2019: Yard and garden pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019: Yard and garden pics

Feel free to use this thread for your yard, landscaping and garden pics.

Saturday I put some lug tires on the 1050 and switched out the mower for the plow and plowed the garden. Barely dry enough, but a storm was moving in and I wanted to plow before another rain. Very wet here. Not much if any field work has been done, and very few things planted. It's getting late....

Sorry for the poor pictures, it was getting dark when I took them. The camera actually made it look a bit more light than it was. I finished in the dark, about 9:00.

20190518_201222.jpg20190518_201208.jpg20190518_201157.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Went out and grabbed a pic of it done this morning, since it was dark when I got done last night.

20190519_125630.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

20190515_201137.jpg
      Had a break in the weather early this week, so Wednesday I swapped the deck for the tiller on the 782. Had a few dry days so I went for it....good thing, as it rained Thursday.
      Thursday night I picked up a bunch of seeds & plants at my Uncle's (he owns a small garden center). Worked till 1 Saturday, and it started raining again, but not alot. We decided to plant our stuff.
      20190518_181301.jpg
      We picked out a bunch of diff varieties of Marigolds. Wife planted them along either side, mixing them up. I hope they grow up healthy and bright!
      20190518_181327.jpg
      I started the regular veggies. Put the tomatoes on the south end for more sun, then peppers. We've got probably 6-7 pepper varieties. I threw a Carolina Reaper in there too. Curiosity has gotten to me.

20190518_210049.jpg
      9pm by the time I gave up outside. They were talking rain all day initially for today....didn't happen but we had an early am shower and about a 1:30pm shower. I think that is the moon in the background.

20190519_200255.jpg
      20190519_200330.jpg
      Last 2 are this evening after I finished it up and fenced it. We have tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, celery, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, 2 kinds of carrots, 3 kinds of radishes, 3 types of onions, 2 kinds of sunflowers, beets, 2 pickles, 1 pumpkin, winter squash, patty pan squash, and zucchini. I also threw a few dill seeds in there. We'll see how they go.

I may plow out another section for gourds. They were insane last year so I want to keep them separate I think.
      Brian - Spring Grove, IL
      IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
      CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
      Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
      Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

• zippy1
        zippy1 commented
        Editing a comment
        GREAT preparation on the garden Brian.
        That's a good variety of plants. Should be eating good. Will you and the wife be canning any?

• SS5150
        SS5150 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to Zip. My parents used to can when I was young, but don't really remember how to do it (they used to can watermelon rinds-amongst other things- oh so good). One of my cousins still cans and I'm hoping she will teach us this fall.

Lookin' good there Jon.
      Seems rather "damp", but gotsta work it when you get that window.
      We're waiting for that "window" here to get the first grass cutting in. Pretty long...
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Your garden looks good Brian! You put a lot of things in there for no bigger than it is!

Yeah Todd.... it was on the heavy side, but you can plow, and you want to plow, when it's heavy. If you wait until it's dry, the plow pulls so hard and it won't go in the ground. It was dry enough not to stick to the moldboard, so it was good. Just a little sticky on the tires. But yes... I had a window to get it done and it was a small window. Glad I did. Now it will dry out. If all goes well, I may get it planted before we get hot and heavy in the field.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

What size is yours Jon? This is roughly 35' x 42'. I gave everything extra growing space too. I think the narrowest rows are 24".

I was hoping you were going to put up a garden thread. I always like seeing/reading about what other people are growing.
          Brian - Spring Grove, IL

Comment

How big is my garden..... HUGE, LOL!
            I just stepped it off. It's about 84X54, which is just over 1/10 of an acre.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

It’s been so wet here, I can’t hardly work in the yard or garden. We have a small one in the backyard, onions, red beets, peas, and cucumbers are in. I have yet to go to the other property and get that one ready. It’s looking hopeless for this year as it’s very very wet.
              Rich

Comment

Nancy got out the 85 today for its maiden voyage. She wanted something for trimming, and it worked great. "Little" wider than the push mower, and it's easier on the "ole girl." Works great for under and around the trees. And easier in the smaller areas, than the Bota.
                Time and energy well spent.
                As you can see in the one picture she was smiling. So the moral of the story, "A happy wife, is a happy life."
                Man, we have one of the worst years for dandelions, especially this early. The alfalfa fields are loaded as well. Must be all the moisture, and cool weather...

IMG_3224.JPGIMG_3226.JPG
                Todd

Comment

• J-Mech
                  J-Mech commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love it Todd! I was hoping to see some pics of the 85 earning it's repair.

Here's the question though.... is Nancy smiling because she likes the mower, or because some goofy guy was following her around taking pictures, lol!

"Love it Todd! I was hoping to see some pics of the 85 earning it's repair.

Here's the question though.... is Nancy smiling because she likes the mower, or because some goofy guy was following her around taking pictures, lol!"

Don't know Jon. As long as she's smiling.
                Todd

Comment

Great to see it in use. Good job Todd!

Comment

Flowering crab is full bloom.
                    Smells good too. But it don't last long.
                    IMG_3247.JPGIMG_3248.JPG
                    Todd

Comment

I asked my wife about one of those trees, because they look so nice, and she told me no.

8am this morning tilled up about a 6-7 ft x 30ft long strip at Moms so they can put in a little sweet corn. Dirt was a little tacky but worked up pretty well. Hope my brother got it planted as it started pouring at about 12:30.

Calling for alot more rain this week.....Uncle said he has 1/2 his corn in.
                      Brian - Spring Grove, IL

Comment

Well I have the “smaller” garden at the house in. We ended up with a few onions on a rotation, peas, red beets, cucumbers, 2 tomato plants, and reluctantly, watermelon. I try to stay away from fruits because they take up so much room. But the kiddo wanted to try watermelon, so that’s our gamble this year.

Took a ride over to my neighbors where he lets us put a garden. It was fairly dry considering all the rain lately. Anyone that remembers (or cares, lol) last year was my first attempt on this ground. I tilled it late, and it was too wet. We managed a lot of green and wax beans and a few potatoes. J-mech suggested winter wheat over the “off” season to keep the ground from getting compacted. As well as waiting for it to dry. I didn’t get any winter wheat on, as it kept raining. I plowed it today, it worked much nicer than I thought. Was a little tacky but nothing stuck to the plow! Earlier this spring I took the plow over and found the low spot and trenched a few paths to the creek, trying to keep it drained off. Seemed to work ok. No or little rain in the forecast for this week, so fingers crossed I’d like to till it and get the rest of our stuff in. My plan is to put much of the same stuff in just a lot more of it. Hoping to make this the stuff we can harvest and can/freeze or store, and of course we share with the land owner. Sorry for the long winded post, and tips or suggestions (ahem, J-mech) welcome.
                        Rich

Comment

• J-Mech
                          J-Mech commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks like it worked up decent. That 12" plow ought to roll that sod over better though. I'd say between the plow still looking like it has paint on the moldboard, and not driving fast enough is why it doesn't roll it better. Still plenty wet in the pic, but not too bad for plowing.
                          As far as suggestions..... you need a garden not in bottom ground next to a creek, lol. Get ready to cultivate it!

• Yettrbomb
                          Yettrbomb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Haha, I’ll agree on location! Cultivator is ready to go. We’ve had a week now with no rain. None in the immediate forecast either! Hopefully can get some stuff done!

Only pic I have of my yard this year is from last night after we got done setting up the new swingset. Can't wait to have one more thing to mow around.
                        Attached Files
                        Tim - It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
                        Indiana, PA
                        Check out my Youtube channel -

https://www.youtube.com/user/xOLDS45512x

Comment

Working...
                        X