changed my 4' fluorescent light fixtures to LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed my 4' fluorescent light fixtures to LED

We're changing the light fixtures at work from fluorescent to LED on both the 4' and 8 fixtures. I asked my coworker how easy it was to change. He showed me the wiring diagram and it is extremely easy. https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...ies/hurray.gif

the selling point was long life and the LED's only use about 10% of the electric the fluorescents do.

I purchased ten 4' LED K6500 frosted bulbs off ebay for under $50 shipped ( including the governor https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...ilies/cuss.gif ). Note- there are two types, power to one end and power to both ends. I purchased power to both ends.

Directions were included for both the starter / transformer type ( older) and also for the newer electronic type.

1214191340-00.jpg
    This is the electronic type with a coil and capacitor. There was one on each end and they get removed.

1214191341-00.jpg
    These are the transformer, the bigger is the old fashion type and the white boxes are the newer circuit box type.

1214191346-00.jpg
    This is the far side ( opposite power cord). I cut off the coil and capacitor and clipped off the wires to the inside. This is the neutral wire to this end. ( these end caps are plastic so I did not wirenut the cut wire ends ). The power end also gets the coil and capacitor removed but the outside wires are cut and the power/lead goes to inside.

It doesn't matter which end is power / neutral but they must be wired opposite for the LED to work.

1214191355-00.jpg

SUCCESS https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...coolgleamA.gif

1214191357-00.jpg

Wiring instructions and tools used. Side cutters, wire strippers, small screwdriver, larger screw driver and both blue and orange wirenuts.

The larger screwdriver was put in the end cap and twisted while the small screw driver was used to pop ( loosen ) the end. various manufacturers will have different locating clips. Have fun https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...es/biggrin.gif

1214191358-00.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I recently replaced a 4 foot shop light with a LED shop light from Costco. Light seems brighter.
    I should convert many 4 foot drop ceiling fixtures, but I have many spare florescent lamps.

Comment

So, do you like the new lights better Jeff? Seems like a lot of work to convert. How long did it take to do?

I don't think there is any comparison to LED vs fluorescent. LED is much better. But I've not seen any flourescent lights converted.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
        So, do you like the new lights better Jeff? Seems like a lot of work to convert. How long did it take to do?

I don't think there is any comparison to LED vs fluorescent. LED is much better. But I've not seen any flourescent lights converted.
        The extra amount of light is outstanding. The first was the longest as electrical work isn't my specialty. They took about 15 minutes each to do.

The advantage of converting them is nothing to get rid of except the old transformers.

Comment

I've been converting a few along at work as the old fluorescent bulbs give trouble.. as Jeff said, super easy to do.. they are instant on, no flickering. Very bright.. I prefer the frosted tube as they aren't as harsh on the eyes....

My only complaint with them.. they are great right over a bench, the light is very direct.. BUT the light doesn't diffuse as well as my old HO fluorescent tubes did.. The LEDs are more directional.. It's not enough of a problem to keep me from using them though.. In a couple of places I added an additional fixture.. still saving money on current usage..

Comment

Working...
          X