Cotton Gin at Georgia show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton Gin at Georgia show

Went to our only show near me on Saturday and it was the same old same old but on the way out I noticed this building off to the side so I walked over to it. Wow, this thing was really cool. I watched this engineering marvel for probably 30 minutes. That alone was worth the trip there. Enjoy the pics.
    IMG_8176.jpgIMG_8177.jpgIMG_8178.jpgIMG_8179.jpgIMG_8180.jpgIMG_8181.jpgIMG_8182.jpgIMG_8183.jpg

IMG_8184.jpgIMG_8185.jpgIMG_8186.jpgIMG_8187.jpgIMG_8188.jpgIMG_8189.jpgIMG_8190.jpgIMG_8192.jpg

Comment

IMG_8193.jpgIMG_8203.jpgIMG_8204.jpg

Comment

That's really cool, Todd!

Being a "northern" guy I know nothing about cotton, but it's always interested me. Thanks for sharing!

~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Since cotton is more a southern thing, could you give an explanation of what it does? Cool to see it's powered by a Fairbanks Morse engine

Comment

Cool, thanks for sharing.
            Me either, like Jon, and Jeff, I'm WAY to far north to know what's going on there. Only thing I know about cotton, is shirts used to be made of it, and I clean my ears with Q-Tips. Think they are still have cotton on them.
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Hey, I'm a Yankee too but Google says,

A cotton gin – meaning "cotton engine" – is a machine that quickly and easily separates cotton fibers from their seeds, enabling much greater productivity than manual cotton separation.

Found a Youtube vid of that machine in operation.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVNipcG3EQ

Comment

That is a seriously nice display!!!! Never seen anything quite so well put together at an antique show. Thanks for sharing!! Its funny, we are about an hour west of cotton growing regions and no one here knows anything about it! Farmers tried it here, but gave it up for tobacco about 90-100 years ago--considering all the cigarette plants were in town, I would say that's why cotton went east.

Comment

Working...
                X