Some old earth moving pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some old earth moving pictures

Everett, Gaylord, Philip, lois late 40's.jpg Just thought I'd put up some older pictures of my family's earth moving machines... This was late 40's. My dad and his brothers and sister. Father was the little feller with his feet on the tool box. Zippel const late 40's-3.jpg Heading out to a job. Bet the DOT wouldn't let you get far like this today. Old Chevy gasser must have been one hell of a ride... Zippel Const. road work 1959-1.jpg This was the winter of 59 and 60. A two mile road being built. Zippel Const. road work 1959-2.jpg They used to build a shelter to keep the dozers in, and a fire inside with someone there all night. Only way to keep the machines warm so they would start in the morning. Zippel Const. road work 1959-3.jpg D-6 and the Cat pull sraper. I can't remember the number... Zippel Const. road work 1959-4.jpgZippel Const. working up north 1959-1.jpg Just another picture of the shelter. And the fuel trailer.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Todd, those are really cool pictures! Eirlooms for sure! Thanks for sharing!!

I have copies of the silent movies my great uncle made from the 50'S through the early 80's. He had a Super 8.
    ​​​​
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• Arnie Cunningham
      Arnie Cunningham commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d like to see those

• J-Mech
      J-Mech commented
      Editing a comment
      I really need to digitize them. Right now they are on VHS, and I don't have a VCR anymore. Somewhere, we still have the reels!

Thanks for posting these Todd. I love seeing the actual shots of them at work back then. The scraper looks brand new in the first picture! Very creative way of towing it too.

Comment

Man that’s awesome! Thanks for sharing!
      Rich

Comment

Todd, those are awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Wonderful pictures Todd. I've worked on some of that older vintage equipment back in the late 70's and more than a few times in winter conditions as well. You don't know cold until you spend all day outdoors in single digit weather trying to get equipment started or keep it running. I used to come home and soak in a hot bath for a half hour just to feel normal again. You know what? I actually kind of miss those days a little, to be 25 again and ready for anything! Good memories! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great pictures with personal history

If you make it out to Rough and Tumble in Kinzers PA, they have a "big boys toy" play area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKD9LgNVVs

Comment

Cool video Jeff. We have the same thing at our local show with a few cable operated dozers and a drag line. I like that old well drill truck and I think that’s an old B series Mack dump truck? Awesome

Comment

Really cool. I like seeing old equipment. Post more if you have them. Happy thanksgiving buddy.
                Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  I remember most of the stories on the cold. And how hard it was starting the machines, and trying to keep the men warm. They used to turn the fans around in the fall, and canvas up the sides to have the "warm" engine heat blow back on them.
                  There wasn't one of the "old" guys that didn't blame hemorrhoids on sitting on those seats in the cold. There wasn't no cabs, or heaters of any sort. Today's young-uns would tell you they didn't need a job that bad...
                  Mike, that scraper was new. They had two of them, one was larger, but I don't know which one this was. I remember playing in/on them when I was real little. They were parked when they got the first self propelled Euclid TS-14 in 1966, with two Detroit 4-71's. That was what my father operated...
                  I've got more pictures, I'll get up if you want to see more, there on the other puter. To me, it's cool to see how they started, and progressed through the years. Just sad to see it all came to an end last year, with only my uncle left, and he's 82 years young.
                  Here was an add that ran in the news paper. Check out the phone number. 28055686_555661118129336_7789419778801987759_n.jpg
                  Todd

Comment

This is all that's left on my puter, the rest would need to be scanned. That's my grandpa with his D-6 with Hyster. They used that for ditching, pond building. Here they were on a lake clearing stumps. Late 40's.
                    Carl Zippel with dozer late 40's.jpgLogging winter-1.jpg
                    This was the same machine with a clam on it loading logs. Logging winter-2.jpgLogging winter-5.jpg
                    This was my dad late 50's with a D-6 clearing "muck" from a lake... Philip Zippel cleaning out a lake late 50's.jpg
                    Todd

Comment

What lakes were they working in?
                      Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Keep them coming! Awesome pics Zippy!
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstripewideframe View Post
                          What lakes were they working in?
                          The one from winter was White Potato, and I thought the one my dad was on/in was Balcom Lake, but not for certain...
                          Todd

Comment

Awesome pics Todd. Looks like your family had one hell of a business. I'm still trying to figure out how to dial that phone number. Thanks for sharing those.

Comment

Working...
                            X