Wheel Horse Charger 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Horse Charger 9

Some of you may remember back early in the spring, Lance found a Cub near me he wanted and asked me to go get it for him. Guy had 3 tractors he was selling with the Cub, but we didn't want all 3...... but then I ended up bringing them all home.

One of them was a Wheel Horse Charger 9. For some reason the decal says Raider 9, but the model number indicates it is a Charger 9. I am no wheel horse guy, but from what I can figure out, the Raider is a gear drive, Charger a hydro. It has a 10hp Tecumseh engine in it. Well, I decided to try and get it running this weekend. So I did. Worst part was forking over cash for a new group 51 battery, but got a deal on an old stock one from Walmart. Had to clean some connections, and take the starter apart and work on it. It has a few issues that need ironed out, but it runs now and drives. If anyone knows anything about WH's let me know. I found a couple manuals over on the WH forum, but need info or parts break down for the deck.

Here's a video, so you guys know it happened, lol.

https://youtu.be/CfxhjvKjbvI

Oh, I forgot to say that when I took it across the yard in the video, I figured I'd kick the deck on. Took off mowing, but it was only cutting with one blade. I thought, "Darn, one of the deck gear boxes is bad!" Well, turns out it only has one blade on it, lol. I took the deck off today and let's just say it needs some attention.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

On the deck, see how the brakeT that runs fore and aft is on one side of the rear bracket? Notice also the belt is out of alignment? I think the long bracket needs to be on the outside of the rear one. It is on the (as sitting on the seat) left side now. This will require complete disassembly, but the blades are also out of time, which is why I think it only has one on..... because they would hit. And did. The marks are on the existing blade where they hit. Anyone confirm this bracket placement?

20190707_170830.jpg20190707_170918.jpg
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

You're on your own buddy. I "had" two WH tractors I had to take on deals, and not knowing anything about them, they both went to new homes.
      They say, they are good machines. Can't prove it by me, but I just never liked all those belts and pulleys.
      They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Yeah Todd. This one is going down the road too just as soon as it's in working order. I don't want it, but I want it all to work and be repaired correctly so as to appeal to a collector. Not that they'll pay more, but I'd rather a 1968 tractor go to a collector than someone who just wants a cheap mower. Call it "respect to fellow GT hobbiests" if you will. I'm far more enclined to pay $X for a correct machine that needs work than the same $X for one that has been gone through and repaired with incorrect parts. This one will still need work when it leaves, but I want it running and able to cut grass. I might use it now and again while I wait for it to sell.
        ~Jonathan
        Oblong, Illinois

Comment

We sold Wheelhorse and Simplicity garden tractors. Both of that era were crude and clunky but were built fairly well. While the Wheelhorse had a stronger rear axle than the Simplicity, I preferred the Simplicity for the superior mower deck and the company support. My dad, on the other hand liked the Wheelhorse over the Simplicity Sovereign. Thankfully, he liked the IH built Cub Cadets over all of them. Nice save on the red one.
          Queen Of The QuietLines

Comment

Beth, I wondered if you would see this and reply. I thought that maybe you had sold WH with the Simplicity tractors, but wasn't sure. Any idea if that deck is assembled correctly? I scoured the interwebs, and found one picture of one of these decks, and it was assembled the same, so I'm inclined to think it's correct. I mean, what are the chances that two have been done wrong? Plus, this deck doesn't look like it's ever been apart. But it hangs crooked, and the deck caster hits the rear tire on the left side. And the front tire gets into the drive pulley when turning. Surely that isn't "just how they are"?
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Comment

The deck appears to be assembled correctly. Early Wheelhorse decks sucked in my opinion. This looks like typical shitty WH deck. Cumulative wear throughout the mounting system, the hanger and deck results in the problems you are experiencing. Personally, I sent these damn things to the auction ASAP.
              Queen Of The QuietLines

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaCub View Post
                Personally, I sent these damn things to the auction ASAP.
                I think that's probably exactly what I'll do! Lol. I might get the deck timed and put new blades on it, but only so I can use it (help get my money back out of it) until I sell it. With all this rain that hasn't stopped, I can't keep up with mowing this year. Another tractor with a deck is not going to hurt my feelings even if it cuts like chit. As long as grass is a little shorter after it passes I'd be happy, lol!
                ~Jonathan
                Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Is there a nut and lock washer behind the drive pulleys? That doesnt make much sense so maybe check if those can be removed so the belts line up better... just a guess... Ive never had a WH here. Nice to see it moving under it own power... somebody will pay good $$$ for it
                  Lance S.
                  Alberta Canada

Comment

Thanks Lance. Yes, I noticed the nut and washer too and thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be there. I'll play with it more. I too am hoping someone will part with some cash for it!
                    ~Jonathan
                    Oblong, Illinois

Comment

Don't know much about the old Wheel Horses but I always kinda liked them.. Neighbor had a really nice 12hp hydro back in the 80's. I'd cut his grass just to get to run it! I think I liked it cause it was Red! Best i remember it was smooth and cut really well. had a K series Kohler mounted sideways.. might have been a model 120 or 1200.. can't remember. I do remember the matching throttle on one side and the choke on the other.. both were slide levers and matched each other.. voltage regulator was mounted under the dash but the cooling fins stuck thru the dash panel for cooling I guess.. Funny how you remember little useless tidbits like that.. Always thought I'd pick one up if I ran across one but they aren't common in this neck of the woods..

Comment

• J-Mech
                        J-Mech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can hook you up Jay!
                    Working...
                    X