Two post lift question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two post lift question

Okay, still working on the new shop and I hope to have my MIL moved in the apartment in the next week or two.

I'm in the early stages of looking at 2 post lifts. I'm wanting a 10k or 12k capacity as my dually weighs just under 10k.

The ceiling height is 13' 6" so I should be good on the height. The concrete is at least 2' thick with a bunch of rebar in the area where the columns will be.

I'm liking the Mohawk lift but not the price. I've also looked at BendPak, Rotary and a few others.

Is the Mohawk worth the extra $?

What do you guys & gals like or have used in the past that can steer me in the right direction?

What is your dually Todd? Single cab, extended, quad? Make, model and specs would help. I'm only asking because how big the truck is makes a difference on what you will be happy with. Are looking at symmetrical or a-symmetrical? Typically on large trucks like that, symmetrical is best. But if you want to put cars on it too.... ??? Need more info.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

My truck is a Cab & chassis, Chevy dually, 4 wheel drive extended cab(not a crew) with a 9' Reading utility body. It weighs just under 10k. IIRC it is a model 36053 I will also be using it on my cars too. I'm not sure I would lift the truck to work under it but if I had to it would be nice. I'm not sure if I should go symmetrical or a-symmetrical. Sorry, I've never used a lift before so I'm in uncharted territory. I was hoping you would chime in.

Comment

Sweet! That's where I f#$%^d up, when building my shop, not enough ceiling height.
        We have a guy local here who sells, and installs lifts. Don't recall his brand, but there "seems" to be a bunch of them being sold.
        I have noticed on two post lifts, just from what I've watched on the interwebs, that with a longer vehicle, they have a adjustable post that goes on the rear of said vehicle.
        Good idea doing your research, ask all the questions before purchase...
        Sorry buddy, as I'm NO help on your inquiry.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Hey Todd, sorry I'm busy and slow to respond.
          I would recommend a lift that can be used as both a symmetrical and asymmetrical. You will want to use it one way on the truck, but the other balances cars better. There are lifts that can be used both ways. Just make sure you get the truck balanced well before getting under it. I used to lift them up about 6"-12" off the floor and just rock the shit out of them to see if it would shift. If you are going to work under it, they do build 5'-6' tall jack stands you can put under to keep it from rocking. For the most part, they can't fall off, but if weight shifts, they can slide. I used to use a stand when pulling transmissions on heavy ton trucks because you removed so much weight that there was potential for a weight shift. Especially on utility beds. Cars are almost never unbalanced on a asymmetrical lift, but trucks with utility beds are, and that's why a symmetrical is better for a heavy truck.

As far as brand goes, there are a lot of good ones out there. Rotary has been around a long time, so they know car lifts. If you have any specific questions just ask. Hope this helps.
          ​​​​​
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I agree with everything Jonathan said. Rotary is my favorite. We also have a BendPak. No issue with it, I just like the Rotary better.

Comment

rotary isn't what they used to be. I think they have a 2nd (cheap) line... they call it "Revolution" I believe. If I were buying a new lift today yeah the Mohawk is pricey but built like a brick $#!thouse. Id not buy Rotarys sub-line but would look at their "legacy" (my word for it, IDK what they call their "better line now a days)
              I was at a local exhaust shop recently they have a couple of Rotary lifts and the difference between them besides age, is significant. their newer one is like tin compared to the older one.... I cannot believe they put the same rating on the thinner one. The Rotarys we had when I was last an alignment guy 15 years ago, were much beefier looking than the exhaust shop's Rotary.

I have a Weaver 2 post, symmetrical version. mine has the floor plate which some people claim is a impediment and gets in the way of things like tranny jacks, but I find that I am well on one side or the other of the plate. I like the symmetrical because I can pull a car in or back it in, and I am the same distance from the arms and lift pads either way, something not true on an assymetrical. . but try to get in a vehicle that is partly lifted, say to pump brakes while someone else bleeds them and sometimes I cant get the doors open enough to get someone in because the doors hit the arms.... not always though.
              As it turns out my lift is one of the newest of Weaver above ground, 2 post lifts they made.... Rotary bought out that part of Weaver in 1989. (bought out the competition) Mine is a 1986.
              I watch the videos of 2 guys walking up the posts to set up a 2 post lift.... wouldn't happen with this one.... I had to take the bucket off of a mid size tractor and chain the column to the arm to get it upright.
              It took 4 of us with a semi truck load strap wrapped it around the top and we pushed them over 1 at a time, 4 of us playing "tug o'war" with the falling column, my cousin at the front pushed it ofer… I was the "anchor" of the tug o war and my feet were sliding.... we tried hard to ease the columns over and they still went down with a heavy thud. did all I could to lay them down without destroying my trailer.
              Repeat for the other side.
              I needed my trailer before we could get this set up, my son took it to work and set the columns off for a couple days while I moved my toolbox to my then-new job... they had a tractor there that was big enough to pick up the columns. and then to reload it when I was done moving my toolbox.

and watch the size of the footprint of the base that bolts to the ground. the ones we have at work, are like half the size of the ones on the lift that I have here. means a lot for stability when you do have to yank and shake while under a car. much better to spread that load out.

look around, got any buddies that have a lift? WHere did you have your last brake job or set of tires done? See if you can go back and look at their lifts, youre thinking of buying one.
              I got mine off of Craigslist, at what I 1st thought was a "too good to be true" price. Shortly later, there were a few dealers near that closed and sold off their lifts. You don't have to have new. I had to take down and remove my lift from the place that I had bought it. which helped a lot, when having to remember how to reassemble here in my garage. I was at a garage /estate sale 2 weekends ago (private owner) and among this guys tools and equipment, they had a working lift that I later found out, sold for $750 to a guy down the street.and it was an older well made unit.

Bearings, hydro units and such can be had without going back to the manufacturer. I rebuilt mine as I put it up, it has 14 bearings in it that are the same coincidentally as the main input on a Ford 4 speed Toploader trans. Matched up the bearing numbers from Motion Industries much cheaper than getting them as "lift parts" probably didn't have to go thru it but thought it was best while I had it all apart.... Mine is comparable to that Mohawk you mentioned, much heavier than anybody else's lift in a local shop.

other than my compressor (which I also bought used and paid almost exactly the same for as I paid for my lift) and my MIG, this lift is hands-down the best money I have spent on tools and equipment.
              Don
              Kankakee IL

Comment

oh yeah you mentioned Bend Pak.... the Bend Pak we have at work is a POS. all distorted, back arms bent and such. not saying they all would be.
                Don
                Kankakee IL

Comment

Working...
                X