Tricycle front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricycle front end

So as not to go off topic on another thread, I wanna know more about Zippy's 125 and any other tricycle front Cubs you have built. Thank you!!

What you want to know?
    What I did was buy a "kit" with the tires, wheels and pedestal.
    I know some guys were building theirs from "scratch". I think the pedestal is a John Deere axle tube. I used to remember what models could be used, but not anymore...
    I know I had to use a different oil pan, as the drag link goes under to the opposite side, and interfered.
    It's a "kool" little tractor. But it's only a rear attachment tractor, as it leaves the PTO useless...
    IMG_0205.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpg
    They can't all be turn key.
    Make the best of each and every day.
    Todd
    Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

Something you should know about tricycle front tractors: They tip over a lot easier.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks for the pics! That doesn't look too difficult at all. I see how it would interfere with the PTO belt, though, and that is no bueno for my application. Gotta get tighter turns from the tiller tractor, and I'd run my plants over with the cultivator

Comment

Any thoughts on putting the pivot on a plate farther forward, out in front of the frame, still allowing the mule drive to be mounted behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesedawg82 View Post
            Any thoughts on putting the pivot on a plate farther forward, out in front of the frame, still allowing the mule drive to be mounted behind it?
            You'd still have to deal with the steering rod, and the funny way it would look too, lol.

You just need to upgrade one of your tractors to a 3 turn steering box, and maybe modify the front to turn a bit shorter. The NF tractors only had a 2.5 turn steering box, and the WF early tractors didn't turn very short. When they came out with the 3 turn box, the turning radius changed quite a bit. I think the switch was either late in the QL tractors, or in the 82 series.... I can't remember, maybe someone else can. But I know by the second series of MTD tractors they all had 3 turn boxes, so like a the 1710's and similar. The 3 turn box will fit even in the NF tractors, so just find one of those and make some mods. Actually, you *can* put a front axle in from a QL or 82 style tractor in the NF tractors. They will fit, and do turn shorter. Also, tri-rib tires make a huge difference. I prefer narrow ones like on my 1050 for garden work.
            ~Jonathan
            Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

• Cheesedawg82
              Cheesedawg82 commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems like the 106 makes the turn tighter than the 149 with skinnies, oddly enough. I'm sure the fact that every tie rod is shot and the wheel bearings aren't far behind doesn't help much. I was planning to move the hole in the spindle when I fixed all that.

I get the feeling I'd be a lot happier if I swapped the 149 for a twin stick x50 or 784 anyway. It would be awesome to have a second set of remotes for a power angle plow and the ability to build a log splitter/post driver one day, maybe run a porta power.

Tricycle front would still be cool though.

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post

You'd still have to deal with the steering rod, and the funny way it would look
            Yes, it would bear the same resemblance as a COCKshutt

Comment

Add a 3 turn steering box and a super steer axle you will be making really tight turns even with a wide front! They work really well..

Comment

Working...
              X