Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wake up it's spring! Warm weather Cub plans, what are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up it's spring! Warm weather Cub plans, what are they?

Winter looks like it is going to be wrapping up. Temps are going up, my grass is turning green and I'm starting to think about yard and garden work.

Zippy, Stan and Jay have kept us entertained with their winter projects, but not everyone has a nice warm shop to work in all winter. So, what plans do you have with your machines as the cold dread of winter breaks? Just service and put them to work? Or do you have projects that will start in the warmer season?

It's been a long slow winter and I'm just trying to get things livened up. Summer is coming!

I'm planning to meet up with Lance and do some swapping. He has a 1650 he picked up for me, and I'm going to go pick something up for him in the near future. I want to get the 1650 here so I can get it ready. Plan is to make in my mowing machine for this summer. If anyone remembers, he found me a 1650 that we thought was just going to be an engine donor for either exchange (with my rebuild program) or an engine for future projects. Price was cheap, so it was getting picked up either way. Turns out, that it was a nearly brand new tractor that had like 200 hours on the clock or less (can't remember now) and came with a brand new never used 50" deck! Paint still on the blades! Which was perfect because I was in dyer need of a new deck. My 50" deck was shot. Like wore thin and the bearings going out. It had been welded to the point there wasn't anything left to weld, and it just keeps cracking out. Not rotted really..... just wore out. Lots of grass run through it. I've been wanting to get a dedicated mowing tractor as I want to keep the cab on the 1811 permanently. Too much work to take it on and off, and it's a pain to store when it isn't on. Anyway, the 1650 has obviously sat more than anything and is just in need of general maintenance items. Carb cleaning, fluid change, tires may need tubed and a new battery. It does have a small hole rotted in the hood, as it's last owner left it sitting outside under a 2nd story deck as a storage spot for several years. Water and just debris sat on the hood and it rotted a hole in it. Too bad as it was so low houred.

So.... anyone else have any warm weather Cub plans?
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

I’ve been waiting to see more pics of that cub. Glad it is going to be put in service and not just ripped apart for the engine. The deck was new right? Delta would approve😉

My only plans are to wrap up the 123 and find more!
    Tanner
    Elk River, Minnesota

Comment

• J-Mech
      J-Mech commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been waiting to see it too Tanner. I'd like to see a brand new 40 year old Cub!

take the ariens gt with the snow blower on it, out to the barn to park for the summer, and swap it with the 129, and remnants of another 129 that I bought as parts along the way (no engine or transmission on that one), and an engineless/wheel less 1650, to bring home and combine parts/pieces to add the hyd lift to the 129,
    and find out why I had to remove the driveshaft from it so as to have neutral, as with the driveshaft in, it seemed stuck in forward and fought the starter/gen, when trying to start.....
    as said, I removed the driveshaft about 3 years ago when I got this machine, so I could verify that the engine ran, then parked this tractor to try and get other things done..... has served as a dust collector in between time.
    the shifter does tend towards neutral position, when pedal pushed. reverse seems nonexistent. Not asking for help "yet" until I get it home and see what is going on with it for myself, 1st.....
    I have since picked up a NICE 42" triangle deck with the angled mount idler pulley mule drive, that will go under this tractor until I finish the redo on the 48" triangle deck, that I also have for it.
    Once finished ("not until") will assess the leftovers and determine what might make good trade bait, what to hang onto as spare parts, and what just needs to disappear. I dunno why, but I have always wanted a 1X9, I do think they are the best looking of the IH built Cubs...….
    Don
    Kankakee IL

Comment

Well, my 1050 is nearly wrapped up (I've got the sheetmetal on it finally), I need to update that thread. The more I look at it (and it is a good looking machine) the more I think it needs a set of Ags. I definitely need to paint the wheels, I never got a chance, and I hope to use it this weekend.
      I want to replace the bearings in my 54GT deck. It should get new idler wheels too, we'll see.
      Need to get the 86 sold, but really don't want to. It's a nice little machine, just don't have the space.
      782 W/Y needs a heart transplant. If I can land a Command cheap enough and scratch up the exhaust system, it'll go under the knife. I need to change out the PTO bearing on it too.
      Dad's 1650 is out back. It needs to be brought in and gone through/restored.
      Going to super size my garden this year. Thinking I'll go large enough to go 30" rows. Started a bunch of plants in the house in those little seed starter kits. I have a lot of different peppers this year, including some Carolina Reapers (my Uncle has a large garden center about a mile from work & they got a lot of 'less common' stuff in, so I figured I'd grow a few). I'll have a bunch of different Marigolds for the wife, and I've got a couple varieties of sunflowers this year too, amongst the more normal vegetables.
      Neighbor lady wants me to work up a small garden for her this year too. She grew up on a farm in MI, her father grows a lot of produce. I know she's really looking forward to it. Last year we gave her & her family a lot of our extra veggies.

Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Carolina Reaper, hell ya!

Here is a funny vid of two chicks taking that challenge.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozHUec4sPc

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
          Winter looks like it is going to be wrapping up. Temps are going up, my grass is turning green and I'm starting to think about yard and garden work.

So.... anyone else have any warm weather Cub plans?
          Hopefully just engine oil change and sharpen the blades. Have used the 2072 2 or 3 times, 1811 twice. 982, 128, 2284 have yet to be woken from hibernation. Come to think of it, the 2284 does have a new set of seat brackets to be installed. and the I've yet to service the driveline or hydro--or replace the rear fuel lines...… It really never ends, does it?

Comment

My next major Cub project will be a thorough cleaning of my shop to get all the old parts, paint dust, and over-spray cleaned up. When that's done I'll get back on my 1782 "too good to scrap" project. It still needs axle seals and a radiator repair, then mount the 60" Haban deck and park it out front for sale. Grass season is about a month away up here yet and I would really like to have it ready. During the first few weeks you can sell just about anything with a sharp blade!

Comment

I have to give the little LTS125 a once over to make sure its ready for mowing duty before I put it up for sale but thats the only Cub on the property for now.... Im sure a few more will find their way here soon enough
              Lance S.
              Alberta Canada

Comment

Move 125 snow thrower machine out of shed. Move 125 lawn duty machine out of shed. Put 125 snow thrower machine back in shed. Sharpen blades on 125 lawn duty machine and put back in shed in front of snow machine.

Ready for lawn cutting and rolling if it ever stops raining and dries up enough to mow.

Comment

All the winter stuff I didn’t get done! Plus spring and summer chores. Wanted to semi restore a cultivator and pull the cover on the rear end. Clean all the funk out, new axle seals and braces, etc on the tractor. Got a retaining wall to put up. Garage needs a roof too, but I think(hope) it’ll make it to next year. Getting married in September and going to Colorado in October. Projects need done!
                  Rich

Comment

• J-Mech
                    J-Mech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Married??? You fool!!! LOL.

Just kidding.

• Yettrbomb
                    Yettrbomb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HAHA! Nah, she’s absolutely the “one”, although my free time is less now😂

• J-Mech
                    J-Mech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're in trouble....

Well the 982 got called out yesterday and tonight I put the 2284 into service. Yesterday also saw the 782 dedicated spray rig pulling duty. That's 5 machines that sat all winter with the fuel and batteries in them that fired right up. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket earlier this week? FWIW, I think I cranked them all only once since fall of the year. Even grabbed the Farmall Cub to mow part of the farm road tonight. Still haven't had chance to service anything and the shop is full, so spring maintenance will just have to wait.

Comment

• J-Mech
                    J-Mech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's usually what happens to me too John..... spring hits faster than I have time to get anything ready, so I just start and do the maintenance when I get time. My deal here is the days get longer and warm up just enough to make the grass grow, but it rains so much and stays so chilly that I don't want to service stuff because I don't have a nice warm and dry shop at home. I just wait until it warms up and do it outside my packed garage usually. When I had my shop in town, it was no big deal. Saturday or Sunday afternoon job.
                Working...
                X