Dump trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dump trailer

Been looking around for a dump trailer, and this one came up yesterday on Craigslist. So we took a ride this morning to check it out.
    Well, as you can see, it came home with us.
    It's not for road use, suppose short distances, and pretty slow, but I'm not in need of that. We've got some projects around here, one in particular, is cleaning up around the pond. Two sides we need to dig out, as the bank is slowly "growing" inward.
    Figure it won't be so hard on the lawn, hauling the waist out this way. And for gathering firewood, it'll work great for that.
    It's home made, has electric over hydraulic, with two cylinders for the lifting duty's. Few things I want to do with it. The black cover you see on the front, covers the battery, and hydraulics. So to charge the battery, you have to remove the cover every time. I'm figuring I'll either install battery lugs on the outside for charging. Or pick up a battery tender, and install under the cover, haven't decided yet...
    (Side note) the box goes nearly straight up, but didn't raise it that high in the pictures without it hooked to something)
    Saturday I picked up the "digging" machine, to go with the "hauling" trailer. Well, didn't "pick it up", it's being delivered this week sometime. There'll be more on that later. Nancy says the older I get, the worst I get. Suppose that can be taken many ways.
    dump1 (6).JPGdump1 (7).JPGdump1 (2).JPGdump1 (4).JPGdump1 (5).JPG
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

This looks like an awesome rig. Congrats on the purchase.
    Brice

Comment

Nice trailer Zip! Looks to be well engineered. Put a little white trim on it somewhere and a couple of IH decals, the world will never know!

Comment

Dang Todd! That's nice! Congratulations. So is the plan to pull it with the pickup? Or the Bota?

If you pull it with the pickup, you could add a charge wire to the trailer plug and the alternator will charge up the battery when the truck is running. Just make sure to install a circuit breaker on the trailer side of the wire, that is just smaller than the one on the feed wire. But I would also do what you talked about too with an inboard charger or lugs. I would do lugs. If you do an on board charger, don't use a maintainer or it will take forever to charge up. Just install a small battery charger, like 10a or 15a size. They're not expensive.

So.... about that "digger"....
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• zippy1
          zippy1 commented
          Editing a comment
          No truck. At least around here, as most use will be on softer ground. Likely the Bota, but the Rhino may work, as it does pull well. Used it pulling flat racks full of hay into the hay mow.
          "Digger?" Yeah, we picked up a mini excavator. We had the Cat 305 over at the company, but it was to new "(2014) to keep around for "just in case" we need one.
          Found this 2010 Terex for a decent price. Open station, and has a thumb, and two buckets. Not a Q/A, but pin on. Lower hours, nothing "fancy", but good enough.
          The guy is delivering it sometime this week, as soon as the weather breaks...

That looks really cool! Handy as pocket on a shirt

Comment

Looks pretty handy! Id love a dump trailer but dang theyre pricey for a road going unit. Any thoughts on a solar battery charger? Ive seen them used in this application as a maintainer but no experience with them myself.
          Jeff
          62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

Comment

• zippy1
            zippy1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't think the solar route will be very good here. It'll be spending most of it's days in a shed.

Nice dump trailer and a new to you mini ex? F-in sweet man. Congrats!
          Rich

Comment

Dang Todd, that thing looks well built. Don't forget, we're gonna need some action shots of the mini ex & trailer. Oh and don't forget to get a permit to move your dirt on your land + put up about 2 miles of silt fence.

Comment

• zippy1
              zippy1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that's about it. Pretty soon, in these parts, your going to need a permit to shovel shit.

Here's the area under the cover. Battery and pump. IMG_3773.JPGIMG_3772.JPG
            Todd

Comment

Got the mini today.
              Put up in the shop over at the company till spring. Keeping the 1086 and JD company.
              IMG_3784.JPGIMG_3780.JPGIMG_3782.JPGIMG_3783.JPG
              Todd

Comment

Looks good Zippy, should be able to find lots of stuff to do with it after the pond is done.
                Rich

Comment

Nice Todd!
                  Two buckets huh. I figured you'd want more like a 36" for dipping out the pond. Or, maybe you are afraid it would tip over?

Just kidding bud. Looks good! You going to teach Nancy how to operate it?

I also don't ever remember you talking about a 1086. You had an 856 I remember.
                  ~Jonathan
                  Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Yeah, the other bucket is, oh crap, can't remember. Darn it.
                    I don't know if she'll operate it or not. I've never operated one myself. Used to operate the old backhoe, but we never had an excavator while I was walking. (Before 85)
                    Yes, the 1086 Grandpa bought when it was two years old. I don't recall the year though. It's faded out real bad, as it always sat outside. This is the first time it went indoors. My uncle used it always, till he took ill last spring. So rather than leaving it outside, we put it in the shop over there. (at the company)
                    The 856 was a hand me down, and that I sold a couple years ago. Suppose the 1086 is now a "hand me down" as well. Now. There's SO much "stuff" over there Jon, you wouldn't believe. Nearly new implements sitting outside, with paint not even worn off...
                    We'll have to talk someday. Phone call.
                    Todd

Comment

• J-Mech
                      J-Mech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really need to take the time and give you a call. Long overdue. Every time I have time, either there are kids around being noisy, or Nancy is in bed, lol. Maybe this weekend? ........

• zippy1
                      zippy1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And she ain't in bed for any extra curricular activities, if you know what I mean?
                      Got stuff in the morning, but "should" be free in the afternoon.

Got the battery "lugs" installed. The design behind the cover, wasn't the smartest, or thought out real well.
                    So, not wanting to remove it every time to charge the battery, this should make life much better.
                    IMG_3800.JPGIMG_3802.JPG
                    Todd

Comment

Looks good Zip. I've been off the board lately with all the holiday stuff, so I'm late to the party. The mini looks to be in pretty good shape. Having a thumb on the boom will prove to be very handy. Nice find!

Comment

Working...
                      X