Fun afternoon: God, family and guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun afternoon: God, family and guns

Temps here went from single digits to mid forty's in just a couple days. Today the sun was shining and it felt so warm I just wanted to be outside. (Sunshine has been very minimal this winter.) Broke out the BB gun and a .22 and the kids and I shot for a couple hours this afternoon. We had a lot of fun! It was my daughter's first time shooting a rifle. Don't know why, but she couldn't hit even the paper with the BB gun, but did fine with the rifle! My son hadn't shot for a while but did just as good! I unloaded a couple magazines on my .22 handgun, and shot several through the rifle. I like long range, so at the end I set a target 75 yards out and fired 6 shots at it. Open sights. I think I need glasses. Only hit the paper once, I am ashamed to admit, lol. Oh well. Still a great day! Church this morning, hang out with my kids shooting guns in the afternoon.

20200216_145207.jpg20200216_145428.jpg20200216_161335.jpg20200216_163146.jpg20200216_163207.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Hey Jonathon,
    That looks like some good ol fun right there, I love plinking but don't do it often enough, my Dad didn't hunt or really ever shoot but somehow we had a 22 rifle in my teens and we all took part in peppering some targets once in a while, can't beat it.
    Vic
    Beulah, Michigan

Comment

My stepson and I had "the talk" about shotgun shells this weekend.

At 11, he wanted to tell me all about a 12 gauge. Most of his knowledge came from Call of Duty.

I had the entire coffee table covered with different shells. We even cut some open. He now understands all the different shot sizes, what they're for, how and why a 1oz load kicks less than a 1 1/8, all the shot sizes from 9 to 00, Rifled Slugs, Sabot Slugs, pumpkin balls, and those bad ass Winchester PDX shells loaded with slugs and buckshot.

We talked about barrel length, choke tubes, muzzle velocity, drop, and I actually had him interested in physics.

He's pretty good with a .22, and looking forward to taking a Hunters Safety class and getting his license when he turns 12 this summer. I'm looking to find him an 870 youth 20 ga, preferably a combo set for his birthday.

Comment

Looks like a good time Jon.
        What the heck, you all left handed? Looks that way in the pictures.
        I can't use open sights at all anymore. Been years. I put a 4-12x40 on my 22 years ago, no regrets. I can take the nuts out of a fly at 100 years with that set up.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
          J-Mech commented
          Editing a comment
          Missed this comment Todd. No, we're all right handed. I think it's just the angle of the picture, but I can see why you thought that.

I didn't realize my eyesight has gotten so poor until the last few months, but I'm getting about to that age. My parents both got glasses when they were about 40. Well... I'm there.

Outstanding.... Nothing like the smell of gunpowder in the morning!!
        Randy
        Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Working...
        X