver it if things got to where you needed...
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

what size are the tires on that?
        Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
        Indiana, PA
        Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Ummmm.... I don't remember now. I had a pic of the size, but seems I didn't save it. I'll have to look next time I'm at the storage garage.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Add little wheel weights, fill the tires, and chains! I have a well worn walk behind. It’s a “Cub” I think 522E model I got from my pap. I always thought chains would make it work better but never went any further.
            Rich

Comment

I have these tires on my shopping list to order when I'm ready for mine. The Cub Cadet 268 snow blower tire size is 13x5.00-6.
              Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by sir_lancealot View Post
                I have these tires on my shopping list to order when I'm ready for mine. The Cub Cadet 268 snow blower tire size is 13x5.00-6.
                Oooooooo! I like those!
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Tirechain.com has chains made to go between the lugs of those tires.
                  Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
                  Indiana, PA
                  Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

I have a White walk behind. It had like new tires on it but I threw chains on it anyway. Why you ask? Because they were $16 shipped from amazon. At that price, can you afford not to?? I didnt notice any performance gains but then again we haven't had enough snow to make a fair assessment. Hell I havent even got it out the last 2 winters.
                    Jeff
                    62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

Comment

I think I'll go with the tires Lance suggested and chains. Like Rumblefish said.... I mean, why not?
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

While cleaning out my fathers shed, I came across an International Cadet 268 snowblower similar to the model you are trying to bring back to life. IMG_1576.jpgIMG_1574.jpg

Comment

That's cool! Looks to be in good shape. Did you see if it runs? Appears to be the earlier version.
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I'm laid up after a hip replacement but will clean it up and give it a start soon. I was told that it was running when it was put away over 15 years ago. It was too big for my grandmother and was moved into storage. A few layers of dust but otherwise it looks great. I will keep you informed.

Comment

Update on the Cadet 268 snowblower.... It runs great!
                              Only needed to do a little clean up to get a good spark and it started. We received 6-7 inches of snow today. I used it to clear my 60 foot driveway without a hiccup.
                              This machine is much bigger than what I need. It's also heavy. I can see why my grandmother didn't want to use it.
                              I may be selling it soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X