very bad week, lost my dog to acute leukemia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very bad week, lost my dog to acute leukemia

Last week our greater swiss mountain dog Levi wasn't acting quite right. Sunday he was ignoring his food and his stomach seemed firm ( we did have his belly tacked to prevent twisting--common in large breeds)

After xrays, blood tests and such, he was determined he had acute leukemia. We could have spent thousands of dollars to get an extra couple weeks or a month but what kind of quality of life would it be?

We visited him at the vet on monday night but since the test results went all in, we left him overnight. Tuesday was when we got the bad news. We were spoiling him rotten and trying our best to keep him comfortable/

Tonight before supper, the vet came over and put him out of his pain.

My wife and I lost our buddy. He just turned 6 years old two weeks ago.

This sucks

Here's a cell phone video I got a while ago
    Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXUFS4gDoc

Jeff, I am very sorry for the loss of your beloved companion.

Comment

Sorry for your loss.
      Just a Cub Cadet 70. It was free.... Oh, a Brinly Cultivator too.

Comment

So sorry to hear Jeff. I remember seeing the picture of you and him on the couch on the other site.

Comment

Sorry about your dog Jeff.
          Cory.

One piece at a time...

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this Jeff. RIP Levi. I know exactly how you and your wife are feeling. I will be in the same situation in the coming weeks. My oldest boxer Angel has a mass half the size of a tennis ball on her right thigh that grew almost overnight. She also has a couple golf ball size lumps on her back as well. We are quite sure she is full of cancer.

Comment

• Jeff in Pa
              Jeff in Pa commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear about Angel.

This past Tuesday when both my wife and i were at work is when we found out exactly how bad it was. When I picked her up at work, we both decided to do what was best for Levi. That's what we did.

Son of a bitch, sorry to hear of your bad news Jeff.
            Oh it sucks having to make that decision. But it's what we humans sign up for, the day we bring them into our lives...
            Feeling for you and your wife my friend.
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog Jeff. Levi looks like a beautiful dog. I hadn't heard of that breed before so I looked it up online. They estimate only a couple hundred Swissys existed after WW2. Crazy.

I had to put my dog down in January due to bone cancer in her mouth. It was very aggressive too. I learned at that time just how common cancer is in dogs. Some forms are treatable, but the thing with dogs is they can't understand why they hurt like humans and they don't they don't have a sense of the future like we do. You made the hard choice and did what's right for Levi, even if it was hard for you.
              Brice

Comment

Sorry to hear about Levi, Jeff.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jeff. I am nearing the 1 year anniversary of having to put Myla down.

Comment

Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about Levi. One of my rescue's is starting to have some health issues and it just sucks that we can't make him get to feeling better. I feel for you bud. I'm willing to bet he had the best home he could have asked for. RIP Levi.

Comment

Originally posted by Oak View Post
                      Jeff, I am so sorry to hear about Levi. One of my rescue's is starting to have some health issues and it just sucks that we can't make him get to feeling better. I feel for you bud. I'm willing to bet he had the best home he could have asked for. RIP Levi.
                      When we had our other swissy, the vet said "if there is reincarnation, I want to come back as your dog"

Every day gets better but still not to the easy part

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your loss Jeff. We had to have our lab put down last year so I know your pain.
                        Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
                        Indiana, PA
                        Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Sorry Jeff... as Olds states I know what your going through.... It sucks.. Just know you did they right thing not to be greedy for yourselves and let him go before he suffered too much...
                          Randy
                          Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Sorry about your pup Jeff. Always painful to lose a pet.

Comment

Working...
                            X