Differences in k161s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in k161s?

This being asked for comparison to the k161 as used on a 73 vs another one off of an original. I remember this having been brought up before but can't find it now.
    I have a chance to buy a rebuilt k161 or at least the long block of one, for what seems a very good price.
    yeah, I know how people's version of what is rebuilt can vary greatly. The seller is willing to let me pull the head for a look before I buy it. The price is less than the parts and machine work will cost to redo the original engine that is now in service.

This engine has no sheet metal or tags, it came from a 1967 or 1968 WH. It was rebuilt and tossed onto a shelf to collect dust. The plan is to swap the sheet metal, carb and starter/generator over to this long block so that my son can use his tractor while I rebuild his original long block the right way. And then possibly put it on to his 73 once his Original engine goes back in. The original existing engine from 1963 is there and accounted for, and runs/// but it's just tired. And will be reunited with it's original chassis once gone thru.
    So what attributes are different between a k161 as used on the original vs one used on a 73? Anything to prevent a given long block from being used on one or the other?

We are going to measure the crank and take pix of the original engine before we go see this one to compare to. But if something is drastically different to a point where this replacement that has popped up flat out won't work, then we won't go for it. Who knows what about this particular one?
    Don
    Kankakee IL

The difference between the engine on an O and a 73 is nothing. Same engine. The difference between a CC spec'd engine and a WH spec'd engine might be in the crankshaft nose and oil pan.
    ~Jonathan
    Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mech View Post
      The difference between the engine on an O and a 73 is nothing. Same engine. The difference between a CC spec'd engine and a WH spec'd engine might be in the crankshaft nose and oil pan.

They can't all be turn key.
      Make the best of each and every day.
      Todd
      Original's Start to Finish vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs

Comment

well..... went out there and checked it out.... it seems it is what he said it was, he didn't remember what model it was, no ID tags or shrouding to ID it....though he did advertise it as a 6hp, he said that he "thought" that they ordered the kit for a K161/ he pretty much insisted that I pulled the head and have a look, by his admission, it was a hone and reassemble with std everything., cyl looked ok, clearance around top ring land looked way better than the last K341 that I dealt with haha.....but I didn't have my bore gauge
        he said new piston, rings and rod. had plenty of compression as I spun it, before I pulled the head, for sure...… got it cheap, it'll do what we need it to, between now and when we get the original engine overhauled (the right way) and then get that put back in...… bad part is it is a k141 not a 161. I measured the stroke when I pulled the head.
        Don
        Kankakee IL

Comment

I doubt it is a K141 if it is a Cub Cadet motor. The 141 was a 6.5 HP engine. The K161 was the 7hp and the smallest offered in a CC tractor. The K181 replaced the K161. There is little difference between the 161 and 181, mainly being stroke. There was a bore change and a block design change in the 161's though. The early blocks were not cast to accept the larger 181 stroked crank. The later ones were. The early 161's had a 2 7/8" bore if memory serves and the latter having the 2 15/16" bore. The block change was made at the same time as the K161 and 181 share the same block. You can put a K181 crank in an early 161 block but you have to cut the bottom of the cylinder with a grinder to make room for the larger swing on the crank. I think the K141 shared the same block but had a shorter stroke yet than the 161..... service manual doesn't say. But it was smaller cubes, so I think that is correct.
          ~Jonathan
          Oblong, Illinois

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's obsolete!

I've got a lot of Cubs in the barn....but I have more implements/attachments!

Comment

yeah I know this isn't a "cub cadet engine" per say it was originally out of some WH. ..... but it will do what is wanted. My son wants me to rebuild the engine in his Original but wants to be able to play with it while the engine is apart.... this will let him use as a butt buggy, and tow tractor for a fertilizer spreader or cart.....
            eventual plans are to stick it into his 73 which was bought for his girlfriend as she wants a mini version of the purple Farmall M that shows up at the local tractor show every year, that 73 will never be anything but a butt buggy from then on..... a 141 is enough for that, it was cheap..... and it ISN'T a lousey a$$ed Predator piece of junk.
            Don
            Kankakee IL

Comment

Working...
            X