New shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New shop

Okay, it has been several weeks since I posted anything on this project, here we go.

I passed my plumbing inspection at the end of October and the inspector seemed real happy with everything.

I had to haul in about 8 tons of 57 stone (4 trips to the rock quarry) because it has been too wet to get a dump truck in. I spread the gravel out on the ground (not needed to meet code here). I then place 10mil plastic over the stone, overlapped it pretty good and taped it. (6mil is required by code here).

I then built the floor drain forms and set them to 1.25" below the top of the form boards. I don't want a lot of slope but just enough to hose the floor down when needed.

.......and then it rained about 2.5" on Saturday December 1st and I pumped water the next day.....and then it rained another 2" of rain on the following Saturday and I pumped water again on Sunday.

Today I had some guys come in and do my rebar on the slab area. I did all the grade beams and column pads myself but it's taking too long, the days are too short and did I say it rains way too much.

I had them run the bars on 1' centers so I can attach my oxygen barrier pex pipe to them for the slab heat.

As always, let me know if something doesn't look right or if there is something that I'm missing.

More pics to come as it goes and TIA.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 7 photos.

Looks good from here!
    Making progress

Comment

Great update. Glad to see progress, that’s a lot of rebar. I started to count to get a rough estimate of the size of the shop then I got lazy, anyhow remind me the size of the building? Looks huge.
      Tanner
      Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

Man Todd. If that darn rain would just leave you alone for a couple weeks.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Looks good Todd. Hang in there. Sooner or later, it will be finished and you can sit back and enjoy a cold one in your new shop!

Comment

Looks good Todd!

Wheres your bubble wrap??!

Comment

Thanks all.

G-Nest, it is 40'x60'.

Trent, good talking to you Sunday. I didn't think the crew would show up in the rain on Monday but they did. I did some research on it and I'm sure something is better than nothing but the cheapest stuff I could find was $1500 and then it would take several days to get it. Then I tried finding the R value of the stuff and there is a lot of conflicting stories out there + I don't know if the inspectors would approve it. I will try and run with out it and if it doesn't work I just wasted $2k. This isn't the primary source of heat but I hoping that it will work. I know,.....you're thinking what a dumbass and without it.

Comment

We put the styrofoam sheets under the concrete here for insulation. They make one with metal backing to reflect the heat up.

Hey, how cold does it get down there anyways??

Your building codes down there baffle me. Who rules the place you live? The Gestapo? Good grief, the things that aren't allowed!

Looks good though Todd. Damn the rain you got this year! At least you are making progress!
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Update...more rain this week again. We are now 17" above normal for the year and this is the 8th wettest year on record + more rain to come before the end of the year.

I was like
                  Ric.jpg
                  yes, I passed my monoslab inspection!

Now it's time for some crete-heat.

It's hard to see in the pics but I will have 6 loops in the shop that are each about 270' long. I'm using 1/2 Viega oxygen barrier pex that has an OD of about 5/8". The MIL apartment will have 2-3 loops and be on a separate zone. I'm not too happy that I couldn't use any insulation under the slab but this isn't the primary heating system for either side. Today I got 3 of the 6 run in the shop and I hope to have the rest of them finished before Christmas. As always.....let me know if I screwed something up.
                  DSCN4285.JPG

DSCN4286.JPGDSCN4287.JPGDSCN4288.JPG

Comment

Looks good to me!

Looks warm down there Todd. What's the temp??
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks John, it has been nice weather to work in when it's not raining, We have been in the 50's and low 60's and it looks the same for the next week too.

Comment

That's looking good!! You're doing exactly how I would have!! Excellent job with the strut!

Comment

Looking good Todd, when do the mixers arrive?

Comment

Jeepers Todd, thought you'd be drinking a beer on the porch by now.
                            Sucks about all the rain. But looks like your making some progress. Even if it's a little, it's progress.
                            Good luck bud...
                            They can't all be turn key.
                            Make the best of each and every day.
                            Todd
                            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Thanks guys.....yes, I have been drinking beer......beer is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X