Wheel Horse 856

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Horse 856

Going to look at a 856 after work today. I have no use for it, but my 17 year old son found it and liked it, so I offered to go halves with him. My only interest in it is my dad brought me home an 856 when I was a young kid, otherwise Id have strongly suggested a cub. I know exactly nothing about them, so whats some things to look out for? Pics are poor quality but from what I can tell its been repainted and looks half decent but needs decals. Its a 3 speed but he said it comes along with a high/low rear end. Hes asking $400 which I feel is high considering theres no deck or blade or anything but I'm hoping he negotiates when I show up in person. Any other insight you guys could offer would be great.
    Jeff
    62 O, 1535, 1641, 1862, 1864, #4 cart

Jeff, I own one Wheel Horse I got in a package deal with a Cub. I know exactly jack squat about WH tractors, except that I can fix anything, lol. I can't help you a bit, sorry.

When I read 856 I got excited though, because IH built an 856 tractor and I think it has to be one of the best tractors IH ever built! Spent many hours on an IH 856.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Well, we brought it home. Not entirely satisfied with the seller as he failed to mention that 3rd gear was stripped until we got there. But he did throw in another rear with a hi/lo so that's a bonus. 6 bolts to get the whole assembly out, nothing like putting a creeper in a cub lol. It had a half decent repaint that looks presentable. It also has a newer battery, a new carb, and a new tube in one front wheel. My kid liked it a lot and seeing him happy and not wasting away on video games made the whole deal worth it to me. I already ordered a new drive belt and ignition switch, new decals will be next.
      Jeff

Comment

20200315_074857.jpg
        Jeff

Comment

• Redblower
          Redblower commented
          Editing a comment
          I think my buddy had one of those when we were kids, we beat the crap out of that thing learning what it would and wouldn't do, it did a lot, it had a push plow with it, and did't do too bad with chains and weights.

• Rumblefish
          Rumblefish commented
          Editing a comment
          The 856 I had as a kid I got as a roller. My dad found a 8hp briggs somewhere and mounted it but it was too tall to run a hood. He put a big pulley on the motor and aluminum slot wheels on the rear. It would do crazy wheelstands and run about 20mph. Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't break it or myself, or lose a leg on the unguarded belt.

Looks a lot like my Raider 9... or Charger 9, I can't remember which it is.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

I hope I don’t get banned for saying this, but that’s a good looking tractor!
          -Nick
          125, 126, 147, 129 x 3, 149, 1450, 1320
          3 42” Blades, 3 42” Triangle Decks, 2 44A Decks, 38” LT Deck, 42” Stone Rake, #4 Cart

Comment

Thanks Nick. My son wants to make it nice so maybe we can take it and my O to the Portland show. I guess I should count my blessings as at 17 he still wants to hang out in the shop with dad, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just wish he woulda found himself a cub so itd fit in with the rest of the herd. Oh well, at least it wasn't a deere!
            Jeff

Comment

My grandfather bought a GT-2500 Silver Anniversary edition before he passed, I used to wax it in Grandma's garage, then my parents took it when our tractor died. I was about 14 or 15 and I literally cried when they sold it. After losing that machine, I'm fairly certain it's the reason I'm hoarding several tractors today.

Comment

Awesome deal on the 856! Those are tough little tractors for what they are... Wheel Horse is my other secret lawn and garden tractor passion! My neighbor had one when I was a kid and I always admired and wanted one! Keep your kid happy and working in the shop.. he will look back on those father son moments many times later in life.. I know I do..

Comment

Working...
                X