Hi from central PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from central PA

Hello from Central PA. In my younger years I was into the old tractor scene a cub cadet, a few wheel horses, even a david bradley, mostly something to play around on, I had an old cub cadet 70 with a snow blow and wheel weights that was a beast. I was looking for something for my son to play around on and grow into the mechanical side of things, I had picked him up a project tractor but as I dug into it I found it was more of a project than it was really worth, especially since just about anything safety related was hacked out of the unit. I happened to spot a simple add for a cub cadet tractor that they were looking to get rid of at a price that I assumed had to be a typo. I reached out to them and confirmed it wasn't a typo, the owner had passed away and they just wanted to get it out of their yard. So away I went to pick up my first cub cadet tractor in over 20 years. What I ended up getting was a 169 in fair condition with a 50 inch deck that will need some work. All I was told is it had electrical issues. I pulled down the service manual and started digging into the unit. The original key ignition is there but no key, an aftermarket ignition was put in where the filler hole, I believe I've seen cigarette lighters in there before, is at, that didn't have a key either. I picked up a cheap 3 position ignition from the auto store and armed with the wiring diagram started getting things hooked back up the proper way. When I did I discovered I only had about 6 volts at various places on the system, such as the coil. After a bit of digging, I discovered the drop was on the other side of the charge indicator. Here they had an aftermarket sunpro voltmeter installed there instead of an ampmeter. I just bypassed that for now and proceeded to get good voltage everywhere it needed to be and got the motor turning over. Now I'm on to my next project and that is getting spark. The points weren't making contact, I did clean them up a bit and got contact but I still don't have spark, I ohmed out the spark plug wire and found depending on which way I flex that it sometimes has continuity but most of the time it doesn't. That issue seems to be in the wire not in a connection, so I'm going to be getting a new wire locally. I also ordered a kit with new points, a condenser, and spark plug. Hopefully after all that I'll have spark, leaving the wild card as the coil. With everything else being messed up I wanted to go over how it was wired when I got it and see if someone could confirm things are backwards. The power from the ignition went into the negative side of the coil and the points and condenser lead hooked up to the positive side. The wiring diagram would seem to indicate that the power from the ignition should go into the positive side of the coil. I assume the condenser also hooks up to the positive then the lead from the points goes to the negative.

Thanks!

Congratulations on finding a 169, and welcome to ECC! You may not realize it, but you now own the second most rare Cub Cadet that IH built with only around 4000 units made.

I would politely ask as a collector that you try to put it back together as it was built and not make too many modifications. Lots of the parts for the 169 are still readily available, such as the ignition switch it was missing, and there are places you can buy a new wiring harness for it. I believe that in our "parts resources" section there is a link to a man who builds new "factory" wiring harnesses.

As far as your question regarding the coil, the points should be on the negative terminal, and key power on the positive terminal. You also need to verify it has the correct coil on it. People will just throw any parts store coil on a Kohler engine, and then constantly burn the points out. Sticks in my mind that it is supposed to be a 3 ohm coil, but I would want to verify that.

Post up some pictures!!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• youngcuboldcub
      youngcuboldcub commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I certainly didn't realize that at the time I picked it up, it wasn't until I got home that I realized just how lucky I got. It does have the factory ignition and I found a key on-line for a couple bucks. I almost ordered it figuring I could test the original ignition switch to see if it works, but much like the amp meter, I figured I would wait to make sure I can work through this ignition issue before I start throwing money at other things. I've been surprised at the availability of parts for what I've been searching for. The only thing I didn't find as of yet, was the side panel with the hour meter, in reality I think that is the only major thing missing other than a few screws here and there. Assuming my deliveries come on time, I'm hoping I'll have it up and running by the end of the weekend, then I can get it outside and get some good pics to post.

I was doing some more digging and I believe you are correct about it being a 3 ohm coil. I was getting more like 1.5 ohms out of the one on it, so I guess I'll add that to my list of things to replace. Hopefully the ignition was the only place the previous owner/s were messing around with!

Cool. Not all 169's had the hour meter. You do find the brackets for sale now and again. You can get new aftermarket ammeters with the IH on them too.

Does your 169 have manual or hydraulic lift?
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

That's good to know about the hour meter. I decided to order a new coil as well so I can cross that off my list. Mine has a hydraulic lift, all the hoses, pipes and the cylinder look to be in good shape, no signs of leaking. The front tires on it are pretty much shredded, by dumb luck I stumbled on someone local getting rid of a set of original style ribbed tires on rims. The color leads me to believe they're cub cadet rims, but I'm guessing from a newer model as they have bushings as opposed to ball bearings. Either way I can move it around much easier and will buy me some time refinishing the original rims, which isn't at the top of my list

Comment

Working...
      X