• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I do this???

20190406_143652.jpg

What am I going to do with these?????
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

WHY YOU ASK. Must have been a hell of a deal. lmao What's the red primer machine behind the cub?

Comment

LOL! Kelly, it was a hell of a deal! Just went to buy the Cub. Guy wanted $500 for all 3. On the phone he said he'd take $300 for all 3, and $175 for just the 127. When I got there he met me in the driveway and the first thing he said was he wanted them all 3 to go with me and he'd take $250. I bought them all for $200.

The Cub is a 127 with a replacement engine. Looks like it hardly got used after the new motor was put in. Has WW and headlights. He said it ran when he bought it 5 years ago.

The Wheel Horse is a Charger 9 Automatic according to the model number. Hood saysit's a Raider 9, but I think the decal is wrong. It's in fantastic shape and has a deck on it.

No idea what the ugly MTD is, but it has a huge B&S motor and it's a gear drive. It has a deck but it looks like a heep of scrap metal to me. No idea what the model tractor it is.

20190406_154355.jpg20190406_154331.jpg20190406_154316.jpg20190406_154256.jpg
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Lance Skene
        OK bud.... what is the MTD? Where can I find a tag? You're the MTD guru, lol.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Nice haul Jon. You do this because you got a hell of a deal, that's why, or perhaps it's just to make brother Lance jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Doc View Post
            Nice haul Jon. You do this because you got a hell of a deal, that's why, or perhaps it's just to make brother Lance jealous!
            LMFAO!! This was Lances deal anyway! We're meeting up this week on Thursday to swap some tractors. He found this 127 on Facebook local to me and asked me to go get it for him. But we only wanted the Cub, lol. But for $25 more than the price of the Cub I got all 3. How can you say no?!?!
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

That MTD looks like it would make a great machine for trailer towing, fertilizer spreading etc.

Comment

I can’t believe you got them all so cheap! Glad I found it before we make our trip later this week. That 127 does look like it’s in pretty good shape. Watch me end up keeping it around 😜
                Lance

Cub Cadet, 73, 104, 106, 107, 125, 126, 127, 147 (2), 169, 1050, 1282, 1864

Comment

Awesome haul Jon.... I would suggest you sell the Wheel Horse... cleaned up it will cover all your expenses and your left with two free tractors. The MTD should have a plate on the lower left face of the dash... it looks to be either a 14hp/860 or 16hp/960.... the B&S # will give you the year but the high generator/starter and three bolt front wheel hubs suggests very early 70s..... pretty much identical to the two Im always posting about but mine are post '74.

Take a close look at the clutch and clutch springs... its basically the same as a Cub setup but a little more beefy. You need to get that one up and running so you can test it out for yourself
                  Lance S.
                  Alberta Canada

Comment

Nice haul buddy.
                    I'm pretty sure I'd of done the same thing. Most times you don't get much for that amount of money.
                    They can't all be turn key.
                    Make the best of each and every day.
                    Todd
                    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
                      J-Mech commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks bud! And yes, I agree. For the money it was a good deal!

I acquired a MTD 1000 a few years ago in a bartering deal that was built like a tank. It was missing to many driveline parts to make it worth restoring. The wiring was butchered. The upper grill was smashed as well. Ended up pulling the engine and selling to my friend that had a Speedex roller. Sold the seat and backrest to someone else. I kept the wheels the rest went to the scrapyard. I made out pretty good on that one.

Comment

dont think Ive seen an MTD 1000 unless that was a 760 with a 10hp and 3 speed Peerless.... those were called "Ten Hundred". Ive never had one of those... both mine are 960s with 16hp and 4 spd Peerless. These MTDs and the early Cubs are the only GTs Ive seen that use a fiber disc clutch.... everything else uses a tension pulley on a spring against the drive belt and there is no comparison in capability.

Jon was MTD yellow before??? might be a Wizard sold by Western Auto
                      Lance S.
                      Alberta Canada

Comment

Lance, when I get out of the house here later I will see if I can find a tag. I am pretty sure it is 16hp, and the trans appears to be the 4 speed Peerless. And yes, I do believe it was yellow and painted red. There is yellow paint showing everywhere, which was puzzling me. Western Auto used to have stores in my County, so I'm betting you are correct.
                        ​​​​​
                        ~Jonathan
                        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Skene View Post
                          dont think Ive seen an MTD 1000 unless that was a 760 with a 10hp and 3 speed Peerless.... those were called "Ten Hundred". Ive never had one of those... both mine are 960s with 16hp and 4 spd Peerless. These MTDs and the early Cubs are the only GTs Ive seen that use a fiber disc clutch.... everything else uses a tension pulley on a spring against the drive belt and there is no comparison in capability.

Jon was MTD yellow before??? might be a Wizard sold by Western Auto
                          Lance Skene you are correct. The guy I acquired it from called it a Ten Hundred. 1000 was easier to type. LMAO

Comment

Lance Skene I don't see a tag anywhere. Would Western Auto have put it elsewhere? Dash is plastic. I don't even see where a plate would have been. I've looked all over and I can't find a serial number plate anywhere.

Also, the carrier on the back looks like an optional attachment. It fits too perfect to be homemade I think. Any insight?
                            ~Jonathan
                            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                            X