Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap

Getting a 92 Cub 1861 with engine problem. Shuts off when it warms up and won't restart. Got a 87 Cub 1720. Will that engine fit the 92?

If the engine seems to run smooth, doesn't smoke, and doesn't have loud clanging sounds, I would investigate why the engine doesn't restart.

When not restarting, does it have spark? Does it have fuel to the carburetor? Is the air filter clean? Is the engine clean so it can properly cool?

Comment

This was bought new and trouble since day one. Dealer screwed around till warranty was out and since then closed down. It runs until it warms up and shuts off. Can't start it again till it cools down. We were thinking the heads are warped. I was just wanting to know if a 14hp from a 87 cub 1720 work in that.

Comment

No, the 1720 is a vertical shaft and should be 17 HP. 1861 is a horizontal shaft. I have seen vertical to horizontal conversions, but is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Sorry guys, just realized a typeo. The engine is from a 1320 to go on a 1861

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley J View Post
            Sorry guys, just realized a typeo. The engine is from a 1320 to go on a 1861
            Answer is still the same. One is vertical, one horizontal. Won't work.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thank you for the info

Comment

Sounds like a coil is getting hot and shutting down.. Do you have spark right after it shuts down on you?

Comment

• Wesley J
                  Wesley J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't remember. I'll have to check when I get it home.Parents just gave it to me. They got tired of messing with it and got a Troy Built. It's been sitting in the garage for years. Thanks I'll check that out

Originally posted by Chieffan View Post
                Sounds like a coil is getting hot and shutting down.. Do you have spark right after it shuts down on you?
                The CH 18 has dual magnetos, but you have the right idea. I doubt they are both shutting down. I'd be looking at the fuel system, specifically the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb.

Engine won't run, so just swap it out..... I never understood that line of thinkng.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

The CH 18 has dual magnetos, but you have the right idea. I doubt they are both shutting down. I'd be looking at the fuel system, specifically the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb.:
                  Seems we've seen this before on a other forum.
                  My memory isn't the best, but I thought it was visited before...
                  They can't all be turn key.
                  Make the best of each and every day.
                  Todd
                  Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

• J-Mech
                    J-Mech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah. We've been here before, lol. Not too many issues on these old yellow (and red) machines we haven't solved. Lol

1861 should be a Mag18, not a CH. Still dual magnetos but no fuel solenoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrewcub View Post
                    1861 should be a Mag18, not a CH. Still dual magnetos but no fuel solenoid.
                    My mistake, your err.

You are correct. I wasn't paying attention to the model number. 1861 is a Mag 18. And it is also a magneto motor, but not a dual mag. It's a single mag, dual output (wasted spark) and could very well be the issue. AND, it could still have a fuel solenoid. Wasn't standard, but we don't know what's been done over the years.

I change my position: check the Mag.
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

My mistake, your err.

You are correct. I wasn't paying attention to the model number. 1861 is a Mag 18. And it is also a magneto motor, but not a dual mag. It's a single mag, dual output (wasted spark) and could very well be the issue. AND, it could still have a fuel solenoid. Wasn't standard, but we don't know what's been done over the years.

I change my position: check the Mag.
                      My bad. I've only taken one Mag motor apart and that was a while ago. To quote your favorite author, "It takes a village".

Comment

Working...
                      X