Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's what NOT to do while mowing the lawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what NOT to do while mowing the lawn.

Huh, for the life of me, don't know how this got, where it was.
    I've mowed this chunk of lawn for 30 some years, and today, of all days, look what I picked up. Brought the 1872 to a dead stop, like right now.
    Didn't hurt anything, well, other than my pride.
    Must have been just enough sticking up, that it caught a blade, and pulled the wire out of the ground. Yeah, there was sod, and dirt flying every where...
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Good to hear it didn't wreck anything and that you could get off of the "stoppage"

Comment

I had something similar with a push mower, some years ago,
      was mowing around a barn where I store my stash, had mowed this same stretch many times before.... the owner INSISTED there was NO POWER to this barn... I found out different, using my trim mower to clean up around the barn... all of a sudden a huge arc, killed the mower, (surprisingly started right up) and the power board between the 2 car garage and the house also arc'd. the short I created, went all the way back to the breaker box.... scared the snot out of me, went to a neighbor farm (I didn't have any tools with me) and the land owner's cousin came back with me, and changed out the breaker... cut that "leg" way back within the box, so it can't happen again...…. NOW we know for sure there's no "juice" to that building....
      whats weird is a couple years before this I brought my gas powered compressor out there and when I didn't have all the "crap" that's in that barn, I painted my utility trailer in there..... used the gas compressor because of previously having been told that this building had no power to it.....
      Don
      Kankakee IL

Comment

Jeez Zip, what a mess! BTDT though. A lot of us have. Glad it didn't tear anything up!!!
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Yep. me too, I balled up about 40 feet of barbed wire once.
          Best part is your ok Zip, the deck can be untangled and put back in service, but your hide is priceless. Be safe.

Comment

Nice save! That could have been much worse, glad you weren't hurt.
            Vic
            Beulah, Michigan

Comment

I just feel the need to tell this story....

So, my granddad decided to go to organic farming when I was a teen. Over the years we tried a lot of different tools. He decided to buy a brand new Howard Rotivator, which is a huge tiller, to work fields with. It was 10' wide and took every ounce of power the 1066 made to pull it. It was painfully slow to go over fields with. Probably not really much slower or faster than a 6 bottom plow for those of you who remember those days. Anyway.... I was tilling in a field up next to a couple concrete pad pens we kept hogs in. All at once that tiller jumped up out of the ground! Ground shook, weeds shot all around feet away. Well.... apparently granddad had left a piece of 16' hog panel fence in the edge of the field after repairing the actual wood fence sometime during the winter but "forgot about it". "Oops", I think he told a very annoyed... maybe even angry 16yo me as I took the torch out to cut that thing out of it's balled up state under that big tiller. Man I was hot! Took quite a while to get it out as I recall.

So yeah..... BTDT. You're in good company Todd.

Found old shackle rods with that big tiller a few times too, but that wasn't nearly as bad. Usually they were only short sections a few (6-8) feet long and didn't have to come out right away.
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Yeah, had my own tiller mess.
                Father bought the first tiller, it was a Rhino brand, I think 55".
                I was tilling down in the woods, and all at once, WAY up ahead of me, I could see the grass/weeds moving all around, thought, "what the hell is going on up there?"
                Yup, it was a two strand, old electric fence, that had fallin down, back before my days.
                Rolled that some bitch up under that tiller, don't recall how many feet it was, but in the tine area, the wire was covering the tines. Manya hour was spent cutting it out. Didn't go there again...
                They can't all be turn key.
                Make the best of each and every day.
                Todd
                Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

I had a single snowmobile ski(complete with leaf spring) come up out of the garden a few years ago... garden was there for at least 5 years previous... still waiting for the rest of the machine to come up.Lol
                  Lance S.
                  Alberta Canada

Comment

• J-Mech
                    J-Mech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's crazy!
                Working...
                X