2019 Farming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Farming

After all the rain finally stopped for long enough to let it dry out, we got in the field this week. It's late. Very late. Now we're going hard trying to get the crop in. I know you guys always enjoy this stuff, so thought I'd start a thread for this year's season. Any other farmers on here with pics to share post them up!!

20190603_190153.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

3 tractors all right together.....

https://youtu.be/jBfNkHwIBgM
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

7250 VS 3588 in a race....

https://youtu.be/TigCLJs70us
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I haven't farmed since my FIL passed about 10 years ago. The local farmers here are way late getting crops planted due to the excessive rain we've gotten here in eastern PA. The field across form me had corn planted almost two weeks ago. It's doing good but I hope they were able to get "shorter season" seed.

Jeff

Comment

I think most guys around here wrapped planting up this week. Lots of no till, and wet areas were just planted around. Guys started first cutting hay this week.
          Brian - Spring Grove, IL
          IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
          CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
          Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
          Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

No pictures this round. Our land we rent out to the neighbors, first crop alfalfa was cut yesterday, and harvested tonight. The small field in front of the house will be going under here in the next few days, and I'm thinking replaced with corn.
            They got the majority of their corn in three weeks ago, as well as the "new seeding". Been very wet here as well...
            They can't all be turn key.
            Make the best of each and every day.
            Todd
            Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Good work guys! Side note, J-mech, I’ve never heard you talk, obviously, but I never thought that’s what you’d sound like. Lol, guess it’s like radio DJs.
              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Yettrbomb View Post
                Good work guys! Side note, J-mech, I’ve never heard you talk, obviously, but I never thought that’s what you’d sound like. Lol, guess it’s like radio DJs.
                You know it's funny.... I can remember talking to guys I met online for the first time. Voice almost never fit what I had expected with the exception of Sam Mac. That guy sounded just like I had imagined!!

What I think is funny is in the video where I narrated, it tries to close caption at the bottom (at least for me it does) but it is trying to get me, and the radio in the background at the same time, so it makes no sense, LOL! I hadn't planned to narrate, so I didn't turn the radio down. I wanted you guys to get the full experience I guess.

We didn't work ground yesterday. Fixed equipment and quit at 3. I came home to try and plant the garden. What a god awful disaster! I'll have to tell you guys the story when I get a chance. Bad afternoon.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

• Shrewcub
                  Shrewcub commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, Sam is a Yankee and taller than I thought! Lol. He's moved to better ground now. You, Sam, and zippy1 sounded about like I thought y'all would.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Originally posted by Jeff in Pa View Post
                I haven't farmed since my FIL passed about 10 years ago. The local farmers here are way late getting crops planted due to the excessive rain we've gotten here in eastern PA. The field across form me had corn planted almost two weeks ago. It's doing good but I hope they were able to get "shorter season" seed.

Jeff
                You know Jeff, the interesting thing is, in a late year.... Unless it's really, really late.... a shorter season corn won't do as well here. Example: if we switched to a 90 day corn, it would make a crop and mature and mostly dry in the field and we'd have a normal fall. But if we stick with a 114 day corn, it will yield higher, but won't dry in the field. We'll have to harvest late, and dry it down. But, in a year like thus where the corn will be scarce, good chance corn will break $5 in the fall and it will be worth drying down. Farming is mostly a gamble. No matter what you do, it's a game of chance, and you seldom bring down the house. Best you can hope for is you don't make a stupid decision.

Thanks guys!
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

They are 4 -6 weeks late getting corn in. Yes, a bad year pays for the drying but it's still a big gamble.

Comment

What year is that 7250 Jon? Guys I used to help out with had a 7240 (it was a hell of a workhorse too) but it had the side vents under the numbers (like came out on the 7150s when they were introduced). I swear it had the 'MAGNUM' emblem between the headlights, and I think it had 'CASE IH' on the stripe (like yours) instead of the earlier 'case international'. I thought all the 7200s had the side vents,....guess not.
                    Those are some da*n good tractors. I'd have loved to see how they developed and evolved if IH had ever gotten them to the market themselves.
                    Brian - Spring Grove, IL
                    IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
                    CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
                    Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
                    Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
                      3 tractors all right together.....

https://youtu.be/jBfNkHwIBgM
                      Awesome vid. Love the tunes! N you were giving me shit about clods... lol

Comment

• J-Mech
                        J-Mech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol, thanks!
                        Yeah... that field had clods bad. It was the worst. But, I'm my defense, we didn't have a choice. Had to open it up on the heavy side, and waited too long to work it again. 5" of rain was forecasted, so we cut open a bunch of ground. Then all the rain just missed us. Anyone who worked ground that week dealt with it too.... which was pretty much everyone.

Not really farming, but it's almost dry enough to bushhog the 6 foot tall grass. I think someone is looking for a new bed tonight. IMG_20190611_201114895.jpg

Comment

One of my videos finally uploaded.

Comment

I had no idea how this would turn out. I doubt you can hear me, but I did a lot of talking, lol. I'll try again sometime.... maybe I can use a headset with a microphone? I need a mic....

https://youtu.be/q49D-GXxbxU
                          ~Jonathan
                          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Working...
                          X