Wants and Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wants and Needs

Well, I want a 5488. Always have always will, but at the moment I need something more compact... like 30 to 50 hp range. Want to pull a small 3pt shredder, use a sprayer for spot spraying, pull a 1 row planter for patch in jobs, haul some dirt, maybe move snow and move a few logs. Don't want to spend anymore than 5k initially on the tractor, and would like it to be in field ready shape at that. I grew up playing around on an 8N, but gramps thinks I need to buy a Jubilee or something newer than an 8n, with OHV, Live hydraulics, and live pto. Hes right.

My research shows the Jubilee has some funky little lever that disengages the rear differential instead of a 2 stage clutch... not wild about that. So I started looking at the 601/801 series tractors and found that a 661/861 has a 5 speed trans instead of 4, live pto, and live hydraulics. Even found some with powersteering. The 3pt has more lift capacity and the reverse is slower... see where im going with this? So according to tractor data the 861 has a few more ponies than the 661, but that and tire size appear to be the only real differences. HOWEVER, finding a 661 has proven me difficult. I did come across 2 861's on tractorhouse, which to me would be a little nicer with the extra power. Both machines are priced around the 6,500.00 mark negotiable on price.

Big question here, I really like the Sherman HighMedLow trans commonly found on the 8n's, would this be something able to add infront of a 861?

I would like input, mainly information regarding these tractors.1Thoughts?

Why a Ford Powermaster? Because. and a few other reasons. Physical size for 1. Features, aesthetics, heritage, parts availability and They are the last of the ford tractors to be painted International Harvester Red!

Love my Ford pickup and Red paint. With an 861 I could have it all!

Why not a 3000 or 4000? (New style.) Good size, power steering, same price range you're after, good parts availability, available in gas or diesel and easier to find. I like Ford tractors, but I wouldn't go back any farther than the 1000 series tractors.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
      Why not a 3000 or 4000? (New style.) Good size, power steering, same price range you're after, good parts availability, available in gas or diesel and easier to find. I like Ford tractors, but I wouldn't go back any farther than the 1000 series tractors.
      Poor reason, but the styling and paint. Love blue pickups but cant get around blue tractors for some reason.

Comment

Yeah, that's a silly reason. They're good tractors.
        Go get a an IH 544, 340 (with 3pt), 666, 656, 686, 5/784, 454, 444, 5/785 then....
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yeah, that's a silly reason. They're good tractors.
          Go get a an IH 544, 340 (with 3pt), 666, 656, 686, 5/784, 454, 444, 5/785 then....
          584 too expensive, 544 & 656 too big physically. we already have an 856, but its always in use and too big. Sorry :-/

Comment

504 Utility!!

Comment

584 should be in the $5000-$6000 range.
              544 and 656 were available in utility models. Same size as 4000 ford or smaller....
              ~Jonathan
              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

340's are small and cheap, but only 35hp and hard to find with 3pt. They'll do a lot though, just a bit slower.

Your price range is more of a killer than anything. Otherwise I'd say Kubota.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

340's are small and cheap, but only 35hp and hard to find with 3pt. They'll do a lot though, just a bit slower.

Your price range is more of a killer than anything. Otherwise I'd say Kubota.
                  I found a 504 Gas, would rather have diesel, https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...ernational-504

Nice looking tractor and loader, which i could give two fucks about a loader anyway, but none the less.

As far as the Kubota, I cant see spending that kinda money on a play toy. if im going to spend 15 to 20 k on a tractor its going to be a 5488! lol

Comment

IS A GAS 504 a viable option for what im wanting to do??

Comment

Yep. 504 is a fine choice. I knew there was at least one model I left out of the list...
                      It's bigger than a 340, smaller than a 584. Sell the loader.
                      ~Jonathan
                      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Yep. 504 is a fine choice. I knew there was at least one model I left out of the list...
                        It's bigger than a 340, smaller than a 584. Sell the loader.
                        What about the gas engine part

Comment

What does a 584 bring? Sounds like it'd be ideal.
                          Brian - Spring Grove, IL
                          IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
                          CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
                          Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
                          Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Originally posted by SS5150 View Post
                            What does a 584 bring? Sounds like it'd be ideal.
                            Ones I've seen are anywhere from 7-12k

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue11 View Post

What about the gas engine part
                              I'd be fine with it.
                              ~Jonathan
                              Oblong, Illinois

Comment

• Rescue11
                                Rescue11 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well Im going to call on it tomorrow and inquire
                            Working...
                            X