tools for the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tools for the shop

I was able to pick up a 4" Kurt milling vise at an affordable price ( WAY less than the $650 list price for brand new). It has a small "oops" where the previous owner milled into it but that will not affect it at all. I made an adjustable stop for it since it didn't come with one. Depending on who has it for sale, they go for $70 to $110. I made mine from left over material from Cub Cadet parts

D40-1.jpg

D40-5.jpg

The part that bolts to the back is 5/8" diameter and I milled a flat so it would fit against the back.
    1026191913-00.jpg
    1026191913-01.jpg

1026191920-01.jpg

After the above picture was taken, I drilled and tapped the bar for a piece of 3/8-16 all thread. I also made a shorter cross bar.

1027191501-00.jpg

Here is the shorter cross bar in process. The holder in the vise is a square and uses a 5C collet.

1027191401-00.jpg

Since I make parts for Cub Cadets and for the Kawasaki Triples, I've purchased 5C collets in both inch and metric sizes. I also made a 5C collet adapter for my Monarch CK 12 lathe.

0925191832-00.jpg

Jeff

You got some serious talent there Jeff.
    Top notch like everything you build. Good work.
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Originally posted by zippy1 View Post
      You got some serious talent there Jeff.
      Top notch like everything you build. Good work.
      Thanks Todd. I made the 5C collet holder for the lathe too. I got a D1-6 dog driver for the lathe ( basically a chuck backing plate ) and mounted a plate to it. I machined a bore and drilled holes to mount the KAL 5C collet holder I got.

0924191923-00.jpg

0924191928-00.jpg

Got runout to less than .001 ( one third the diameter of a hair )

Comment

Jeff, I seriously wish I lived closer to you. After spending years watching guys do machine work, and hiring it done for myself, I went and got a lathe. (Years ago, and I've told you about it.) It's still sitting in the garage, as I got it just as I was closing up my business and have yet to set up a home shop. I really want to learn to run a lathe and mill (be a machinist). Found out a bit late that I had a chance to and didn't jump on it. But the guy didn't want to pay enough to live off of while training, so I said no. I didn't realize what he was offering though was a chance to learn the trade. Either way, he has a large enough business to pay a living wage even for a new guy as I was qualified in other areas where I could "earn my keep" while training on the machine tools. (They also do welding and rebuild gear cases and Fairbanks Morse "pump jack" engines (118's and 208's). One day I may get around to learning something new.

Great job and always enjoy pics and descriptions! Keep going buddy!
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
          Jeff, I seriously wish I lived closer to you. After spending years watching guys do machine work, and hiring it done for myself, I went and got a lathe. (Years ago, and I've told you about it.) It's still sitting in the garage, as I got it just as I was closing up my business and have yet to set up a home shop. I really want to learn to run a lathe and mill (be a machinist). Found out a bit late that I had a chance to and didn't jump on it. But the guy didn't want to pay enough to live off of while training, so I said no. I didn't realize what he was offering though was a chance to learn the trade. Either way, he has a large enough business to pay a living wage even for a new guy as I was qualified in other areas where I could "earn my keep" while training on the machine tools. (They also do welding and rebuild gear cases and Fairbanks Morse "pump jack" engines (118's and 208's). One day I may get around to learning something new.

Great job and always enjoy pics and descriptions! Keep going buddy!
          Go to trade school dingus

Comment

• J-Mech
            J-Mech commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard to support a family, be a dad AND attend classes full time bro. Otherwise I would. Closest place to go is where I originally went to college....50 miles away. But they do (or at least used to) offer night classes for machine shop technology.

Just do it nikemech

Comment

I have an old 1942 South Bend in the back of the shop.. I know just enough to be dangerous.. I learned in college.. had two metal machining classes but they didn't teach much on manual machines even in the 90's.. I learned a good bit from the old guy we got the lathe from.. 96 year old WWII veteran.. was a machinist on one of the battleships! I wish he was still around.. that fella could make that old South Bend turn out magic! He knew it inside and out.. would stop by on occasion and show me some tricks.. unfortunately he is no longer with us....

Comment

My Monarch CK 12 lathe was made in 1942 and is still a very good lathe. Abom79 on YouTube is a third generation machinist and you can learn from watching him. He's a very good manual machinist.

Look for the older books on running a lathe from South Bend, Atlas and other manufacturers. "Back in the day" they didn't have the internet and knowledge was gained from books.

Comment

• J-Mech
                J-Mech commented
                Editing a comment
                I watch/ follow MrPete222 (Also goes by Tubalcain.) He's a retired machinist and has a ton of videos on how to set up a machine to do different things. I'll have to check that other guy out. Wanting to move my lathe to another location here soon. Maybe this winter I can clean it up, fix it, and start practicing again. I kinda broke it....

• Shrewcub
                Shrewcub commented
                Editing a comment
                Check out AvE on YouTube as well.

Originally posted by Jeff in Pa View Post
              My Monarch CK 12 lathe was made in 1942 and is still a very good lathe. Abom79 on YouTube is a third generation machinist and you can learn from watching him. He's a very good manual machinist.

Look for the older books on running a lathe from South Bend, Atlas and other manufacturers. "Back in the day" they didn't have the internet and knowledge was gained from books.
              I do have several old South Bend books with tips and tricks.. yes they are very helpful.. Even got one that gives you instruction small projects.. I did make a really nice large tapered punch 15 years or so ago.. taught myself how to use the taper attachment and the knurling tool..

I need to take more time to learn and teach myself more.. I know that as with anything time and experience actually doing it is the best teacher..

Comment

Originally posted by jaynjeep View Post
                I need to take more time to learn and teach myself more.. I know that as with anything time and experience actually doing it is the best teacher..
                That was how I was wanting to learn. Books, videos and just doing it. I agree, time and experience is the real way to get good at something. Just like mechanicing. Time and experience is the best teacher. However, I do think trade school teaching fundamentals is the best approach to that career. Too many fundamentals to learn before a career as a tech.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Working...
                X