4586 International: Rebuild thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4586 International: Rebuild thread

I thought I might share some of a project I'm doing at the farm. For those who don't know, I've helped my cousins farm for about 7 years as I had time. Changes in life has led to me working for them full time, so I enjoy being back farming again full time. Because of my experience though, I'm the official farm mechanic, lol. How fitting.

So, I had suggested to them several times they needed to upgrade to a 4wd tractor for tillage work. Some discussion came up for a purchase of a MFWD tractor, but it didn't pan out. I again brought up looking for an older 4wd tractor instead. My "selling point" being that if they found an older one that needed work, I could spend the winter getting it back into shape. (Quick note, this is a father-son operation, but there are 3 kids total. 2 boys, 1 girl. One of the boys farms together with the father, and the other boy works for the local FS Co-op.) So, one of the guys found an International 4586 for sale about an hour away. Turned out, I knew the guy who was selling it. I had worked with him while I was running the shops for Republic. I still had his number. Gave him a call and we eventually went down looked it all over (2 trips) and they bought the tractor. Chris (the son who farms) and I went down and got it running so we could bring it home.

The tractor has 2400 hours on the clock. It has sat, according to the PO, for about a year and a half not running. It was started that last time and moved to where it is sitting, but failed to make it all the way to the barn and was pushed the rest of the way with another tractor. Prior to that run, we can't get a straight answer as to how long it had sat....outside. The PO inherited it when another farmer (original owner) who had no children, left their farm to the PO's dad. The PO says they never really used it once they had it. It looks to us like it was used as the main tillage tractor when it was newer, but has sat for a long, long time. We think it did get used some over the last.... oh, maybe 10 years, but from how everything looks we think it likely hasn't been used in at least 5 years. The fuel tank is full of bio diesel, that has turned to sludge. The exhaust is rotted off at the turbo, or broke. Not real sure yet. Batteries did have some charge in them, but not enough to do anything. So, we replaced the batteries, and went to work getting fresh fuel to the motor. For those who don't know, these tractors were made for IH by the Steiger Tractor Company. They basically used the Steiger frame and cab, with whatever IH dictated to them for a powertrain. The engine is a DVT-800 IH V8 diesel. The trans is a Dana 5 speed Hi/Lo truck transmission. (Think 2 stick Mack.) The transfer case looks to be the same as Steiger used, but only single speed. I think it is also a Dana. The finals/ axles are IH 986 rear ends that are gutted with the exception of the ring and pinion. Pretty simple built machine.

We plan to pick it up this week, so when we get it home and start working on it, I'll update more. I may run a thread on Red Power Magazine forum also. If I do, I will link to the thread on here, but still update this one, only not likely in as much detail. You don't have to be a member of RPM to view, but you do to post, so all are welcome to follow there for details.

Here's some pics that were used in the For Sale ad, and 2 videos. One of it on the first start up, and the other of Chris driving it.... trying to break loose the stuck clutch. Forgot to mention that. After we got it running, I discovered the clutch was stuck. Oh well.... I've dealt with that before. Not sure if we will keep beating on it trying to break it loose, or just pull the trans and replace it. Not so much fun to do a clutch on this though.... easiest way is to take the cab off. So... anyway, that's what I've been kind of busy with for a week or two. Here's the pics! Video's below.

47440566_2259625300738449_7952345867980111872_n.jpg47578020_2259623284071984_6605992866156118016_n.jpg47357571_2259623074072005_8662402660357373952_n.jpg47386385_2259622967405349_3829609831451328512_n.jpg47436678_2259623347405311_6830445499108032512_n.jpg47579454_2259623594071953_6633320656433840128_n.jpg

First start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B397...1&index=2&t=0s

"Test drive" and try to break the clutch loose:
    Sorry for the poor quality on this one. I recorded it in low resolution to send in a text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAWncQYgA0&index=2&list=PLF5uGazAJz3iq96k azfud3gUAOPgRQWN1
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

looking forward to following this thread. Good luck, hope it all goes reasonably well

Comment

My Uncles' rented a 4586 I think in spring of 2004....it was a big SOB and that V8 had a very distinct sound. It was on duals all around as I remember. They had a Deere 8430 4x4 and the front diff went out on it and they needed a tillage machine, and a guy about 1/2 hr away had the 45 as a spare horse. It toyed with their equipment but it's also at least 80hp more.

I always thought a clean 4386 would have been a good machine for them, given the 466 engine and IH axles, stuff they were familiar with. But the 8430 was local, had a new engine and rearend in it when they bought it, and it gave them good service for many years.

I'll be interested in following this thread.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

I love it.
        I remember when these came out, and thought, HOLLY $HIT, that's one cool looking tractor.
        I've got a 1/64th of it. Please keep the updates coming Jon. Just start a thread on it here, cause I'll forget to check RP's forum.
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Brian:
          Yeah, this one will likely get switched to 20.8X38 tires and duals, but not likely until next year. Since it's a 40 year old tractor that has sat for ??? years, we will spend the winter getting it mechanically sound, and fixing up the cab so it's nice to ride in. The original 30.5X32 bias tires are...... old, lol. But if they will get us through a year, the guys said they will likely leave them on. We do have at least one spare tire from a combine that got switched to duals this fall. But it's a radial. Who knows. If a lot of money doesn't have to go into it, they might look for hubs and rims to convert it before spring. I'm already looking for a set. If we could find a set for a deal, they might bite. This tractor was dirt cheap, and it should have been for the condition. It's very solid, not worn out.... but it needs some attention due to sitting. Lots of cleaning to do, and all the fluids will get changed out. Not sure what all "upgrades" it will get, but the ones that have been discussed are: move the exhaust to the side of the cab; larger air filter mounted to the left fender; a control station built into the cab and all controls moved to it; switch from super single tires to duals; air suspension/ swivel base seat; move the batteries to a better location. Those mods alone are a lot of work. But, I'm looking forward to it!!! All in all, for the work needed and the price paid, can't go wrong. It is still going to be a cheap 300 horses!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
            I love it.
            I remember when these came out, and thought, HOLLY $HIT, that's one cool looking tractor.
            I've got a 1/64th of it. Please keep the updates coming Jon. Just start a thread on it here, cause I'll forget to check RP's forum.
            Thanks Todd. I'll keep this one going!
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Hook a chain to your Dodge and see if that Cummins can break the clutch loose. 😁 Loved those tractors when I was a kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Shrewcub View Post
                Hook a chain to your Dodge and see if that Cummins can break the clutch loose. 😁 Loved those tractors when I was a kid!
                Sorry Travis..... I don't have any Dodge diesel trucks any more. Sold my last one about 2 years ago. I drive a 91 Chevrolet K2500 gasser now. Not unhappy about it either really. I like the truck.

The PO told us it had stuck before. Said they chained to to a tree and broke it loose. I told him I was afraid we would pull the tree over onto the tractor, lol. We couldn't kill the motor at idle with the brakes... and it wasn't because the brakes were weak either. Just a f****** horse of a motor!!! (And it was in a pretty low gear, lol.)
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I'm looking forward to following this thread! I'd like to restore a larger tractor at some point when I get more time (and money!). Also some land that I'll actually need a bigger tractor.
                  Brice

Comment

Originally posted by cycub View Post
                    I'm looking forward to following this thread! I'd like to restore a larger tractor at some point when I get more time (and money!). Also some land that I'll actually need a bigger tractor.
                    Careful, lol. We aren't going to restore it.... just fix it up. Probably won't even get painted. Not this year anyway. Hoping I can talk them into at least letting me paint the hoods and the top of the cab though. They are mostly rust.

Do you farm Brice?
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

Careful, lol. We aren't going to restore it.... just fix it up. Probably won't even get painted. Not this year anyway. Hoping I can talk them into at least letting me paint the hoods and the top of the cab though. They are mostly rust.

Do you farm Brice?
                      Ain't nobody got time for that.

I do not farm. I've got family that does that I used to help out on, but the home farms are several hours away from where I live now.

So by 'bigger tractor' I mean something other than cubs ha.
                      Brice

Comment

Originally posted by cycub View Post
                        So by 'bigger tractor' I mean something other than cubs ha.
                        LOL!

I've got a 184 Lo-Boy I'd sell you..... that's bigger, lol.
                        ~Jonathan
                        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Cool tractor. I dont really have anything worthy to add, but I use a 4186 to move railcars at work.
                          Jeff
                          62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

Comment

Okay, I lied. It's a 4366. IMG_2713.JPGIMG_2714.JPG
                            They can't all be turn key.
                            Make the best of each and every day.
                            Todd
                            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
                              J-Mech commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Cool toy Todd!
                              I want an IH 4wd tractor toy.... but I want the 1/16th scale one, lol. They are a couple hundred at least if you can find one....

• zippy1
                              zippy1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yup, that's why I have the 1/64th for collecting. Take up less room as well.
                              I've got EVERY Dale Earnhardt car he raced in 1/64. Used to have around 25 1/24th cars. Cashed them in, when they were worth big bucks...

Great old machine! Now that is a project and half. When you get up to par, make a video doing what it was designed to do....also hang a great big American flag from it too. I would love to see it parked next to Zippy's little 85 Cadet. BTW, that is a cute little toy Zippy.
                            Queen Of The QuietLines

Comment

• J-Mech
                              J-Mech commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oh, I'm sure some video's will be made. During the process, and after!

I like that flag idea.....
                          Working...
                          X