Walker Mower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walker Mower

So, they guys I work for own Walker Mowers. Like 7 of them. I'd never even heard of Walker Mowers until these guys had them, and they've had them for years. Being a Cub Cadet guy, and always using tractor mowers, I wasn't super interested in anything but our beloved Cubs.... until I started a small lawn care business with my kids two years ago. Suddenly, a tractor mower was cumbersome, and slow. ZTR mowers are great, but I never used anything that I thought gave a good cut. Oh yeah, they're fast. You can cover a lot of ground with a ZTR and there are some really good ones on the market, but none that I thought cut even as nice as an old Cub Cadet. I'm picky. I want our lawns to look the best, and everyone has seen pictures, or in person, those beautifully manicured and cut lawns. That's what I wanted. I got to really paying attention to the cut quality that the Walkers gave when they mowed at the farm. Wow! None of the farm lawns are nice, and by that I mean not well seeded, lots of various whatever grows grass, weeds, clover and such, but the cut of it all looked as good as a small push mower gives. I got the "privilege" of servicing the Walkers last year and was impressed how easy they were to work on, and how simply they were built. That let to about a year long research into "high end" well grooming mowers. Well.... the Walker mower won out hands down in my opinion. So, after about two years of wanting one, this year it finally happened. I'm more than happy to give a more detailed review of the Walker brand, and supply more pics and such if there is any interest, but for now here is the only picture I've taken of it, lol. I spent 10 hours on the road yesterday (Tuesday) getting this one. I think I got a good deal. This is a model MT20GHS. T is the series, 20 hp Kohler CH20, and GHS is the Grass Handling System. Uses a vacuum blower mounted underneath to vacuum the grass from the deck and blow it (and I mean BLOW it) into the hopper. Hopper is 7 bushels, and is electric dump. I specifically wanted a GHS because we constantly fight overgrown grass and subsequently dead clipping every year on some yards, which is a compounding issue. I might not bag the grass every time, but this way I can when needed. Before, it was a rake, or a second trip with a sweeper, neither of which we get any extra (money) to do, so this set up should save time and money. Anyway, more to come!

20210330_152951.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

When a post has pictures, I look at them first, before reading or who posted. I immediately recognized the trailer, then checked the name. Well, the mower colors are correct, close; but a ZTR? Local dealer has been trying to sell me one for years. I'm pleased with my Cubs. They do everything I need mowing 4 acres and pushing some snow. I'm interested in your experience with your ZTR.

Comment

Thats a nice lookin unit Jon, Ive never had a Walker in the shop so dont know much about them but alot of people really like them. I havent used a tractor to mow for years but Im not a big fan of ZTRs... I prefer a front mount mower with rear steering and a steering wheel... they tend to ride a little smoother but still cut nearly as fast as a ZTR.... and leave one hand free for my whiskey. Lol
      Lance S.
      Alberta Canada

Comment

• sir_lancealot
        sir_lancealot commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I run. I’ve got a Deere F935 with a 72” deck. I can mow 3 acres in 90 minutes.

Lance Skene The Walker is a front mount mower with a squirrelly wheel on rear. All the benefits of a ZTR with the ride and cut of a front mount mower. I totally agree, I'm not a huge fan of ZTR mowers either and for the same reasons you stated. I too think front mounts do a better job and ride well.

bugeye The Walker isn't a fast mower by any stretch, but highly productive. Being it is able to turn on a dime speeds things up. This one I got is a grass collection system, so the deck is enclosed, no discharge chute. Now that is where the huge time saver has played in. No need to be careful where I blow grass, and no matter what side an object is on, I can mow next to it. I can square off a lawn going and direction I choose, which also really makes it look nicer. On a discharge deck, you always have to square off a yard the same direction. With this, I can switch it up, which makes it look much nicer.

Overall I am beyond thrilled with the mower! Having a fuel pump issue with it, but the new one came in, just need to get it installed. My mowing time for all our properties was really reduced. We mow 8 at current, plus my own. I'd add a couple more and not be upset. Cut quality was absolutely the best I've ever seen, and bagging up the grass really added to the look. Only bad news is, I filled the truck before I was done. I'll give more updates as season progresses.

20210402_171600.jpg 20210402_171611.jpg 20210402_191948.jpg 20210403_161254.jpg 20210403_183512.jpg
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Looks like a well built rig Jon. Hope it's everything you're hoping it to be.
        Nancy's been happy with her Bota. In a way, it's a front mount mower... 1 (6).JPG
        They can't all be turn key.
        Make the best of each and every day.
        Todd
        Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Thanks zippy1 Todd!

Glad Nancy likes the Bota. I bet it sped up her cut time too! I really enjoy running any equipment, but I have to get things done as fast as I can now or I don't get any seat time on the Goldwing, lol!!!
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Comment

I had a Woods Mower like that but no grass collector and it was still a PITA to turn in tight places....Some have the Hydraulic deck lifts which would be handy.... I love my 61 inch BobCat.... Beast..
            Randy
            Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Those are great mowers Jon and I see a lot of them down here in the south. From what I hear, they give the best cut of any ZTR but are not as fast as the others. I see a bunch of them with 42" decks but I do believe they make some bigger.

Comment

Well, I've put over 100 hours on the Walker so far this year. I still can't believe how nice this machine cuts. Just nothing compares. I only wish that I had some real grass to cut with it, lol. Not many people here try very hard to have nice lawns. At this point in the year it's mostly crabgrass, plantain, watergrass, panicum and ​​​green foxtail.... oh, and a few blades of grass. I really should start offering lawn reseeding along with turf care. Anyway, even with the crappy lawn weeds the Walker still cuts better. I hope to buy another one for next season. The grass collection system is awesome, but did add work to what we did. Took a good part of the season to develop the fastest way to deal with it. For next year I plan to add a newer GHS mower (collection) and put a non collection deck on the current one. The GHS system on my current machine needs rebuilt, and I think I'd be money ahead to buy a newer GHS machine with the upgrades I want, than to add them to the current machine. Either way, I am now Walker all the way for a mower. Still keep a deck on my 782 for mowing the ditch in front of the house and around the garden. Handy too if rain gets me behind with the paying yards. I can knock the grass down with it, then mow it a second time with the Walker to clean it up. The two work well together. Of course the Cubs will never be replaced for garden and dirt work. So good at those jobs. I'll have to try taking and posting some before/after pics of my yards and the Walker. Anyone with a yard that wants a great cut should look into a Walker. Great machine!! If all you want is shorter grass that you can cut at 10mph, the Walker isn't for you....... but still a great machine.
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Did it take some getting used to with that box on the back when turning in tight areas??
                  Randy
                  Frederick MD

Gotta kill it before ya can grill it.... TN

Comment

Originally posted by Leadslingingdaddy View Post
                    Did it take some getting used to with that box on the back when turning in tight areas??
                    Not really.... but it was a bit different. You sit pretty much dead center of the machine and on top of the drive axles. The drives steer it, so you are sitting in the center of a circle as it spins. How ever much you see in front is how much is behind you. (Not exact, but close.) Now Randy you know I farm, so running massive equipment is no big deal, and this is just a lawn mower, but it really was easy to get accustomed to. I do, however, bump things now and again with the rear. But almost always it is a pole, sign post or tree that I am mowing next to. As I approach whatever it is, I'll mow up to it, back up then go around it. As I straighten out once past, now and again I bump it. Just bump, not hard. Poles on the edge of a street next to curbs are what usually are problematic, but those are tough no matter what you use. I should get someone to video me while driving so I can post it. Wish I had a Go-Pro.
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

John, I worked for a Walker dealer from 1988-1996. I sold and serviced many! They were hands down the best bagging zero turn.. Around here we have a good bit of sand.. tended to be hard on blower housings.. But they weren't too bad to change.. all in all the Walker was very easy to service. The early ones had a bunch of chains and sprockets.. they were a pain.. but the later ones are fine machines.. When I left the CH Kohlers were what we were selling. Also had one with a Kubota in it.. The early ones had Briggs single flatheads and then they went to Magnum single 16 Kohlers.. the CH engines were big improvements..

Comment

Working...
                      X