5 bolt hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 bolt hubs

So i know a bunch of you have done it, so what does it take and what will I need to get this done on my 782 BEAST? Im going through bearings a few times a year, of course that might have something to do with the 160# of weight on the front😁.
    i just need a beefier front end to maych the rest lol.
    i have a super steer front axle and great tires just needs a little tweaking. So with that said, how did you all do it. And remember i use around 160# on the front and 400+# on the back not including the R-bucket.

Ok, some silly questions....
    Where are you getting the bearings?
    Are you greasing them before install?
    Are you using the grease-able wheels the later super steer axles used?
    Is the toe-in set correctly?

I mean, yeah, you are carrying some extra weight up front, but not much more than the weight of a 450 blower. I have ran my blower for hours and hours and I have yet to ever put wheel bearings in the front of my 1811. You shouldn't be going through them that fast..... not even close. I don't think you have a weight issue... I think something else must be going on.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I bought the bearings from Parts Tree, and ofcourse there greased,,, you know me, im a nut case when it comes to maintenance, the toe-in well its a little off, and I put zerks in my rims years ago, keep them GREASED!😁. Maybe im just looking for an excuse lol. The ones in it now are less than a year old and im starting to get wobble in them.

Comment

Any thought that the vreds might some how be putting some kind of extra side load on them and be prematurely roaching them out?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie Cunningham View Post
          Any thought that the vreds might some how be putting some kind of extra side load on them and be prematurely roaching them out?
          No. As long as the alignment is correct, tread doesn't matter.

Keith, align that thing!!
          A little loose is ok, and pretty normal. These aren't precision bearings. Matter of fact, they are pretty pathetic bearings really..... but seem to hold up well.

Sorry I had to ask about the grease. I do know how you are, but you never know what someone may not realize or what might get missed/overlooked.

As far as 5 bolt hubs go, golf carts pretty much use what you are after. You don't necessarily need 5 bolt. 4 bolt would work. Just don't leave the ugly golf cart tires on there. Personally, I'd probably look into a 10X3 trailer rim and go to a taller tire, but it will likely raise the front up even more than the SS axle did. If memory serves, you are running 26X12-12's on the rear, so it may level it out better.....
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Actually the 26" tires leveled it out because he put the super steer axle on it. Is there any 4 bolt rim available that he could still run his 16 6.5 rims?

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue11 View Post
              Is there any 4 bolt rim available that he could still run his 16 6.5 rims?
              Yes there is!

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM20011.html
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
              X