Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Projects...................What Are They?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Projects...................What Are They?

As usual, I have too many projects......mostly unfinished. Right now I'm finishing a two bottom plow made from two Brinly sleeve hitch plows.
    The two projects that I need to concentrate on this winter are my Johnson 24 loader on a Massey 1855 and my rear mount Haban sickle bar mower.
    The loader project started out on a Cub Super. I looked at a Massey 1655.......they are a really heavy duty tractor. After looking at the Massey with it's hydro being foot pedal controlled, I decided it would be a great platform for the loader so I went on the hunt and found a Massey 1855.
    The sickle bar mower was originally a belly mount on a Wheel Horse. I've got it 90% done even to the point of a trial run. Just need to paint and reassemble it.

A quick question........how many of you get a project close to finished and then get side tracked? Seems I do that on most every one!

I'll post pictures of the projects later.
    Tim

Tim, you know me. Lots of plans for big projects, but seems winter goes by before they all get done. Or I get caught chasing the dollars needed to do the projects, and don't actually get to any, lol.

Seriously, this fall I want to wrap up the work I was doing on JD317 so I can either use it or sell it off. Then get all my snow equipment ready to roll. Not hoping to need it, but got asked to do snow removal this year from a guy who owns a bunch of rentals, so I want to be ready.

This winter, I want to put a motor in the 982 and get it "field ready" for garden work in the spring. Then build a put a new motor in the 1050. Would like to set my IH planter up for use on the 982 as a 3pt mounted planter instead of pull behind. I have an IH walk behind tiller now, and I'd like it running and ready by spring. Then there's the motorcycle camper, and the Goldwing..... I'd like to work on those too. So... see. I have more projects than I will have time and money this winter!!!

Come on guys. Surely some others have plans for winter projects.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

If time and money permit, I'd like to paint the 1772 then install new tires all around. Mechanically it's done. My 2072 needs paint too, but that one will be "on duty" this winter. My main problem is that along with Cubs I collect antique Mercury outboards and Brockway trucks. All are fun!

Comment

I would like to get my 169 mechanicly sound and get a brinly hitch installed on one the cubs so I can be plowing in the spring. Is 10hp enough for a moldboard plow? I got a 104 thats sitting and complete or I got a 70 with no engine but I have a k301 that would fit( it would also need some other work). Lets just say its a project.
        Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Oh yeah Cory. 10hp will pull a plow. Probably not going to tug a 12". But it will pull an 8" or even a 10". The 10", you will need the right soil conditions.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstripewideframe View Post
            I would like to get my 169 mechanicly sound and get a brinly hitch installed on one the cubs so I can be plowing in the spring. Is 10hp enough for a moldboard plow? I got a 104 thats sitting and complete or I got a 70 with no engine but I have a k301 that would fit( it would also need some other work). Lets just say its a project.
            10hp is plenty to pull a plow, my 1050 pull's a 10" like it's not even back there.
            Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
            Indiana, PA
            Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

My winter project will be the Cadet 85. So far it's been cleaned, and partially disassembled. Thought I had a engine for it, but thought wrong.
              So, going to see if I can make something out of nothing...
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 3 photos.
              They can't all be turn key.
              Make the best of each and every day.
              Todd
              Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                Oh yeah Cory. 10hp will pull a plow. Probably not going to tug a 12". But it will pull an 8" or even a 10". The 10", you will need the right soil conditions.
                Soil conditions you say. My brother and I are planing on some food plots for the deer this spring, so it will be new ground and rocky too. Broke some open this summer with the tiller behind the 102. It was very hard on the tiller and tractor. Rocks and roots. Thought a plow would be a better option.
                Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by olds45512 View Post

10hp is plenty to pull a plow, my 1050 pull's a 10" like it's not even back there.
                  Good to know. Thanks Tim
                  Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

If the winter goes well I'd like to start on my 784. The plan is to pull it apart for paint and drop in a brand new Vanguard.
                    Indiana, PA

Comment

Originally posted by olds45512 View Post
                      If the winter goes well I'd like to start on my 784. The plan is to pull it apart for paint and drop in a brand new Vanguard.
                      You'll never regret the Vanguard replacement engine Tim. Small Engine Warehouse?
                      Todd

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post

You'll never regret the Vanguard replacement engine Tim. Small Engine Warehouse?
                        Yeah. It will be about $1450 by the time it's shipped but it will be like having g a brand new tractor when I'm all done.
                        Indiana, PA

Comment

Ouch..... It will be like a new tractor too!!
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I’m hoping to get some work done in the warm this winter! I have a Brinly cultivator I’d like to take apart and get it moving again. Probly give it a quick paint job too. Something I’ve never done before, but I’d like to learn. I’d like to get the oil drained in the hydro and suck the water out of the tubes, and put my Sam axle braces on too. If I come up with the extra scratch I’d like to get a set of Firestone 23s for on an extra set of wheels I have for garden work.
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Yettrbomb View Post
                              I’m hoping to get some work done in the warm this winter! I have a Brinly cultivator I’d like to take apart and get it moving again. Probly give it a quick paint job too. Something I’ve never done before, but I’d like to learn. I’d like to get the oil drained in the hydro and suck the water out of the tubes, and put my Sam axle braces on too. If I come up with the extra scratch I’d like to get a set of Firestone 23s for on an extra set of wheels I have for garden work.
                              Painting a cultivator, would be a good way to learn the painting process, being you've never done it before.
                              My first "real" paint job was my Original. I was a little nerves at first, but after a few passes, it was what it was. And I think it turned out alright...
                              If you have painting questions, we have a "in house" painting guru. Tim (olds45512) is your man for painting questions.
                              Ah, Firestone's? Good choice.
                              Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X