Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had to fix my lathe ( back in business )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to fix my lathe ( back in business )

I was parting off some driveshaft material when the stock started slipping in the chuck. I quickly grabbed the spindle lever by the headstock and lifted it quickly to stop the chuck from spinning. I heard "clunk".

Turned out the "snot glob" nickel weld the previous owner did failed and the end of the carriage lever was on the floor. Since brazing is currently beyond my skill set ( no oxy acetylene set up), I asked a friend of mine to help.

I removed the lever on Thursday night, bead blasted it Friday and took it out to Rough and Tumble where Bill would braze it.

Pics as follows, broken knob, preheat with flux, braze 1st side, braze 2nd side, after grinding and scotchbrite wheel and back on the Monarch CK 12

Attached Files

Glad she's up and running again Jeff.
    Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Lucky it was something fairly easy to get at instead of deep in a gear box etc. Another battle scar on a great old machine. I know a lot of machinists prefer the Monarch lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
        Lucky it was something fairly easy to get at instead of deep in a gear box etc. Another battle scar on a great old machine. I know a lot of machinists prefer the Monarch lathe.
        Already did the gearbox repair. The one gear box lever was broken when I got the lathe ( got the price down $500 because of it too ). Monarch could have made a new gear change lever for me for just under $500 and a 12 week wait. I made my own repair and it works perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_iehTZIbow

Comment

An annoying break down for sure! Glad it was an easy fix!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Working...
          X