Drop in starter voltage command cv 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop in starter voltage command cv 23

Guys….I have a cub cadet zero turn that I just picked up… it has 12 volts at the battery, but only 4 volts at the starter post on the starter (the wire coming from the ignition switch) if I unplug the wire and test it I get 12 volts when the key is in start position, once I plug the wire back in the voltage is then 4 volts…. And ideas what might be up??

I do not have your mower. But, my Cyclops Cub Cadets have had starting issues due to what I believe to be wire connection degradation at the multiple safety and ignition switch. I suggest finding a wiring diagram and follow from the battery to the starter solenoid. After multiple attempts to correct the no start condition by cleaning connectors, testing and replacing switches, the problem returned months later. My solution was to add a small relay with a fuse (ebay or automotive store <$20). The relay is energized by the ignition switch wire to provide full battery voltage to the starter solenoid through the relay contacts.

Comment

bugeye is right on. There are multiple safety switches that the starter energizing wire goes through before making it to the starter. You don’t list the model and year of your machine, but typically the start circuit includes the seat switch, parking brake switch, neutral switch and PTO switch. Sometimes only the parking brake, neutral switch and PTO switch. If you list the year and model I can see if we have a wiring diagram you can look at. I’ll need the model number off the serial tag please. Go ahead and give the serial number also.
      ~Jonathan
      Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Working...
      X