Transmission for Cub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission for Cub?

A transmission for a Cub? Well not exactly, but it weighs as much as a super Cub. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a couple of pictures of a project I took in. This is a 13 speed RoadRanger transmission model RTO-9513 out of a 72 Brockway road tractor. It's been sitting apart for a while and a little dirty, but It's going to get a total rebuild, new bearings, seals, reset the main shaft to gear tolerances, and rebuild all the air slaves for the range shift and overdrive shift, along with anything else I find bad or worn.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I love Roadrangers. Such a great transmission. Nothing shift better, or last as long.

You should remove the air shift slaves, and put manual linkage on, then add two sticks in the cab and make a 3 stick.....

Very cool Stan. Very cool!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Just finished the parts list required to put this trans back the 100%. It needs just shy of $1250 in parts, and I'll have about 10 hours labor in the rebuild. And you thought Cub parts were expensive!

Comment

• J-Mech
        J-Mech commented
        Editing a comment
        "Expensive" is relative, lol.

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
      Just finished the parts list required to put this trans back the 100%. It needs just shy of $1250 in parts, and I'll have about 10 hours labor in the rebuild. And you thought Cub parts were expensive!
      I have a couple boats and a '77 Corvette. Cub parts are inexpensive

Comment

• J-Mech
        J-Mech commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not much for boats, but I'd like to see the Vette!

• Diesel Doc
        Diesel Doc commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to see the boats! Besides Cub Cadet and Brockway trucks, I also collect vintage Mercury outboards.

Haven't messed with many Merc outboards but I used to play with the Jonnyrudes (OMC) a fair amount
      Don
      Kankakee IL

Comment

BTDT, we had RTOO-9513's in some of our concrete trucks

Comment

This one's an RTO, but there's another one here in the shop that's an RTOO 9513. Looking for a back half for it. RTOO uses a different gear ratio than a single over.

Comment

I've I'd a few fro's and rtlo's apart. very robust and fairly simple to rebuild.
            Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Yep, great transmission, rugged as hell and simple to repair. Parts are getting a little harder to find for the old 900 and 950 series thou.

Comment

• J-Mech
                J-Mech commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know where you get parts, but General Truck up around Chicago has ALWAYS been able to get me the hard to find parts for the old gear transmissions. Now, I've been out of the "loop" for a few years, but they've gotten me parts for old 5 speed Eatons, some old NP's, Spicers, even the old Borg Warner 3 speeds. Several Clarks, and parts for Roadrangers. May not be cheap, but they could get them.

https://www.generaltruckparts.com/

• Diesel Doc
                Diesel Doc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the lead on parts Jon. I'll give them a call !

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
              A transmission for a Cub? Well not exactly, but it weighs as much as a super Cub. I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a couple of pictures of a project I took in. This is a 13 speed RoadRanger transmission model RTO-9513 out of a 72 Brockway road tractor. It's been sitting apart for a while and a little dirty, but It's going to get a total rebuild, new bearings, seals, reset the main shaft to gear tolerances, and rebuild all the air slaves for the range shift and overdrive shift, along with anything else I find bad or worn.
              Thanks for sharing Stan! This brings back memories! Never worked on one but rode many miles as a kid with Dad in an old IH Fleetstar with a 6-71 Detroit and a 10 speed Roadranger.. He always complained that the little Detroit was underpowered and really needed a 13 speed to keep the in the powerband.. I remember with a load in 5th gear you had to really wind it up and as dad said "kiss" the governor then quickly come back and "hook" 6th gear to keep it from falling on it's face!

I was always intrigued by the Big Fuller Roadranger Shifting instruction decal on the dash!

Comment

The only 18 speed I ever dealt with in person was an old 60s Mack dumptruck with a Quadraplex in it. Our family business used IH everything but when they made the gravel bank they bought a Euclid loader with a Detroit 471, a screen machine and the Mack as a package deal. I was a kid riding in it back and forth to jobs and the gravel bank and I remember the old guy having to put his cigarette in his mouth, shift the right stick with his right hand and reach through the steering wheel with his left hand to grab the left stick. It was rough as hell but tough as nails too. I ended up redoing the trunion bushings in that old thing when I first started wrenching.

Take some more pics Doc I’ve only ever been through one Fuller and that was a ten speed that had a bad bearing noise in maybe 5th only? I can’t remeber it was 20 years ago.

Comment

Will do Arnie. Might be a couple of days before I'm back on that job. I've got the shafts out of the box now and can lay out some stuff for pics.

Comment

• Arnie Cunningham
                    Arnie Cunningham commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Stan that would be great
                Working...
                X