Anyone else tired of mowing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else tired of mowing?

Usually by now, the only grass growing is buckhorn plantain and a few weeds. We had went a couple, maybe 3 weeks with no rain, but we needed one bad for the late gardens and crops. It rained today. Grass hasn't slowed down all year. Honestly needs mown every 5 days, but I'm lucky to get everything mown every couple weeks. Then it's rake and haul. This has just been one piss poor mess of a year! Anyone else just sick of mowing?!?!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

We've had a "hay field" look after mowing all summer. But where we live, I give two shits if it looks like hell. Just growing so fast. Especially now, with all the crabgrass growing, and heavy dew till early afternoons.
    "Sick of mowing?" Well, maybe a little, but sure not looking forward to what comes after. After last winter Jon, Nancy and I were seriously talking about pulling the pin, and put the shack up for sale, and head to a place with NO snow, and very little cold winters.
    "But", considering I've lived in this area all my life, I guess/hope I can withstand the winters a few more years till I die. "I hope." Then she can do whatever makes her happy...
    With all this knowledge out there, surprised no one had come up with a grass seed, that stops growing at say, 3 1/2" I'd be the first to plant it, and just use the tractors for other chores.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
      J-Mech commented
      Editing a comment
      I like my yard to look at least decent..... but this year I gave up. But the guy who's apartments we mow, he doesn't care either, until the tenants complain. Then he's calling me.

If you wanna move south, but still want some winter, move down here near me! But I'd suggest Indiana. I don't even want to live in this shit hole state, but I have to until my kids are grown.

Still mowing a couple times a week at least, split the yard up over 3 nights this week. With days getting shorter it's getting harder to get done. And I need to get a bigger mower I think. Couple 2086s and a 2082 for sale in driving distance....anyone know anything about 2086s?
    Brian - Spring Grove, IL
    IH 782 w/50c; Dad's 1650 (needs restored)
    CCC 782 dual stick w/44c; 1050 w/38c; 1861 w/54GT
    Parts 782, 1811, 1710, 1200
    Numerous IH, Brinly, Agri-Fab attachments

Comment

• J-Mech
      J-Mech commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd shy away from the 2086. Had a Kawasaki liquid cooled motor. Not a big powerhouse, and had some known issues. Cam gears would break. Stick to 2182's or 1782's with the Kubota motors if you want a liquid cooled engine.

it took longer than most years but I am down to once every 2-1/2 weeks now.... down from every 4 days
    had some creeping Charlie and some crabgrass (Johnsongrass?) but not nearly as bad as last year.... when I bought a tow behind sprayer and doused the He11 out of the yard with a 2,4D and Quinchlorac mix.... last year was my worst ever for weeds
    put down Scotts with "halts" as a pre emerge this past spring, but I'm afraid that much of that may have washed away with the monsoons we were having.... lots of dead brown patches, from going dry.... with the bouts of rain we have had lately the brown ness is slowly starting to go away.....
    other weeds have been few and far between this year..... been applying a lot of weed killer the last few years, different kinds.... but until this year, I have been finding myself been wanting to do "1 more application" over the course of a grass growing season but haven't gotten it done.... got it done this year but may still need "1 more" because IDK ho much of what I put down earlier this year got leached as we were so wet then.... I put more "weed" then "feed" this year.... got 1 more bag of leftover nitrogen and iron fertilizer mix in the garage but I'm gonna wait on that one....

Clover mixed in my yard doesn't bother me at all but unfortunately it is the easiest plant in the world to kill...… everything and anything kills clover.... there was a time that a "pasture mix" was all the "grass seed" that I could get to grow here..... I think I am finally past that.
    Don
    Kankakee IL

Comment

I'm still at it at least once a week.. Rode the 1782 about 3 hours Sat nite! I usually mow at night since it's so much cooler. I kind of enjoy it but i'm also kind of tired of it all at the same time!

Comment

I'm still mowing every week. Pretty much running the 2072, 2284, and 1811. Dad is the only one running the 2072, he can handle it the best. He and I mowed mine and his yards and along the driveways Monday night and that took 1 1/2 hrs. I still need to mow around the farm buildings. I spent over an hour just running the sickle mower around the farm in the last few days. Need to put on a rotary mower but there just isn't time right now. Hoping for some dry weather so I can cut a little bit of hay. I will say my yard is looking nicer than usual. We had somehow gotten in the habit of mowing too low. I reseeded last fall, put out fertilizer this spring, am mowing higher, and we are delaying mowing every time we get a hot dry spell.

Comment

You guys need to dig out a cub you haven't used in a while. Been using my 1864 to mow with the bagger. So damn sick of the thing plugging up and having to dump the bags constantly. Watta fn pita. Finally said f it, and took the 1450 off the snow thrower and dug out the mower deck...

renewed my interest in mowing

Comment

I just got my 1050 back up and mowing again after weeks of it being "broke down". Not really broke down, so much as indisposed doing garden work for a few weeks, but then I HAD to swap out decks. The old C series deck that came on my 1811 when I got it was absolutely wore the F*** out and wouldn't cut grass worth a darn anymore. Had a almost new A deck sitting ready, but had to be converted to the C style so I could put it on an 82 style tractor. FINALLY got it done. Works great now! So, sorry Trent.... I ain't going to be doing anymore work to dig out any more tractors in the middle of September. Hoping mowing season only has a few more weeks. In reality, I know it will probably last until November or something stupid the way this year is going.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I'm probably done just mowing. As the leaves are starting to fall, I let the grass and weeds grow longer. I collect the grass/leaves with a Trac Vac. The grass and leaves get dumped on a compost pile. When the grass is finally done growing the leaves without grass get dumped in the woods. I have an endless supply of compost. Here, if I dig a hole to plant trees, after I separate the rocks, I need something to augment the little soil to fill the hole. The Trac Vac and mower deck are usually put away just after Thanksgiving. Then the snow plow is mounted.

Comment

Working...
              X