• Show
Clear All

Old school car features

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...iJCVi1ynUCMdhA
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

I remember or have at least seen or heard of all of them. Lol. I had an old Toyota pickup with the vent window-they need to make a comeback! You can really move some air!!!
    Rich

Comment

Scott Oldham, the author, is nothing but a journalist in the auto industry..... and it shows. The article is pretty accurate, but he threw components from the 50'S to the 90'S in there and talked nasty of some things (like carburetors) that he obviously knows nothing about. Funny read, and so true that most young folks will never know some of the struggles..... like manual chokes, no abs, manual locks and windows and floor dimmers.... but some of that stuff was actually good and I'll forever miss it.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• jaynjeep
        jaynjeep commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Jon.. I miss alot of the old stuff.. I personally have no issues with hand crank windows. manual locks. manual brakes and carburetors.. It all works and seldom gives issues... and it can all be easily fixed if needed!

Yeah my first resto was a 65 Ford econoline. Converted the manual choke to a heat stove one with the new carb I bought, and three on the tree. Vent windows are the best when you don’t have AC. Unfortunately the occasional bee getting sucked in from them and blown directly up your shorts will ruin your day! Wouldn’t trade in those memories for anything. I learned a lot with that thing at 16 years old. From rebuilding the 240 straight six to learning how to weld and frying my eyeballs, totally redoing all 4 drum brakes, to paint and body, and swapping out the 9 inch chunk.

I will disagree a little with the guy who wrote the column. Although I will agree that fuel injection of course wins hands down overall, I’ve seen some carbureted vehicles, one my van, that when tuned properly, can start faster than anything else, almost instantaneously before you can even let go of the key, and run as smooth as silk.

Put some Cragars on it and gained some new friends through “high” school if you know what I mean. Was nicknamed the Gonja van and also the mystery machine. Still remember the color I painted it, peacock pearl metallic, a jaguar color I found that was a really nice green. My mom made curtains for it and my brother put the carpet in.

Also forgot to mention, not only did I have a floor mount dimmer switch but I had a manual foot pump rubber bellows deal that pumped the windshield washer fluid up to the window. My biggest regret to get rid of that thing. Stupid stupid.

EE47DDE2-9BB3-44FF-871F-B734A89B7BA2.jpeg

Comment

• J-Mech
        J-Mech commented
        Editing a comment
        That cool Mike. The story, and that you still have photos!

Very "kool" Mike.
      I had a 69 Chevy, shorty panel, no windows. In the winter, the girls loved riding in the center, on top the warm engine (doghouse) cause the rest of the rig was cold. That one had the hand choke mounted to the front of the doghouse.
      I remember, that thing would turn on a dime, and give you a nickle change. I'll have to dig up a picture.
      Yeah, young folks today wouldn't know what manual steering and brakes are. Power steering, by armstrong. And when intermittent wipers came out, that was a welcome thing. Shit, there's a great deal of things that make driving a "no brainer" now days...
      Found the picture.
      1969 van.jpg
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Working...
      X