Not sure where this belongs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where this belongs...

...but the farmer I'm sharecropping with just called me to surprise me with great news! He bought an garden tractor, and it's red!

I don't know the year, but it's a Farmall A. He tells me it's got no electric start, so I imagine it's a '39 or '40. It's supposed to be delivered pretty soon, and I can't wait to put her back to work!

If any of you happen to have tips, tricks, a manual, or pictures of your own A, I'd love to see 'em!!!

Cool! I don’t know anything about them, but I want one someday. Make sure you get some pictures of it.
    -Nick
    125, 126, 147, 129 x 3, 149, 1450, 1320
    3 42” Blades, 3 42” Triangle Decks, 2 44A Decks, 38” LT Deck, 42” Stone Rake, #4 Cart

Comment

20200426_145327.jpg Well this escalated quickly!! My girlfriend called me into the living room today and sheepishly said "I bought a tractor," thinking I'd be upset. Then she said "hook up your trailer."

Wouldn't you know it's ANOTHER Farmall A!! Way too big for the trailer, but she's home!! 20200426_145327.jpg

Comment

That A is all wet!
        Congratulations on your first "big" tractor!

If you have any questions just ask!

So... no fast hitch on it. What are you going to do with it?
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• Cheesedawg82
          Cheesedawg82 commented
          Editing a comment
          What am I gonna do with it? Good question!

Probably sell the sickle bar, find a plow and a set of cultivators for it, and put her to work on our sharecrop patch.

Either that or park it in the front yard and piss the neighbors off.

Definitely gonna put her in every parade I can.

I have questions, first and foremost, where can I download a manual?

Second, the governor leaks oil. PO gave me a new one. Ever changed one?

Third, can anyone point me toward period correct decals? It doesn't say Farmall anymore and I'm not ok with that. Serial number says it's a 1940.

Well..... you are certainly more ambitious than I am! I wouldn't want a tractor without a hydraulic lift.... ok... without 3ph for that kind of work. I'm not super enthused about the manual lift on my 1050, let alone lifting a plow or cultivator manually on a bigger tractor. But, some guys really like that stuff. Good luck in your search for implements!

I suggest getting a manual from Peaceful Creek. I have made them my first choice for paper manuals. They are excellent quality, and very good prices. Do not get a PDF manual for something like this. You want a paper one. Here is a link to their "A" manuals. Keep in mind, like most tractors you will need both a chassis AND an engine manual.

Lol... you may not know, but I grew up on an IH farm, and worked for Case IH. When I left CIH, I started my own shop, where we worked on everything from mowers to cars and trucks to farm and construction equipment. And, since IH was what I loved, I got a lot of IH equipment in to work on. I've changed out governors on tractors and other equipment, yes. But unless the old one is not repairable, I would just fix it. Unless by "new" you literally mean new (rebuilt). Then I suppose swapping it out will be alright.

You can get decals literally all over the place. All States Ag parts, Steiner, Jensales, Yesterday's Tractor Co... then also there are Maple Hunter decals and other companies too numerous to list. I would likely suggest Maple Hunter first, and All States second.

When looking for parts, check with All States Ag Parts first. I really like them. You can find them at tractorpartsasap.com.

Oh, and I moved this thread to the General Talk section.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

The new governor is definitely not new. "Came off an old parts tractor I had" was the descriptor. I was thinking I'd rebuild it and put it on so I can run it in the meantime.

I was definitely looking to Maple Hunter for the decals. Their garden tractor stuff is really good, I'd buy from them for that reason. Question is, McCormick Farmall or McCormick-Deering Farmall. From what I gather, there's a couple different decals and idk which one's the right one.

No PDF manual? I shouldn't even print one? I'll take your word for it if it saves me time and costly repairs.

I grew up working on a vegetable farm that had a hodgepodge of tractors
          Of the big machines, I think there were 5 Allis, 4 Massey Ferguson, and a clapped out IH 656 that eventually got traded off. The greenhouse division had 3 old tractors, a Farmall BN, M, and an old Ford 9n. I remember they painted flowers all over the 9n so us farm guys would stop stealing it!

As for the cultivators, we had 4. Most of my seat time was on either an Allis Chalmers G or a John Bean finger machine, cultivating broccoli and cauliflower for what seemed like weeks. For the sweet corn, we had a pair of 140's, which are pretty much my A after 30 years of evolution.

We got this A partially because there's a few A attachments lying around the farm I put a little patch on. I have very similar sentiments about the lack of hydraulics for sure, but I figure a little hard work wont hurt too much, and our patch isn't all that big, I can pull the lever up and down just fine for all 8 rows of corn.

Honestly, she said "go get this tractor" and I went without really thinking it through. If nothing else, I'm a small town politician and she'll look good in parades.

Comment

• SS5150
            SS5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure the earlier models were 'McCormick-Deering' and the newer 'McCormick', but I don't know what year or when the decal changed.

My Uncle had a Super A back in the day, lost it in a fire about 25 years ago.

20200427_144656.jpg

Comment

Back to the decals. S/N is FAA 24xxx, which translates to 1940. It has the mesh grille.

I understand that it needs the McCormick-Deering Farmall decals. Do I get the "Culti Vision" A or the plain A?

Comment

Looks nice, congrats!
              -Nick
              125, 126, 147, 129 x 3, 149, 1450, 1320
              3 42” Blades, 3 42” Triangle Decks, 2 44A Decks, 38” LT Deck, 42” Stone Rake, #4 Cart

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesedawg82 View Post
                Back to the decals. S/N is FAA 24xxx, which translates to 1940. It has the mesh grille.

I understand that it needs the McCormick-Deering Farmall decals. Do I get the "Culti Vision" A or the plain A?

I am not sure that it matters. I *think* the only difference between the decals was if the tractor came with a mounted cultivator or not. I am not just super familiar with the IH letter series like I am the larger tractors (number series and up). If you want to try it out, join up and ask on the Red Power Forum. I hang out there quite a bit when I am not here. There are some collectors of the older stuff there, and some older gents who can likely tell you for certain. I cannot be 100% sure without doing some research, and I my tank is running low on fuel for tonight, lol.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Well, I'd start here.
                  https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...130-c-9893.htm
                  They can't all be turn key.
                  Make the best of each and every day.
                  Todd
                  Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Just made a discovery after cleaning her up a bit. The S/N is not FAA, it is IAA. She's the wrong color! Guess that explains the rather odd grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesedawg82 View Post
                      Just made a discovery after cleaning her up a bit. The S/N is not FAA, it is IAA. She's the wrong color! Guess that explains the rather odd grille.
                      Odd Grille? The A and the AI had the same grille. But there are differences between an A and an AI. Something isn't right.... yours does not have a square front axle, or a brace. You sure you are seeing that right and not just a light stamp "F"? Not all AI's were painted yellow. A lot were red.
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Looked back and didn't realize i didn't post a grille pic.

The tag DEFINITELY reads I A A. the front axle is round, the sheet metal in front of the pedals doesn't have a cutout for a gas pedal, but the governor linkage has been booger patched together above the battery box.

There's a little tiny spot of yellow paint peeking out where the sickle bar mounted up.

Did the AI get the square axle the first year, or did it take a few years before they found a need for it?
                        20200427_144548.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X