HP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ?

My 1320 (1992) kohler motor has a 12.5 label on top of engine but the engine tag says cv14s spec 1418 when I Google cub 1320 it shows 12.5 hp do which is it?

The Cub Cadet 1320 came out with a 12.5 hp Kohler CV12.5S. Now, the Kohler CV engine series used the same cubic inch displacement for the 11, 12.5, 13 and 14 hp engines. Each engine did have its own model and spec that denoted the horsepower it was rated at. Both the model and spec codes you posted indicate your engine is a 14hp. I would say that at some point in time someone replaced the engine with a new 14 hp, or used a motor from a 1420 Cub Cadet. They simply put the original 12.5 hp top cover on the 14 as they were all the same motor. Typically, when Kohler used the same displacement for multiple horsepower engines, the difference was typically in the carburetor in the form of a throttle plate stop that limited max throttle opening, thus limiting horsepower. It was very easy to turn a CV11S into a CV14S just by making minor mods to the carb.

Hope this helps!
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Thanks so much, That makes sense I appreciate the info

Comment

Working...
      X