Minimum HP for tiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum HP for tiller

I'd like to have a tiller i can use on my 1211 with the cat 0 hitch, i currently have a #2 tiller and was thinking of mounting an engine on it. I have a 5hp Briggs and I'm wondering if its enough to drive the tiller?
    Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Indiana, PA
    Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Tim, why aren't you just driving it with the front PTO as it was made?
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• olds45512
      olds45512 commented
      Editing a comment
      Because I don't want to dedicate a tractor to it and I don't want to go through the hassle of putting it on and taking it off. I would like to set it up for the three point so I can just hook to it and go. I also only have a tiller and no gear box but I have the engine just sitting here but wasn't sure if 5hp would be enough.

Honestly a 5hp motor is probably cheaper than a belt.

Comment

Tim, I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting a dedicated tractor for the tiller. Putting a #2 tiller on a 3pt tractor and running it off the front PTO is easy. The tiller and gearbox stay all together, and the whole thing as a unit quick mounts. You do have to remove all the 3pt arms, and put a mule drive on to drive the belt. Unless you are wanting to switch between a mower and the tiller, it's pretty easy. I set my tiller up that way. It doesn't take but only a couple minutes and it's ready to go.

Setting a #2 up with a drive motor on it is going to be a pretty big job. You have to make a 3pt attachment on front. Possibly a tail wheen on back. You will have to add another reduction drive because direct driving it with the engine will run the tiller far too fast. The Cub Cadet tiller (model 400) that had the engine on it had an 8hp engine on it. I really don't think 5 is big enough. If that is what you want you probably need to find a 400 tiller.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Working...
      X