What's going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's going on?

Everyone hanging in there? With the way things are going in this country, well, it's not all bad, but it's been a whole lot better.
    I've been reducing my cubs. Just don't use them, and finally came to the realization, I won't. So started out by putting a crazy number on my 147 with Haban sickle mower, and it was gone in less than a few hours.
    Next went the Case 222, then a couple parts tractors. So I next put the 100 up. I thought I priced it high enough, that there wouldn't be much interest. Huh, not the case, there was more interest than I though, just for a tractor, nothing else. It was kinda sad seeing it go, being it was the tractor that started it all for me...
    There was a guy here, he offered real good money for my 782, but I just wasn't ready to let it go. He came back a month later, more money in his pocket, wanting to put it in mine. Still held out. What was I thinking?
    I'm really not finding the interest in the Cubs like I once was. Just moved on to other things. It wasn't overnight, but yeah, it happened. Do miss the BS sessions, talking tractors. Suppose one thing that did happen, to help make the decision, my long time Cub dealer decided to hang it up. That I could see coming. I grew real close with him, and he told me how things have really changed.
    With the big box stores, and their prices, he just couldn't make it as a local dealer. Then Cub put some unrealistic numbers he was supposed to sell each year, just wasn't happening. He can't compete with them. Dirty shame, cause 9 out of 10 times, he'd have what I needed, or it would be there in a couple days.
    I guess, everything changes, nothing stays the same. I suppose, this includes me.
    I still check in every day or so. Habit I guess. Hope everyone is well, and hanging in there.

They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

I hear ya Todd. I just don't have the time anymore to work on my stuff. Maybe this fall when it cools off but I still need to do some stuff to finish my shop. With the high temps and high prices everything costs now I kinda took a break on working on it but I need to get it insulated before it gets cold. I have way too many machines also so I will be thinning my herd too but around here I don't think there will be much interest.

Comment

• zippy1
      zippy1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Todd, I thought the same, so started out HIGH. Surprise, found out, there's a ass, for every seat.

Well, it seems right about the time that I started this site up life really began to change for me. Between my wife and I we have 5 kids. 3 boys and 2 girls. Well, we just had the oldest turn 16 this last month, and the youngest is 10. One is involved in too many "extra curricular's" and he also works. We now have 3 in high school, one in Jr High, and one on her last year of grade school. So...... the kids alone keep us busy. Just feeding them a meal is a lot of work, AND MONEY!!! Anyway, I also am looking at some changes in the "work scene" which are pretty involved. That has me pretty busy. I also started a small mowing company with the kids, but this year I wanted a new mower so I bought one. Now I've been doing all the mowing alone to make the money back to pay for the mower I bought. They can and still will and want to help, I just want the cash back for the mower. It was more than I'd ever spent on a mower before, lol. Anyway..... I totally understand "busy". I still have a shed full of CC tractors, and actually have picked up some more and maybe even some equipment for them, that I haven't had time to share with the group. The Cubs do little mowing now that I bought the Walker Mower, but they still do their fair share of the garden work, pulling other equipment, snow removal and more. I still take a lot of pictures, but just lack time to post about it. It's not lack of wanting to, it just takes a lot of time to sit down and upload the pics, write the posts and share. Time I used to spend on other forums, I just don't have as much of anymore. (Time that is, to spend online.) I still have big plans to restore some Cubs, and IH equipment, but at present, I don't have time for that either. I figure over the next 20 years or so, I'll pay thousands of dollars to store these machines, and when I retire and actually have time to spend on them I won't have the interest in them anymore, lol. So goes life. I seriously debated selling off the majority of them and only keeping back a few. I told myself that I can always buy them again when I want to. But..... in the end, it took me years to round up those tractors and equipment, and I you just never know what life will give to you. So, I rent a shed for $500/year that I store it all in and they are there when and if I am ready to play with them. It's just money after all. I already spent it to buy them, and other than the pretty minimal storage fee, they aren't eating any money. It's a good shed and I don't think they are degrading sitting in it. Not fast anyway.

So... that's kind of my "story" on why I don't share as much as I used to. Still in the game, just kind of quietly. Maybe in the future I will have more time. Who knows. I just hope that this site can grow and more people who do have time, like we all used to, will start posting more and keep joining up. I'm not sure how much longer I want to keep maintaining the site if it isn't going to be any busier than it is. It doesn't take an exuberant amount of time.... or money. But there is expense to it. Actually I thought it was on the way up until Covid, then it kind of died down. Not sure what happened really. Seriously, who ever reads this, if you are a member and have stories to share or questions to ask, please, post them up! Us "busy" guys have time to read, or even comment. Plus, a lot of us were VERY involved in the hobby a few years ago, and had been for years. It's someone else's turn to share, post pictures and tell stories. Let us follow along with you as you discover a really cool hobby.

I'm glad to have met and known all you guys on here. Hope we can continue to "hang out" over the years. Maybe someday, we won't be as busy as we are now and can get back to enjoying our hobby and each others stories and company. You are all a good group of men (and some women)!!

~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

It's been a busy spring and summer for my wife and me. I'm retired a few years. Wife retired a year ago and came home with a Honey do list. O my. In a retired alone at home time I would do all the outside yard and home maintenance. But, this year it is her list and the yard is a mess. Cub gets used for the occasional mowing.

Tasks so far. Remove all the carpets and pad. Screw down the particle board thru the plywood into the joists to eliminate squeaks. Over 3000 screws. Paint ceilings, walls, trim, windows in prep for new carpets. Painted all rooms except for MBR, baths and kitchen. All are still on the list. Carpet installed by others about a month ago. Lots of moving of furniture.

Scrub and stain cedar fascia as prep for install of gutter hangers for half round gutters. Four stainless screws per hanger on 24" centers. About 130 feet total seamless gutter (contractor rolled and placed longest ~ 80 feet). Dig underground drains away from the house.

We haven't had gutters for 20+ years and did not need due to 4 foot overhangs.

But, retired wife wants a pool. So, I've been the support hand labor to clean-up after the contractor, pick- up the constant rocks, and relocate dirt as possible not to tear up the grass areas with their excavators. Contractor may show one day in two weeks and then nothing. We were hoping to use the pool this summer, but at their progress, maybe we'll have water by Halloween and winter closing.

The yard is a huge mess. Been to hot to work past 11AM most days

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm still here.. life changes like everybody else.. my Cub interest has come and gone over the years.. but it never really leaves for good.. Always comes back around.. I sat on a familiar seat yesterday and mowed some grass.. the 1450 that I grew up with.. memories came flooding back as I mowed the same yard that I grew up in.. haven't mowed moms grass in a few years now... but she wasn't feeling well so I decided to do it for her.. the 1450 felt like it still remembered me.. it has served us since about 1976.... still a reliable old workhorse though.. I have and unfinished 782 project in my way in the shop.. ill drag it back out when it gets cooler.. I promise... I miss jawwing with ya'll on here.. kinda like old friends that have never met but we know each other well.. I'll try to get back on here as much as I can.. miss my old cub buddies!

Comment

Jon...... Just wait till you have Grandkids!!!
          Randy
          Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

But I am trying to smoke away all their inheritance!!
            Randy
            Frederick MD

Comment

Randy, I hope to find out how grandkids are...... someday! But not too soon, lol.

A nice cigar really sounds good. Maybe someday I can make it out east again and have one with you.

~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Im here waiting!!
                Randy
                Frederick MD

Comment

It made me a little sad to read this post, both for Zippy selling Cubs and Jonathan's thoughts on the viability of the forum. I should post more here. The unfortunate reality for me is that the Cub pages on Facebook are more active if you have a quick question to ask so I find myself reading over there more. This forum is great for documenting projects over time though and ability to curate all the reference material like you have. I feel like a forum like this needs a critical mass and we just haven't gotten there yet.
                  Brice

Comment

Whats Facebook???
                    Randy
                    Frederick MD

Comment

While I occasionally look at book-face, I have greatly reduced my exposure and usage due to the political messages and censorship. I prefer to go to FB stories from my friends and cut the agenda. I closed my twitter account.

I like the honest straight forward experienced answers to questions found on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X