Bought my wife a Christmas present....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my wife a Christmas present....

Well, I might get to use it some too, lol. I don't know why I wanted to share this, but I do. Maybe because this type of purchase is a once a decade thing for us.... I bought her a new vehicle. My wife and I both drive our vehicles until they're basically wore beyond fixing any longer, or just aren't worth repairing any more. The van my wife was driving she got 11 years ago, exactly. When I got the truck I have now, it replaced one with 500k miles that I had driven 14 years. So, vehicle purchases are a pretty big deal to us.

We decided we wanted to replace our 2001 Chrysler Town and Country (242,000 miles) with a Chevrolet Suburban at least a year ago. I've paid cash for the last several vehicles I've bought, and wanted to do the same this time. But... the van was becoming a headache. Not as reliable, minor problems, in need of some expensive repair if it was going to continue to be her main vehicle and it is getting pretty rotted out underneath. At years end and Christmas time, it's not the time of year I have a lot of cash. We found the Suburban on our local dealers lot. A 2012 with somewhat high miles (177k) but in fabulous shape. Fully loaded, Z71 package, tow package (towing was one of the things I wanted on our family vehicle), leather, dual screen DVD, ect, etc... way nicer than what I was expecting to buy. But they had it for a pretty low price. But when it broke down on the test drive, I shot them a low offer and they accepted it. Obviously my mistake because they didn't even counter offer. I should have went lower! Anyway.... I've got to do some work to it, but it's no big deal for me. Just time consuming.

Anyway.... here it is!
    I'm going to start working on it tomorrow so maybe my wife will get to drive it by Christmas, lol.

20191219_105039.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Looks sharp. May you have many years of reliable safe driving.

Comment

That's a clean looking ride, doubt if there is anything on it that can't be fixed if needed, enjoy.
      Vic
      Beulah, Michigan

Comment

Nice ride Jon. I'm the same way. We purchased my wife's car 13 years ago and the car she had at that time wasn't worth much so I still have that one too. Keep us posted on the repairs. I enjoy your wrenching skills. Oh, don't forget...

Comment

Congrats to Mrs. Jon on the new wheels.
          She'll have to get used to the bigger vehicle after running the mini van. Be ripping the mirrors off going in the garage.
          with the repairs. What you figure is wrong with it?
          They can't all be turn key.
          Make the best of each and every day.
          Todd
          Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
            J-Mech commented
            Editing a comment
            TBH Todd, I'm a tad worried about it getting "scuffed" due to it being so much larger. But I will go to bat for my wife here. She is an above average driver, and did drive a full size van for a while. Not many miles, but had it a couple years. She drives my truck now and again, and as of yet has never had an accident other than hitting a deer when she was 15! So, I think she'll do just fine. But I will also say, she damn near took the mirror off backing it out of the shop today........ :O I cringed as it missed the door by about 2"!!!

Thanks guys!

So today I got it in the shop to try and get it at least driveable. I guess I never said what broke on it, so I should probably start with that. Oh, and one more thing I just want to mention... I made it sound like I paid cash for it. I did not. I wanted to.... but not in December. Maybe in March or April, or June lol. But not now. So, we financed it. But they gave us a good deal on financing I thought. 60 mo and 6.99%. I hope to have it paid off in 18 months. That's the goal anyway!

So, back to the repairs. So, while we were driving it, (on the test drive) it suddenly started dropping oil pressure until it basically read zero. Which then sounded the "SHUT THE DAMN THING OFF" alarm that dings fast constantly. It does this so that when your wife is driving, she knows to call you while going down the road to ask what to do..... even though the dash display is flashing "SHUT DOWN ENGINE". Thankfully, I was driving and not my wife, so I didn't have to call anyone. https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==​ I just kept driving until we got to a good place to stop and get out and look it over. Even then, I of coarse left it running. https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==​ (I hope you guys are laughing, because this is my best attempt at mechanic humor.) So, the Chevy 5.3L engines (6.0L is basically the same engine, but you don't hear about this on them like you do the 5.3L) had issues with both the oil pressure sending unit, and also the oil screen located just below the sensor plugging off with carbon/debris. There is also a service bulletin on an o-ring on the oil pump sump tube. The o-ring will crack or break because some engineer made it out of the wrong material, and you have to spend 12 hours to go change it out. Also, the early sump screen was made of too fine of mesh wire and also caused plugging issues, effectively starving the engine of oil. Of coarse, you are stupid not to put in a new oil pump, sump and o-ring. And maybe while you are there, a timing chain, component kit and possibly even a VVT (Variable Valve Timing) camshaft actuator. Anyway.... there have also been reports of the cam actuator having an internal leak which lowers the pressure in the galley where the OP sensor is screwed in. All this sounds like a very bad deal, but *most* of the time it's just a plugged screen or bad sensor. Plus, since they know what the issue is, they've made parts that replace the problematic ones. And these problems don't show up for about 80-100K miles. Anywho.... so, I told the salesman it likely needed an oil pump. Then told him how long that would take to repair, and how much that would cost the sales department. I also encouraged him to fact check me by pulling the SB on the oil pump suck tube o-ring deal. Apparently either his boss was familiar, or he called the service manager because they accepted my offer within about 3 minutes. Personally, I think they knew it had this issue anyway, because they had it priced really low, even with the miles it had. But, they may have gotten duped by the people trading it also, as a fresh oil change usually slows the issue enough you can drive it some without problems... And it had just been serviced, I'm pretty sure by the owner because the miles were stated on the sticker, and it was like 100 miles ago.

So, I'm probably going to do the "major repair" on it at a later date, but for the time being, I figured why not change the sensor and screen (under the sensor) and see if that will get us on the road. So, today I pulled it out and changed both. The screen was pretty dirty. Also, for those not familiar with these engines, or this repair, a quick shot of where the OP sensor is, and how difficult it is to change. It's a real PITA to change. It calls for a lot of bad words, and laying on top of the engine bay... something this man is not so fond of anymore. Didn't bother me too much when I was 25, lol.

https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://www.everythingcubcadet.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

That sender is at the back of the engine, and way down behind the intake. Although you can clearly see it in the picture, getting your hands on it are another story. There's maybe 4" between the sender and the firewall, and the engine basically touches the bottom of the windshield. NOT easy to get to!

So, I got it changed out, and it does now register oil pressure. However, with the screen as dirty as it was, plus some other things, I'm not sure they serviced it as often as it should have been. Like I said, I will likely go into it at a later date, but it is OK for now. Probably be putting Sea Foam in the oil and see if we can break up some of that carbon and catch it in the filter to clean things up a bit. Only bad thing is, the 5.3/6.0 motors only filter bypass oil. Which is the whole reason for the screen under the pressure sender (I guess?). Anyway, I spent a whopping $65 on parts so far and we can at least drive it now. Over the next months, I'll be doing general maintenance and service work to it. I mean, it has 177K on it. I knew it would need some work! But at almost half book value, I'm not complaining!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

What do you think of the cam & lifters Jon? I've read they are a common failure, but I've never had an issue on any of mine, nor any of my family, but I don't know if any of us had that many miles on one. My Uncle had an '07 Burb but I think they took it to about 130-140k, and picked up a '15 earlier this year.
            I've done a few 5.7 Hemi cams at work. Not hard, but time consuming, and we have had a handful of engine failures shortly after replacement (fortunately I haven't). Chrysler released a case recently to pull the oil pan and inspect/clean out metal debris. I think guys are recommending long blocks now.
            Brian - Spring Grove, IL
            IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
            CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
            Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
            Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

• SS5150
              SS5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder, does GM use a dual stage oil pump? Chrysler has on the 3.6L since it came out, although when they act up they trip a dtc, and usually cars that get regular maintenance don't have issues. I had a friend that had to put an oil pump on an LS style 5.7 in his Camaro years ago but I don't know what the issue was.

• J-Mech
              J-Mech commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it's single stage, crankshaft driven. Bolts on the front end of the crank. This style of pump was very common on large diesel motors. International, Cat and several others have used this style. GM went to it when they did the big engine design switch. (5.3, 6.0, 8.0. I think the new small engines use it too, but not 100% on that.) It's a good system, but since it spins so fast, and has to handle the surge load of a crank, they do tend to wear out faster. Power for the coarse I suppose. No such thing as a "perfect" design. Although, Cummins came pretty close with the 5.9L. Chevy was close with the 350, as was Dodge with the 360, but both of them suffered from intake gasket issues.

• SS5150
              SS5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yah know, now that I think about it.....I had a Tahoe of that vintage with some miles on it with a low oil pressure complaint- it was one of my boss's neighbors- it had coolant mixing with & thinning the oil.....he ended up getting rid of it I think. Found it by accident really, it sat on my rack for a while, and when I went to do an oil change, I got coolant right out of the drain plug for a split second. Overflow & radiator level were both down. Does yours have normal PSI when its at operating temp, or is it usually on the low side?

very nice, congrats. I've been a "Suburbanite" since 1990. I took my 2001 2500 4WD Suburban with a 6.0L up to 225K before we traded it in on a '04 1500 that just turned 100K. I'd probably still be driving the '01 if I didn't "punt" a Subaru out of the way ( yes, I won quite decisively )

I changed my oil every 5K with Mobil 1 ( buy it at walmart ) with an AC delco filter and a quart of Lucas oil treatment. Some may call it "snake oil" but the '01 NEVER needed any extra oil between changes.

try to use top tier gas to keep the pump and the fancy electronic devices clean. I did have an ABS module go on the '01. The factory part was well in excess of $1K to replace ( parts only--NO labor) and I found this seller on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/usr/modulerepai...p2047675.l2559 I had a replacement ( repaired) module literally within a couple days and my deposit back to me the next day after they got it back. It was less than $150 including return shipping. GREAT folks to deal with. I never had any issues and even my mechanic was impressed with them.

Jeff

Comment

• J-Mech
              J-Mech commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm late back to comment. Sorry it took me so long.

I just repaired an '01 Suburban for a guy. He had been told his ABS module was bad. It wasn't. Had rust under the ABS wheel speed sensors. Took them out, cleaned it up and it all went back to working. I've replaced ABS modules before though. NOT CHEAP, but I got paid to do it, lol.

Ever have any oil pressure issues with any of your 6.0's?

Nice truck!! I'm jealous. We're on the hunt for the right full size SUV as our third vehicle. A Suburban is at the top of the list with Tahoe in close second. Finding one that's fully loaded would be a dream come true.

[QUOTE=Jeff in Pa;n10562]...I did have an ABS module go on the '01. The factory part was well in excess of $1K to replace ( parts only--NO labor) and I .../QUOTE]

I always preferred the way the truck drove with the fuse pulled, myself. I recently went from a 250+k Silverado to a 100k Sierra. I pulled the fuse at a gas station before I even got home.

Comment

Nice ride, always liked the Burbs. Hope it does well for you.
              Rich

Comment

Figured it was going to be a toy of a different kind. More compact with softer edges. Still with motor and electronics. Nice rig tho! Jm a Ford guy, but can appreciate a good rig when I see 1. Always had a soft spot for the Z71s

Comment

• J-Mech
                  J-Mech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dude, you are something else! Hilarious!

I see a few of those come in at my work.... (IL state police) and the county I live in has switched almost exclusively to Tahoes for their fleet, as they phased out the Clown Vics. Hope it lasts you a long long time.

I know about hi mile vehicles.... As the Mopar guy in the group, I have a 01 Durango that just turned 260K miles. Have owned 6 years, got with 214K miles. It was freshly up from the south and has only seen winter driving in 2 Illinois winters since we have had it, this will be its 3rd.... VERY clean..... came out of Louisiana. I did swap out the engine (5.9/360 cu.in.) about 1500 miles ago, and went thru the trans myself, when I had it out...."just because" I don't know if it ever had been, before..... its a 46RE, everyone knows what is said about those...… I've been inside a few of them, over the years. I actually have pretty good "luck" with them, compared to many.... I haven't had to do much, to any of the ones I have had besides fluid/filter, band adjustments, and add on aux coolers.

I will have this Durango til it rots into the ground.... my wife loves the thing, so I am stuck.... I have enough miles on the replacement engine now, to pretty much know I didn't get a turd.... I did put all new gaskets, seals and freeze plugs in it and a new double roller chain on it while it was on the stand.... and a brand new (not "reman") set of heads on it, cuz I had them here from an abandoned project.... cheaper to make use of those, than sending in that engine's heads for a valve job and crack inspection, at the moment...… I had the heads off "anyways".... so why not...
                though it ain't worth anywhere near that any more, when new this was a $40k truck... I can't afford to replace it with something newer and compatible...…. so this one stays.
                Don
                Kankakee IL

Comment

I have a sending unit and screen on the counter at work, have a '13 Caprice squad car with a 6.0 coming in for it 1st thing Monday. have seen a check engine light and code for a faulty sending unit, on several of these.... starting to see them eating driver motor mounts lately...…. I've done a few sets of motor mounts on the Tahoes, since I have had this job, too..... definitely not as bad to change as Mitchell OnDemand makes it out to be. unless you don't have a lift to work under.
                  Don
                  Kankakee IL

Comment

Well, I got the Suburban all checked over, and fixed a bunch of minor thing. Lights not working, seat that wouldn't fold, jacked it up and checked it all out underneath. We didn't do bad at all. It's in pretty good shape. I do have a wheel bearing just starting to go though. Going to have to push it high on the list of "to do" on it. Still having oil pressure fluctuations though. Going to run some Sea Foam through it and see if it will break the bullshit loose that keeps plugging the screen. Probably still going to have to put in an oil pump, but I want to know that is the issue before tearing it down. I put an oil pump in one of these engines for my dad a few years ago and he's having issues similar to mine now. Just fluctuating op. So many different possible solutions, I want to make sure I don't replace things unnecessarily. Not that putting an oil pump in a motor with 177K is waste of time or money. But it does TAKE a lot of time, lol. I'll keep you guys updated.
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

No Jon, my '01 6.0 L always had great oil pressure. I got it with 54K ( lease return ) and I always changed the oil with Mobil 1, an AC delco oil filter and Lucas oil treatment.

Comment

Working...
                      X