Steering wheel puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel puller

Just thought I'd share this afternoon's project. I finally decided to make a puller for removing the plastic hub style steering wheels like those found on the 82 series. It's a 1" thick piece of aluminum 4" X 5" with a two inch hole in the center. Then I split the piece in half on the 5" length with the cutoff saw. There are two bolts to clamp the piece back together and two 3/8" holes for the lengths of threaded rod to pass through. Using my bar type puller I was able to tighten the drive screw enough to put a good deal of pressure on the wheel, then a good hit on the drive screw popped the wheel off. Absolutely no distortion to the underside of the plastic wheel.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Nice work! I used a bearing splitter when I removed mine. Just had to get longer bolts than were in the puller set I have.
    Rich

Comment

Great job Stan! Now build 10 more and sell them!!!
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Nice work.
        I'll take one
        Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Very Nice Stan! What did you use on top of the worm tube to keep from messing up the shaft?

Comment

Jay, my Snap-On bar puller has a live center on the drive screw. I center punch the end of the steering shaft to keep it from walking and go at it. It made the center mark a little bigger, maybe 3/16 diameter.

Comment

I've always had good luck with this one.. Military surplus.. they used to be cheap and plentiful.. last I looked they have gotten scarce and pricey. I use it ALOT on older jeeps.. works good on Cubs also! wheel puller 1.jpgwheel puller 2.jpgwheel puller 3.jpg

Comment

Jay have you got a brand name and part number for that puller? It looks like a nice set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
                  Jay have you got a brand name and part number for that puller? It looks like a nice set-up.
                  Stan, This one is a ROCO model 5120-620-0020... specified for M series military vehicles.. everything from a 1/4 ton jeep all the way up to a 5 ton truck. We have had it for 30 plus years.. I don't think dad paid over $35 for it military surplus.. but I see them going for $125 to $150 now.. I have seen the same puller branded OTC, and one other brand that I can't remember. I'm sure the military had the design farmed out to more than one manufacturer over the years.. I've never busted a steering wheel with it.. I did quit once with a 72 Cub cadet.. I didn't really have to have the wheel off and I got scared it was going to deform the top of the shaft.. No reason your puller shouldn't work just as well... but if you are like me you never say no to a new tool!!

Comment

Thanks Jay! I took a look on Ebay and looks like the military must have decommissioned a bunch. Here's a guy that has "more than 10" for sale. You're right, I never pass on a chance to buy a new tool (if I've got the money!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCO-5120-6...-/302582301644

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
                      You're right, I never pass on a chance to buy a new tool (if I've got the money!)
                      That's no joke!! Like $80K worth of tools in my possession, and I don't have enough, LOL! Right now, I don't earn my living with them, so I don't buy like I used to!
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Looks clean enough to eat off of! Nice job Doc!

Comment

Working...
                        X